Vintage cassette tape prices ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

zyklon69

Member (SA)
Aug 28, 2009
No matter what some one will sell vintage cassettes cheap just because of human nature.Remember cassettes are real time analog and require
lots of time to record,much more time than 99.9% of the population will put into them.People buy 10 cassette tapes and record one.Monitor ebay and your favourite tapes can be found at $1 a piece regardless of formulation.Avoid the warped Hitachi /Maxell formulations that were concocted to sell Nak decks.A cassette tape meeting Philips standards needs no correction or an over rated Failamichi cassette deck.Sony and Goldstar are in the top 5 of the best formulations ever,TDK tapes also worth seeking.Maxell is the Bose of cassette tapes and is best discarded in the nearest trash can,all hype.Sell all ur unwanted tapes on ebay,Jens will buy them at megaprices.p.s.hope Jens stocks up on belts and cassette motors,both of which have not been made in 10 years:))))
Paying mega $$$ from mega sellers on ebay is stupid.With patience you will be rewarded with quality tapes at a fair price.Why pay $10+ for a $2
tape from an ebay mega crook? :breakdance:

jaetee

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Florida's West Coast
zyklon69 said:
No matter what some one will sell vintage cassettes cheap just because of human nature.Remember cassettes are real time analog and require
lots of time to record,much more time than 99.9% of the population will put into them.People buy 10 cassette tapes and record one.Monitor ebay and your favourite tapes can be found at $1 a piece regardless of formulation.Avoid the warped Hitachi /Maxell formulations that were concocted to sell Nak decks.A cassette tape meeting Philips standards needs no correction or an over rated Failamichi cassette deck.Sony and Goldstar are in the top 5 of the best formulations ever,TDK tapes also worth seeking.Maxell is the Bose of cassette tapes and is best discarded in the nearest trash can,all hype.Sell all ur unwanted tapes on ebay,Jens will buy them at megaprices.p.s.hope Jens stocks up on belts and cassette motors,both of which have not been made in 10 years:))))
Paying mega $$$ from mega sellers on ebay is stupid.With patience you will be rewarded with quality tapes at a fair price.Why pay $10+ for a $2
tape from an ebay mega crook? :breakdance:
:huh: :huh:

:hmmm:

:weed:

:drunk:

jaetee

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Florida's West Coast
Okay zyklon69... As a tape fanatic and Nakamichi fan I've dissected your post and can't leave it alone... While I get what you are ultimately trying to say (don't pay ridiculous prices for tapes)... I can't help but point out some glaring issues with your argument and think there's got to be some other motive behind your post...

No matter what some one will sell vintage cassettes cheap just because of human nature.
Okay, some people will sell vintage cassettes cheap. Especially used ones. And there are plenty. As for new old stock tapes of good quality, I guess there will always be those people who don't know (or care) what they have, and they might sell locally or even donate to thrift stores rather than extract the most value from selling them on ePay. You call it human nature, I'll call it ignorance, laziness or simply lost opportunity.

Remember cassettes are real time analog and require lots of time to record,much more time than 99.9% of the population will put into them..
Yes, we all know that cassette recordings are typically made in real time (except hi-speed dubbing decks ;-) ) and 99% of the population (in modern countries) probably doesn't even have access to a properly working cassette deck, much less a well tuned high end unit. But, It should also be noted that to some people that real time investment in time and effort is part of the appeal of making tapes. Call it "zen" if you will. Think about it... where's the passion in burning a playlist of MP3's to a CD-R? In my opinion, that does not compare to the effort and passion that goes into a carefully put together mix-tape. And I like the way tapes sound (on my system).

People buy 10 cassette tapes and record one.
:huh: How can you speak for everyone who buys a 10-pack of tapes? If I buy 10 tapes, I will record on nine or all 10 of them. That 10th tape might be kept in wrapper for collectible purposes if I don't already have it, but only maybe. I think people seeking out tapes are doing so for one of two reasons. To use or to collect.

