M90 Deck Problem..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghettoman

Member (SA)
Jul 7, 2018
Manchester, England
Hi guys,i need help,when i assemble the deck,it continuously keeps trying to engage all the time,keeps clicking..so i investicated and found a problem,the mode cog seems ok,and it has a brcket on a spring that seems to sit perfect,but at the same time,the teeth seems to be overshot..i just cant figure it out..has anyone had any simular trouble ? i really need to get to the bottom of it,any help would be apreciated..

here is a pic of the problem..

Ghettoman

Member (SA)
Jul 7, 2018
Manchester, England
Hi monchito,yes i am aware of the ir pick up,but the mode cog has the mech arm bracket that i have marked sits perfect underneath,and it is sprung in place perfect,but the teeth for the capstan is offset,i thought the bracket would line up underneath while at the same time,the gap in those teeth would be centred at the same time,but it does`nt..if i want to centre the gap so the capstan stops engaging,i have to manually centre it with my hand,then soon as i let go,it springs back to where it was and it starts clicking and trying to constantly engage all the time again,its totally puzzling :huh:

Ghettoman

Member (SA)
Jul 7, 2018
Manchester, England
yes the solanoid is working ok,but i cant get it to go into any mode because the fly wheel is constantly running and the teeth of both mode cog and capstan cog is constantly engaging because the position of the teeth on the mode cog is offset,when it should be centred..i dont know how to get the teeth to centre..soon as i switch the boombox on,the motor spins and the fly wheel starts spinning,and the deck just clicks clicks clicks..

Ghettoman

Member (SA)
Jul 7, 2018
Manchester, England
hi floyd,no,on the mode cogg,it has the gap,its sopposed to sit there when in stop mode,when you press play ect,the solanoid is supposed to set the mode cog in to action with the capstan fly wheel,it supposed to do a revolution,then sit back in that position again until you press stop,then its supposed to engage again to stop..but the teeth on the mode cog are set too far to one side,so..with it not being centred,the mode cog is catching on the fly wheel all the time when it should`nt be..but when its sat there all wrong,theres that lever arm on the other side (which i marked) that has a triangle blck underneath,the mode cogg has the same cut out on it,they both match up,the bracket sits perfect on the underside of the mode cog,but the teeth are offset..its really odd..i dont get it..
Oh that big hole what you can see,that is where the capstan comes through,and the fly wheel cog is attatched to that..

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
i think sinister had an m90 deck for sale ,im not positive tho ,check the for sale section dave was selling some boombox parts and i thought i saw an m90 deck in the parts lot.

hemiguy2006

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Is it just me or are these M-90 decks overly engineered for a boombox tape deck???
What a PITA!!! :grim:

monchito

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
pythonville florida
ok lets see if we can at least track down what happen ok the first thing why you ended up desmantaling the deck you must of been having some problems right ? ok what was the problem to begin with first that way we can try to track this down,

Ghettoman

Member (SA)
Jul 7, 2018
Manchester, England
hi monchito,soon as i got the m90,i switched it on,and it made the clicking noise,thats why i had to take it apart,when i stripped the deck down,thats when i found the black mode cog off centre,and engaging with the fly wheel all the time..
first thing i did was took the deck out as a whole and held it in my hand,then spun the fly wheel by hand,when i did that it started to click ,and the mode wheel just kept spinning with the fly wheel,thats when i took the fly wheel/capstan out,then seen that the teeth on the mode cog was a bit off centre,the mode cog is like its ready to engage all the time..very strange..
it does`nt have to have power going to it,..it does the clicking sound even if i spin the fly wheel by hand..

monchito

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
pythonville florida
well maybe either is missing or something got worn down you have to remember there are a lot of parts that are nylon a piece can break even though not visible unless you look at it very closely ,, check where the capstan sits make sure the base is sound (sorry not sure if there was a pin or something that touches any part of the capstan not only the belt ) ok ,,a wiggle of any part or a missing spring can create havoc or something worn or bent that cog wheel should spin only when you turn on the power the first time it should stay stationary until you press play or stop and can be pushed by the selenoid or a pin under the capstan wheel as on some decks the other motor only works for rew and fwd which unless you are using the music search would disengage play :-) :-) :-)

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
Ghettoman said:
hi monchito,soon as i got the m90,i switched it on,and it made the clicking noise,thats why i had to take it apart,when i stripped the deck down,thats when i found the black mode cog off centre,and engaging with the fly wheel all the time..
first thing i did was took the deck out as a whole and held it in my hand,then spun the fly wheel by hand,when i did that it started to click ,and the mode wheel just kept spinning with the fly wheel,thats when i took the fly wheel/capstan out,then seen that the teeth on the mode cog was a bit off centre,the mode cog is like its ready to engage all the time..very strange..
it does`nt have to have power going to it,..it does the clicking sound even if i spin the fly wheel by hand..
Hi g

Ghettoman-Sounds like your having the same problem as I am!
Good luck-maybe if we're both lucky we can have em' going!!
have a great weeeknd-GB. :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.