HOLY FARKING HELL!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Did anybody else see this auction? Some guy was selling 55 sealed TDK MA R-90 cassettes. Final price was $3,362!

But, here's the real shocker...

The winner was OCD4U and he only placed one bid. :-O :-O :-O

[ebay]130473944825[/ebay]

jaetee

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Florida's West Coast
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm surprised, but not really. Are you sure it was him?

The guys on Tapeheads.net had been talking about that auction for a solid week... It got lots of press. And ironically, OCD4U joined tapeheads last week! And he was asking lots and lots of questions about which tapes are the best and why and such...

Funny that he did not mention to anyone that he was the winner of the auction. Maybe because the general consensus there was that the price was in the "stoopid" category, as one of the regulars there put it....

Also, he posted a thread with his 1980's Japan store pics showing all of the gear. In fact, the one with all the reel to reels is their "image of the week" right now.

Of all of his posts that I saw (didn't see them all, and don't care to) I did find this response in a thread about his boomboxes the most interesting.... Thought some of you guys with some history on S2G might think so too.

Chekkitout:

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrokeeper
Holy Crap DM4!!! Got enough boombox's there??...what a stable of goodies you have there!! You need a warehouse,that's for sure!! Rob

No - What I need to do Is Sell 99 Percent of them as they have taken over my life for
the past SIX years as I desire to move to something else - Like not having to be around
this stuff all the time and get a life doing something else

Superduper

Member (SA)
It comes up to $61 per tape which isn't that bad. In fact, on a per tape basis, it's a good price. The thing is with a single bid, he obviously was willing to pay more than that. I guess bus drivers make good money. Either that or he just doesn't know what to do with his money. In any event, truth be told, he can probably make money selling them off individually and it's likely to be a decent investment since I don't see those tapes getting cheaper any time soon.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
jaetee said:
I'm surprised, but not really. Are you sure it was him?
110% positive beyond a shadow of doubt. :yes:

jaetee said:
The guys on Tapeheads.net had been talking about that auction for a solid week... It got lots of press. And ironically, OCD4U joined tapeheads last week! And he was asking lots and lots of questions about which tapes are the best and why and such...

Funny that he did not mention to anyone that he was the winner of the auction. Maybe because the general consensus there was that the price was in the "stoopid" category, as one of the regulars there put it....
It seems his modus operandi is the same as when he was on S2G.

1) Find out what people are talking about

2) Spend crazy amounts of money to win the auction no matter what (maybe piss off a member he knew had been waiting years to find the item)

3) Brag about purchase to try and look cool

4) Repeat

MasterBlaster84

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Northern California
jaetee said:
This is exactly what he did to members on S2G to find out what others wanted then he sneakily snatch it out from under them. :thumbsdown:

MasterBlaster84

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Northern California
Superduper said:
It comes up to $61 per tape which isn't that bad. In fact, on a per tape basis, it's a good price. The thing is with a single bid, he obviously was willing to pay more than that. I guess bus drivers make good money. Either that or he just doesn't know what to do with his money. In any event, truth be told, he can probably make money selling them off individually and it's likely to be a decent investment since I don't see those tapes getting cheaper any time soon.
Your thinking to logically Norm, this tool is reckless and careless. If you truly knew his long history you would just shake your head and laugh at him. He didn't buy them because he's mastering tape recording or because he wants to sell them off one at a time he just wanted them because he read on tapeheads that this was the tape to have and he wanted to scoop them all up for himself. His madness has no true meaning other than he wants what others want and he'll stuff his apartment to the ceiling with it all.

71spud

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
He obviously doesn't have any ideas of his own... or taste... so he relies on others to give him the heads up on what is cool. Pretty sad... and expensive for a quick brag. At first I thought he might have just sniped a snipe and bumped the price very high on accident. But looking at the bids it appears to have been over 3 grand before he placed his bid. I know of someone who bid 10 grand on every boombox he ever bid on. Sure he won, but he relied on the second highest bidder to not "overvalue" the item. You get two of those guys bidding in the same auction and .....ooops...

jaetee

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Florida's West Coast
Yup, you guys nailed him down 100%.

I'm surprised none of you commented on his remarks... I'll post them again.

COPIED FROM TAPEHEADS.THREAD:

Originally Posted by retrokeeper: "Holy Crap DM4!!! Got enough boombox's there??...what a stable of goodies you have there!! You need a warehouse,that's for sure!! Rob"

Reply by OCD4U: "No - What I need to do Is Sell 99 Percent of them as they have taken over my life for the past SIX years as I desire to move to something else - Like not having to be around this stuff all the time and get a life doing something else"

From that, it seems to me that boomboxes are no longer of huge interest to him anymore??? But hasn't he still been buying them up like mad?