Monitor ebay and your favourite tapes can be found at $1 a piece regardless of formulation.
$1 each, regardless of formulation???? Sorry, but this is absolutely not true. This is the extreme exception, not the rule. I've been regularly watching tape prices on American and German ebay for the past three years. As with anything on ebay, you might get lucky in some lot auctions, mislabeled or wrong-category auctions, but those are becoming more and more rare. I challenge you to find me $1 1982 Maxell XL-IIS, or a 1983 TDK MA-R, or even just a standard TDK SA from 1984 for $1??? Even used Sony Metal Masters and used TDK MA-R's and metal framed MA-XG's go for as much as $25 each.

Avoid the warped Hitachi /Maxell formulations that were concocted to sell Nak decks.A cassette tape meeting Philips standards needs no correction or an over rated Failamichi cassette deck.Sony and Goldstar are in the top 5 of the best formulations ever,TDK tapes also worth seeking.Maxell is the Bose of cassette tapes and is best discarded in the nearest trash can,all hype.
What is this Philips standard to which you are referring? Are you talking about the IEC standards for Type I, II, III and IV tapes? Maxell/Hitachi tapes were not concocted to sell Nakamichi decks. In fact, Nakamichi had corporate agreements with TDK (Maxell's largest competitor) to use TDK tape stock in their Nakamichi-branded ZX, SX and EX cassettes. And as far as I know in 30+ years of Nakamichi and Maxell ownership and use, they are completely unrelated companies. The reason Maxell and Nakamichi are sometimes mentioned together is because in their own rights, each made products that were considered among the top in their industry. Okay, I'll admit that not all Maxells were great, but they did make some of the very best cassettes in the world. (go to http://www.tapeheads.net) just as Nakamichi made some of the best tape decks in the world. Yes, there were many other good tapes, and there were also many other good tape decks. I have six fully working Naks here, some dating back to the 70's and they sound fantastic. I can tell you from personal experience and comparison to many other decks (Denon, Pioneer, Teac, Revox, Onkyo, Yamaha & JVC) that there is a reason why they have such a strong reputation for quality and sound. And, Yes, Sony did have some really outstanding tapes, but they had their share of crap formulations, too. And I'd like to hear more about the Goldstar (LG) formulations you hold in such high regard. Personally, I don't have any experience with Goldstar tapes so I can't comment on them. From your comments, it sounds like you must have had a very negative experience with Nakamichi and Maxell at some point. To that, all I can say is that you should come over for a beer some time and hear what some of my Naks can do with my Maxells.

Sell all ur unwanted tapes on ebay,Jens will buy them at megaprices.p.s.hope Jens stocks up on belts and cassette motors,both of which have not been made in 10 years:))))
tape from an ebay mega crook?

Why do you mention Jens and bring his name into this discussion? What's the purpose of that when you must know he is a well respected member of this community? Or...., is this revealing why you really started this thread in the first place??? Did he maybe sell you one of his vintage Nak ZXL's and now it's got a broken motor or belt perhaps?? Maybe it even broke while it was trying to play or record a Maxell??? That would explain your position a bit. I'm just trying to understand where you are coming from....

I do agree with you that paying megaprices on ebay is stupid. $50 for TDK MA-R, $80+ Maxell Vertex, $50+ for Sony Metal Master, etc.... is ridiculous. Don't do it!

