Re-wire AC adaptor for JVC portable CD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fins5

Member (SA)
Jul 12, 2010
HELP NEEDED! :-)

Cleaning my closet, and lo and behold, a JVC XL-R10 Portable CD player. Circa mid-80s, very heavy and well-built with a high-end feel. Google says it's similar to the Technics SL-XP7.

Problem: It has a really oddball power connection with flat blades. This takes a specific AC adaptor (same adaptor for both JVC and Technics models).

Luckily I have the connector tip (the blades) because I removed the player from a JVC boombox that featured the slide-out CD unit. But, just the tip and three wires attached.

I'd like to use a Universal AC adaptor, basically mating it to the tip's wire leads. BUT....(and here's where my lack of knowledge will be apparent) - the original tip has three blades (pos, neg and grnd) and the universal adaptor has just two leads I can see (pos/neg).

So, if I just hook up the pos/neg and don't have a ground, will I be jeopardizing the health of this CD player? :huh:

Superduper

Member (SA)
I know nothing of those models but most equipment that is powered by DC, with (+ / - / GND) and has 3-wires are powered by a dual power supply. For example a +/- dual 15 volt supply would have +15v --> GND --> -15v. The electrical potential between the +15v and -15v would be 30vdc, with GND the midpoint.

Dual 15v power supply means +15v - 0 (ground) for the first supply and 0 (ground) to -15volts is the second supply.

or

+15v --> 0v (ground) --> -15v.

fins5

Member (SA)
Jul 12, 2010
Thanks for the quick reply, Super!

Seems my old universal adapter won't be filling in, but luckily partstore.com sells a replacement.

71spud

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
I would not count on PartsStore to actually HAVE the replacement.... they may have the stock number of what the replacement should be.... and they may take your money and hold onto it for a few months.... but actually send you something??? I hope so, but don't count on it. :-/

This CD player was actually on my wanted radar... I wanted a 1986 era portable JVC CD player to go with my pre-CD player boomboxes and this was the exact one I was looking for. A while back I bought an original brochure for it and I knew that was it!!!!! I finally found one on ebay a few weeks ago and it works great and is in very good condition. It did come with the power adaptor... that was a must for this odd-ball. So if you need any specs off the original adaptor, or need some output voltages read let me know, I will be happy to check for you. :yes:

Nothing for sale though... this is a keeper for me!!! :thumbsup:

fins5

Member (SA)
Jul 12, 2010
Thanks 71spud. Turns out your hunch was right about partsource. :-/

As for specs, I've got both manuals (operating and service) for this model, so I'm good there. I think my strategy will be just to keep watching ebay for a parts model or the standalone compatible adaptor, and in the meantime see if I can pick up one of those benchtop/testing power supply units so I can try the player out.

Since you have a working model, what are your thoughts on this JVC player? How's the sound quality compared with your other units?

And, any chance of getting a brochure scan? :-D :-D

71spud

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
I have not done any side by side comparison. It is not a big deal for me, it was state of the art for the time period and that is what I was looking for. I would be happy to scan the brochure for you.... I would be interested in a scan (or originals) of the user and service manual if you could do that... We could swap. :-)

fins5

Member (SA)
Jul 12, 2010
Definitely state of the art for that period...really out of my price range at the time! lol

No problem on the scan swaps, athough I can't get to it for a couple of weeks. Just learning to use my new scanner, and work is full blast. Will let you know when they're done.

Status
Not open for further replies.