And now that he is on Tapeheads learning about decks and tapes, does this mean he will start focusing is compulsion on scarfing up all the TOTL component decks that he can get his grubby paws on.... Lovely. :-/

To be honest, part of me wants to expose him there for the person he is, but part of me wants to let him hang himself all on his own. It's only a matter of time.

MasterBlaster84

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Northern California
jaetee said:
Reply by OCD4U: "No - What I need to do Is Sell 99 Percent of them as they have taken over my life for the past SIX years as I desire to move to something else - Like not having to be around this stuff all the time and get a life doing something else"

From that, it seems to me that boomboxes are no longer of huge interest to him anymore??? But hasn't he still been buying them up like mad?

And now that he is on Tapheads, does this mean he will start focusing is compulsion on scarfing up all the TOTL component decks that he can get his grubby paws on.... Lovely. :-/
He's losing interest because he's been booted from the forums where he used all those boxes to brag and now there isn't much life left in it from Youtube or any other place he's tried to brag. He'll surely find a new interest if others will entertain him and it sounds like tapes, tape decks and maybe vintage stereo gear may just be his next compulsion. If he does move on to something else it will be good for all remaining boomers, as for his own stash who knows. He has never been much of a seller obviously so I don't see him putting much effort into unloading them, in fact my thought is he'll just stuff the crap from his new compulsion in with his old and not sell anything.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
You will never see him sell any of his acquisitions. :no: He had been talking about that at S2G before he was banned the first time. He got lots of advice from us and still did nothing. If anything, we'll see him on the TV show "Hoarders."

He's still buying boomboxes although he is not paying as much as he used to (on average). He did buy a Luxman turntable though. Maybe that was the spark for him moving into component gear.

Here's the list for the last six months:
Code:
28.89      SANYO M7760K RADIO/CASS. BOOMBOX, MW/SW1/SW2/FM
22.51      Net MD WALKMAN MZ-NF520D (new in box)
66.00      Vintage Sharp QT-77 boombox,mint.
303.52     LUXMAN PD-284 Auto Lift DIRECT DRIVE TURNTABLE MINT!!!
216.37     LASONIC TRC-922 GHETTO BLASTER BOOMBOX VINTAGE RARE
22.72      Sony BoomBox Silver (ugly-ass egg)
127.51     Rare Philips D8514 Powerplay Machine made in Austria
150.00     LASONIC TRC-920T GHETTO BLASTER BOOMBOX VINTAGE RARE
66.00      VINTAGE TRIDENT CX-473F BOOMBOX 
212.50     Vintage Panasonic RX-A2 Ghetto Blaster Boombox w/ Mixer
52.00      COOL RARE VINTAGE SANYO M-GT7A "THE OUTSIDER" BOOMBOX
203.02     JVC RB-NV1 BoomBox with MP3, iPod Adapter, Guitar Jack
24.49      PANASONIC RX-F20 FM/AM STEREO CASSETTE RECORDER BOOMBOX
100.01     VINTAGE JVC STEREO RADIO CASSETE RECORDER RC-838JW 
50.00      JVC RC-838 JW Radio/Cassette Boombox 
13.00      Sony Sports ZS-X7 Audio System - AM/FM & CD Player
95.79      Rare Vintage Sansui Portable Component System CP-77W
56.00      SANYO BOOMBOX STEREO RADIO CASSETTE M777OK WHITE PEARL
11.50      Toshiba Vintage Boombox RT 8700S as-is repair parts
33.00      Sharp Stereo Radio Cassette Recorder  (QT-77)
311.66     Sanyo M 7830K Boombox AM FM SW1 Cassette Ghettoblaster

MasterBlaster84

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Northern California
I don't see how he can move in his apartment anymore, it was floor to ceiling several years ago and he has kept on buying. :blink:

What's it going to be like when he starts stuffing HP100's, Mach One's and SP-X3500's all over the place. :weed:

Superduper

Member (SA)
MasterBlaster84 said:
Your thinking to logically Norm, this tool is reckless and careless. If you truly knew his long history you would just shake your head and laugh at him. He didn't buy them because he's mastering tape recording or because he wants to sell them off one at a time he just wanted them because he read on tapeheads that this was the tape to have and he wanted to scoop them all up for himself. His madness has no true meaning other than he wants what others want and he'll stuff his apartment to the ceiling with it all.
You could be right Don. I've already spent too many brain cells trying to figure this dude out. I'll save my few remaining brain cells to troubleshoot boomboxes instead and leave the psychoanalyzing and psyche deciphering to you guys with more experience with him. I'm moving on and not gonna worry another second about him.... life is toooo short.

Status
Not open for further replies.