The Taira M90 - Heavy Duty Custom Dreamblaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gluecifer

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Belmont, Australia
My holiday project is to turn Ira's classic M90 with the diagonal stripe pattern, which had seen better days, into my Dreamblaster.
This is what I started with:

She'd had a hard life and the paint had really started to show how hard the life had been. Thing is this M90 sounds as good, if not better, than my near-mint one!
So she really needed some attention and for the last couple of months I'd been planning my ultimate idea of a custom blaster paint job for her. The M90 is often criticised for being very utilitarian in design and I wanted to take up the challenge to make her look as hot as she sounds.
This then became my, as they say in the videogame industry, target render for what I wanted her to become:

This design draws upon almost everything I love about 80s design. I wanted this to look like it could've been done in the 80s and was very careful about introducing any elements that would appear too modern. Colours were most important, and the the bright pink/magenta contrasted with the aqua/blue and black made this radio really POP! Adding some yellow details to compliment the stripe motif was the final part. The stripe motif was found on the internet and fitted exactly with what i had in mind. The colour cast of the original was changed to match better too.

The idea was to paint her all and then get the striped patterns commercially printed. The only element missing from the photoshop is the text to go over all the controls. I've created these in Publisher at work (hard yards, let me tell you!) and will have these printed up as well, white text on black. This means the little panel about the cassette deck controls remain unchanged also.

So, it was off to work! Taking her completely apart was the first task. Much to my extreme happiness this was not as hard as I imagined! The M90 is almost enitrely built on an internal chassis and everything plugs in and out. Once the main chassis was removed, the speakers and other bits and pieces came out super easy. Next came lots of cleaning and my first ever drip tip!! She cleaned up nice after a good soaking and it showed me alot of other little imperfections I hadn't noticed before.

I spent many hours sanding her back. There was a lot of work here. I wasn't planning on fully removing the old paint job as some of it was still very intact, especailly the white around the speakers. The main problem areas were around the power and radio band panels. As evidenced below there was even more custom paint work hiding underneath a layer of poorly applied silver paint.

The next step was some undercoating action. I found out by accident that the pink paint I bought is very translucent. Even multiple coats would allow darker colours underneath to show through, so thoroughly undercoating everything white was going to be even more necessary than usual. Lots of work and two cans later everything was undercoated.

Super clean!!

I wanted to experiment with the speaker grills as I figured painting these was going to be the hardest. Two goes and two strip backs to bare metal got me this far, hopefully I've got it sussed!

The pink will be added to the top and then the purple stripe will be added last. I'm not looking forward to doing the tweeter grills.. smaller will mean much harder. That's for tomorrow though.

The buttons were all undercoated, sprayed and then finished with a stain topcoat and look rather nice.

Bold and bright!

The speakers on this particular radio were the worst condition I'd ever seen! Stained through environmental conditions as well as the over spray from when the speakers had been painted numerous times over the years. The surface was appalling. My intention was always to have bright yellow speakers and a few coats later they came up superhot!

Shame they won't be very visible at all behind the grills, but at least I know they a hell of a lot more protected than they were.

That brings us up to the end of the second day of the project!
I'll keep posting every day theres news until she's done!! I'll have to wait for the stripe decals and text as all the printshops are closed down until Jan 10. So I'll see how far I get in the meantime!!

Rock On.

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
this is such an exciting // important project --
wish we all could be down there to watch it happen :drool: :drool:

it would have been the focus of the planets greatest all-world box meet :thumbsup: :yes: :yes:

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
im_alan_partridge said:
...and whats a "drip tip".
A Drip Tip, sometimes referred to as a Full Patron, is when you disassemble the boombox enough to submerge the front and back cases in a bubble bath. OSS lovingly calls it bath pr0n. :lol:

Gluecifer

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Belmont, Australia
Damnnit! I forgot to get photos of the Full Patron for OSS! Shameful. I hope he can forgive me.

Ford93: I used regular spray paint, these speakers needed as much help as possible and I don't think fabric paint would have covered well enough.
The edges where all the travel is got far less paint than the cones though.

Thanks for all the encouragement rockers, more painting to commence now!!

Rock On.

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
hey glue --its gonna be a relaxed // fun ride from now on -- :cool: :surf: :surf:
the front view was critical --and you slam-dunked that !!! :drool: :thumbsup:

on the m90-
there is nothing happening on the top / back or sides -- :-O ;-)
so --you have total artistic 'free-play' :w00t: :-D

enjoy :breakdance: :breakdance:

Gluecifer

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Belmont, Australia
The first concession has had to be made unfortunately.
After an exhaustive search of every retailer of spray paint in my town it's come to pass that there is zero aqua spray paint available.
This is disappointing!! But, if you pay close attention to the mock up, the blue on the bottom of the speaker grills is actually a very light blue, and I've managed to match that colour almost 100%. With spray paint I'm limited to whay is available locally as it's prohibited to ship aerosol cans through the post.

The blue is ON however and is looking rather striking!

The only other hiccup so far is that I compleltely forgot about the battery cover. So that's been undercoated and will be pinked up later tonight.

In better news the speaker grills are nearly done and look awesome!!

More pix to follow later on today.

Rock On.

Gluecifer

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Belmont, Australia
Time for some real painting today! Weather is perfect for spray painting with a temperature of about 25-28 degrees celsius and only a slight breeze around.

Getting the body painted was the first step, I worked out it should be best to do it in sections to allow for the minimum of masking and chance for overspray. As the pink is so poor at covering over other colours that went on first.

Nice!

Next was the speaker grills. The first two colours went on great. Only part left was the purple across the middle.

Some masking to protect the pink and the blue was to go on next.

Hot! The blue is a lot less washed out than it looks in the above pix. I'm liking this new blue a lot.

The more paint that goes on the harder and harder it gets. The purple on the speaker grills is going to prove tricky and the black stripe around the middle of the M90 after that.

Photos of these jobs hopefully later on today; if I get it right!!

Rock On.

Status
Not open for further replies.