It sounds to me like you are probably from Europe, and having checked tape prices out on German ebay, I do think it is easier to find good deals on NOS tapes on that side of the Atlantic than in the USA. But, let's evaluate your comment about paying $10 for a $2 tape... Even when they were new back in the 80's and 90's and in constant production with no end in sight... most really good tapes worth having sold for more than $2. Let's take the case of the very well regarded 1986 Maxell MX (because I happen to have one here with a German Karstadt department store sticker on it). That tape cost DM 10.90 back in the day. Google confirms the average Deutsch Mark to Dollar exchange rate back in 1986 was DM 2.17 = $1. Both numbers sound right to me as I was living there at the time, and that equates to $5.02 per Maxell MX-90. Taking that a bit further, according to inflation calculator websites $5.02 in 1986 dollars equals $9.92 in 2010. So, paying $10 for a Maxell MX now is basically paying the same price as what they "really" cost back then. And you can sometimes find those MX tapes for $10 on ebay (but never for $1). And while I also think $10 is a bit much for a tape, after inflation adjusting that is basically the same value they held in '86. Take that one step further and consider that they are no longer being made and that every time you unwrap a vintage tape that's one less available in the global inventory of tapes, one could even argue that it's a worthwhile investment to stock up on rare quality audio tapes. The supply grows smaller every day...

It's when you start comparing the price of tapes to to the price of blank CD-R's when things get really lopsided. But, to an analog purist, or tapehead... that's not the issue.

ford93

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Former New Yorker
I know this thread is based on another topic but I will only say that recording on a cassette is more appealing than any other format. :yes:

I still have three Sony Metal Master still in its wrapper and the cardboard box that goes along with it. These will never be opened not to hold them for value but to keep them as a time capsule from an era that I truly love.

One thing though there are people that will bid crazy prices on a cassette, the most I would paid for a cassette would be $20.

restocat

Member (SA)
Apr 25, 2010
New Mexico, USA
Since this thread is already going in every direction, I thought I would just bring in another random topic:

Archive quality.

Cassette tapes have an archive shelf life of about 20-30 years from what I have read. So, as much fun as it is now, it may not be worth holding on to sealed 80s tapes for another 20 years.

MasterBlaster84

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Northern California
restocat said:
Since this thread is already going in every direction, I thought I would just bring in another random topic:

Archive quality.

Cassette tapes have an archive shelf life of about 20-30 years from what I have read. So, as much fun as it is now, it may not be worth holding on to sealed 80s tapes for another 20 years.

I've been contemplating selling some tapes for this very reason. :hmmm:

TW5

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
restocat said:

Archive quality.

I dont get it ??
All old old tapes I find still work,
and are still usable.
Only if they been used alot or banged up etc
than there no good.

MasterBlaster84

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Northern California
TW5 said:
restocat said:

Archive quality.

I dont get it ??
All old old tapes I find still work,
and are still usable.
Only if they been used alot or banged up etc
than there no good.
You can find lots of information about this on Google (tape degradation) and here is one simple explanation of what happens to tapes.
http://www.ehow.com/about_6329972_product-life-cycle-cassette-tapes.html

Old tapes that are still sealed and have been stored indoors in a dry climate may last a long time but all tapes will degrade.

2steppa

Member (SA)
May 11, 2009
Sunny Eastern England
zyklon69 said:
metal tapes?why would anyone want to record at 1.5% distortion,guess you must be a
Metal tapes?
For extended high frequency response, lower noise, higher signal headroom -- that kind of thing.......

1.5% distortion? Really? On all tapes and all decks? And at what frequency is this distortion most pronounced? :hmmm:

jaetee

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Florida's West Coast
zyklon69 said:
jaetee said:
metal tapes?why would anyone want to record at 1.5% distortion,guess you must be a
[ Image ]
For someone who doesn't like tape, you sure are passionate about them... LOL!

Looks like I must have struck a nerve... And where did you go, Z69?

Just when I was going to share this crazy auction with you for discussion: [ebay]320621354157[/ebay]

restocat

Member (SA)
Apr 25, 2010
New Mexico, USA
Nice Auction :'-( :lol:

Jaetee, do you have a thread about your Nak decks? I see the RX202, 303, and 505, as well as the dragon, and I'm not sure which one would be best to save up for. :hmmm: Any advise on the best Nak deck for the money? Or are they overpriced and maybe I should instead get a Denon or Onkyo.

Status
Not open for further replies.