anyone own or used to own Pioneer HPM-100 speakers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterBlaster84

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Northern California
Nice score, I'd go for a pair if I could find them local for a decent price but so far $300 for a decent pair is all I've found.
Let us know what you think, I've never actually heard them just going on information I've found on them and word of mouth.

ahardb0dy

Member (SA)
I'm getting them for $100 for the pair, and the guy even told me if for some reason they don't work he will take them back. His wife made him put them out in his garage and he also told me he doesn't own anything anymore to hook them up to, but he did say the last time they were hooked up they worked and he said they get LOUD. He's a good guy so I trust him. They must be in good condition, (haven't even seen them yet) cause he told e the other day he cleaned them with some Murphy oil stuff. Will find out this weekend.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Just reading the specs for the speakers makes me think that they will destroy your trailer, Tony. :lol: Do you still have that Sansui G-5500?

stormsven

Member (SA)
Jan 14, 2011
Sofia, Bulgaria
Yea a neighbor in the city (were is my apartment but i live mostly in my villa) have them. He is a singer and making some commercial for tor for radio. He use em for monitoring. They sound pretty nice - what you give em they will reproduce it the same. Really good speakers. And for 100 bucks is a steal. Congrats.

ahardb0dy

Member (SA)
need recommendations for a pair of replacement tweeters, they are both not working in these speakers. Some people have said the Vifa from parts express is a very good tweeter and at a unusually low cost but wanted to see if anyone has any recommendations. Tweeters must be 8 Ohm and inexpensive, thanks

MasterBlaster84

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Northern California
Vifa ring radiator tweeters are highly regarded.
I don't recall what type of tweeter is in the HPM's (metal dome, silk dome, etc.) but generally speaking it's best to stick with the same type of tweeter with as close to the originals specifications as possible. That being said you could use any type tweeter that has similar specs and be perfectly happy with the results, it's really your ear that makes that final determination. Part of the appeal of the HPM's was that they used good components and engineered the speakers to work together rather than the cheap way of just throwing drivers in a box and calling it good. Staying true to the original is best if possible.

MasterBlaster84

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Northern California
Tough call, I think most modern tweeters would likely be an upgrade to the old cone style. Unless you can find somebody who has already done upgrades on the HPM's it's going to be a good dose of experimentation on your part. I wish I could give you advice on which tweeter is the best replacement but I honestly don't especially when upgrading from an old style cone tweeter.

MasterBlaster84

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Northern California
Well I just now remembered I have some NOS tweeters sitting around I was thinking about selling, oh well you should be fine with the Daytons. Let us know how they work, of course since the old ones didn't work you don't have a point of reference so they should be an improvement. :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.