Magnavox D8443 Low Sound Volume

Bugga18

Member (SA)
Oct 31, 2010
Hello every one this is my first post on here and I don't plan to make it my last. Long story short I found a Magnavox D8443 while moving out of the house I was living in. Its missing a power cable batt cover and was kinda dirty.. So I cleaned it up a little got batt's and plug a Ipod into it. I works ok but the sounds just seems low for its size and amount of speakers.. I would really like help in getting some direction on how to make this box preform better beause just in one week its been a huge hit with all my friends and i would like to take it to party's and have other people enjoy it as much as I do. Also if any one knows were I could find parts like the batt cover and a power cable let me know.. Any tips on cleaning this beast would be great to .. I will post pics tomorrow.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Welcome aboard, Bugga! Regarding the low volume, does it only apply to when you are listening to the iPod? If the radio is low too, it could be something as simple as a dirty selector switch or volume knob. Find yourself some DeOxit contact cleaner - Radio Shack sells something similar. You'll most likely have to open the Magnavox to get to the switches though. Don't be afraid. It's only plastic and metal. Just remember to take your time if you've never done anything like it before.

Bugga18

Member (SA)
Oct 31, 2010
Thanks for the warm welcome Fatdog. Im so worried about opening this thing up. I dont want to kill it.. I have not tryed to see what the volume is with just the radio because as soon as I got the batts in I had the Ipod hooked in lol Its 10 oclock at night now and my wife would hate me if i said Im just testing the volume of my 80s boom box.. its bad enough i talk her into letting me buy a 88 Mr2 everyday.. I am going to a race this weekend and will be takeing the box with me because we are camping at the track so i will test it then. Also gonna take some extra batts.. I will take it apart some time next week and post pics of the work incase any one cares..

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
These boxes are a little complex because even though it has solderless wiring there are alot of wires with push/pull terminals and you should take lots of pictures and even right the colors down to help... Once you get the top amp board out the board with the pots/controls are there. :-D Good luck :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Bugga18

Member (SA)
Oct 31, 2010
I assume there is not wright up on theses to make it a little easier? :-P I just dont want to mess up something like this. Its really cool and bringing me a ton of enjoyment already.. So I would hate to kill it.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
I dont believe anyone has because the maggies are pretty much not at a collectors, top of the list. They are nice, but are a dime a dozen. There are a half dozen or so selling weekly on ebay and you can get them fully working for around a buck ;-)

brian84corvette

Member (SA)
Jun 14, 2010
hello all.

I have recently picked up the same box from my local flea.

I have found that using the casette tape / I pod player crap ( think casette tape with headphone chord coming out the side ) seems to work the best on my box vs using a rca left and right to hook my I pod up to play.

I also saw that play and pause were suposed to be pressed to use the line in feature left / right rca plugs
but my radio does not have loud voulme when using that.

using the tape with chord to plug the i pod in to it seems to work the loudest.

anyhow - I have thought about restoring my box - but again they can be had for a hundred or so on ebay
what is wrong with my box ?
the voume knob is verry chopy - and only operates left or right at certan exact locations - and around the 9 oclock position goes in to full blast loudness for a degree or so - im hoping a good cleaning / de oxit will help with that
but
the tape wheels do not spin - and playing a tape will eat it.
fast foward and rewind cause a horrible clicking / grinding type noise - and you can feel the button pulsing when you press ff or rew. im guessing the orange gear inside is tore up. or at least thats what a dude on s2g told me. along with that gear going bad - does this box have belts that can go bad also ?

would finding theese parts / belts / and gear be more trouble than its worth for fixing up the box ? ive only got $60 in to it sofar - and its cosmeticly pretty nice and all there with no cracks or damage.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
If you are not wanting to get your fingers dirty, I would suggest buying one in 100% great shape. these boxes are a dime a dozen and you could resell yours as well.. Otherwise you may just need a good cleaning on the inside including deoxiting the pots and switches. that will take care of static problems in them.. As for the deck it may or may not be a belt but you have to get it apart to find out :-D Good luck :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Drou

Member (SA)
Jul 30, 2011
France
Hello there !

I'm posting here because i have quite the same issue and there's already many post about this boombox haha.

I uploaded a video on youtube so you can get a larger picture of the problem.

------> https://youtu.be/WJ2bgfhdcxY

Cassette deck is working fine, it will need a good gear clean maybe as it's a bit slow and noisy.
The problem is that i got barely no sound, i used contact cleaner on every potentiometer, it didn't change at all.
The stranger thing is that the tape motor spins even if tape is off. it's turning off sometimes by just touching the tape buttons, you can see that in the video.
I'm kind of lost here, i was thinking about tape player that isn't connected with a ground connection or something like that ?

Thanks for your help !
Cheers from france
Pierre