Powering my Lasonic

Status
Not open for further replies.

im_alan_partridge

Member (SA)
Jul 21, 2010
London, England.
My Lasonic runs on 110 and over here in the UK we have 240volts.
So im using an old laptop powerpack with adjustable output to run it. I set the volts to 15 and plugged it in the DC socket on the rear and it seems to work fine.
Am i doing anything wrong using this powerpack???

im_alan_partridge

Member (SA)
Jul 21, 2010
London, England.
Oh what a tool :bang: you know i never even noticed that was a 12v in socket, i was thinking 10 x 1.5v d cells was 15v so it would be the same.
Ive only used a few times with the laptop powerpack so hope ive not done any damge so far.

Have now tried a universal DC adaptor (@ 12volts) that i got a while back to power a portable CD player and although it powers the unit, at anything above half volume the speakers start to make a sort of thudding distortion type noise when using the ipod dock (it is an i931).

When i got the boomer the seller included 10 durecell rechargable d cells, so i think i may get a charger for them and just power it that way :-)

Gluecifer

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Belmont, Australia
I'm not sure how much current the 931 sucks down but be aware some transformer/power packs don't deliver enough milliamps to drive it properly.

Had a similar issue with my M90, I had to try half a dozen 240-110v step down convertors before I found one that wouldn't crap out at higher volumes.

With the powerpacks, I've tried numerous ones on u.s and .jp radios and had minimal success. Most of the time the milliamps are too low to drive the volume anything above 1/4 volume and in some cases I've had decks lock up on a few as there wasn't enough juice to run the amp and the deck. And when these locked up it usually meant taking the radio apart and manually resetting the the deck back to a neutral position.

I'd recommend a decent quality voltage step down convertor. By decent, I mean avoid ones sold as 'travel adaptors' and instead buy one from an electronics shop. I've got about half a dozen of these around thanks to collecting imported videogame consoles for the last 15 years, if you need numbers or specs to make sure it'll work let me know. I can get the info off the one that powers my M90 correctly.

If it'll power an M90 it'll work on ANY boombox, I'd expect!

Anyone in a 240v country (UK, Australia, Europe) should really look into getting a good stepdown convertor if they want to import blasters from the U.S and Japan.

Rock On.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
If you are handy you may be able to get a used transformer with switch out of older trc931/975. This will enable you to use the 240v. I believe they all have same input meaning volts, watts and amps :hmmm: I am sure someone knows this for sure :-)

im_alan_partridge

Member (SA)
Jul 21, 2010
London, England.
Thanks for the replys guys,

Glue, if you could let me have the make of the one have, thanks.

Floyd, the in that ebay ad has spaces for a plug with what looks like flat pins, my radio has round pins is there two types in the US?

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
im_alan_partridge said:
Thanks for the replys guys,

Glue, if you could let me have the make of the one have, thanks.

Floyd, the in that ebay ad has spaces for a plug with what looks like flat pins, my radio has round pins is there two types in the US?

no only the flat 2 prong kind , i thought your lasonic might have a usa type plug on it :huh: my bad man ,i'll keep looking till i find something that works for you :-/ .

im_alan_partridge

Member (SA)
Jul 21, 2010
London, England.
Ive just noticed that it it says 12v dc at the socket where i plugged in the laptop powerpack in the first pics i posted, it also says input 15v dc in the main block of writing in the last pic i posted :hmmm:

im_alan_partridge

Member (SA)
Jul 21, 2010
London, England.
Forgot to mention the seller also included one of these...

Im sure this just changes the plug shape and not the voltage so i didnt use, as i thought it was an American plug and therefore a 110v unit.

Now, as i now know this is a Eu plug, im thinking did/do Lasonic make Europeon units and can i just plug this in (with the above adaptor) to my 240v supplie. The plug does look properly moulded on, not just bodged on.
But it says 110 on the back :hmmm:

Have emailed the seller, see if can shed any light.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
im_alan_partridge said:
Forgot to mention the seller also included one of these...

[ Image ]

Im sure this just changes the plug shape and not the voltage so i didnt use, as i thought it was an American plug and therefore a 110v unit.

Now, as i now know this is a Eu plug, im thinking did/do Lasonic make Europeon units and can i just plug this in (with the above adaptor) to my 240v supplie. The plug does look properly moulded on, not just bodged on.
But it says 110 on the back :hmmm:

Have emailed the seller, see if can shed any light.

it looks like a simple plug adapter i would not plug it in to a 220 volt outlet using that adapter because the minute you turn on the power it will fry the unit.

im_alan_partridge

Member (SA)
Jul 21, 2010
London, England.
Hey Floyd, thats totally what i thought, however i have now had a reply from the guy i bought from.

Heres the message i sent followed by the reply...

Hi.
Absolutely love the lasonic but got a question, hope you can help.
I thought these stereos were imported from the USA and it also says on the back that the AC voltage is 110v which i think is also American. Howerver the plug on the stereo looks like a europeon plug and the adaptor you included, i think, just changes the plug shape not the actual voltage.
Did you use the adaptor and hence was the stereo ever actually plugged into a 240v UK socket, or did you run it just with batteries.
I just dont want to risk blowing it up.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Hi its def for uk 240volts i have try it myself you
wont blow it up on 240v. it isnt 120v that was ebays
silly automated description.
just remmeber to flip the switch on back to AC power
more mains to work.

The guy seems pretty sure it will work fine on 240v but im still a bit unsure, im gonna stick with the d cells for now.

In the mean time if anybody knows if Lasonic do manufacture units to work on 240 for the European market i would love to know.
They are are sold in Europe, but are these units 110v and supplied with a transformer???

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
well if thats the case and it has a european type plug already it must at least work with 240 volts but it's your call man i don't see any reason why it would have a european type plug unless it was made to run 240 :huh:

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Sometimes a power supply might have a switch inside the boombox for selectable voltage even though only one voltage is listed on the case back. Might be worth a look.

im_alan_partridge

Member (SA)
Jul 21, 2010
London, England.
Ok, so ive slapped on the adaptor ( didnt know which way round the Eu plug is meant to go in, turns out it dosnt matter!), flicked the switch with my eyes shut and ears covered, and ....it works :-D i guess if it was going to blow it would have bean immediate? ive only used for about five mins and all seems well.

So it looks like Lasonic do make units for the Eu market, whether its by a switch inside as Fatdog suggested or some other means??

Thanks to all who helped with this. :-D :thumbsup: :breakdance:

P.s. I took delivery of my other Lasonic direct from the US today and now know what a US plug looks like :-D

Charl

Member (SA)
Feb 26, 2012
Leon, GTO. Mexico
The 15 volts probably wouldn't have done anything to it especially if the battery/12v power circuitry uses a voltage regulator, that I'm not sure of. But as you said it should be getting 15v from the batteries anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.