Sharp GF-6060 Cassette Player sounds dull/ flat

Status
Not open for further replies.

tec9

Member (SA)
Sep 15, 2010
Hey all-
I bought this box last week, and the radio sounds good, but the tape player sounds very dull. The sound quality is very flat. I tried swabbing the head of the cassette player, but it didn't seem to help, and other suggestions?
-Mark

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Try demagnetizing the head. Also check the head alignment. You should see one or two small screws beneath the head for adjusting.

tec9

Member (SA)
Sep 15, 2010
I guess I'll try demagnatizing the head, before I do anything else. Do the demagnatizers that look like a cassette actually work?? Or should I get a handheld type?
-Mark

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
I have a TDK HD-30 cassette-type demagnetizer and it works beautifully. The battery lasts forever in that thing too. Check your PM for a link.

45player

Member (SA)
Mar 17, 2011
Something to look at here- There is a transistor in the power supply board that is used only when the unit is in the tape position. The B+ voltage does not get to the required level when this transistor is bad, so the sound quality will be suffering. It is a TO-220 cased transistor, used as a series pass regulator, but I do not have a manual for this- I only remember it from my days at a Sharp service depot for 14 years.

beverlyjean2

Member (SA)
Apr 3, 2011
]Playback head out of adjustment. Look at playback head positioned in center of tape path. On each side of this head is a flange w/ a tiny phllips head screw. Under one of these flanges will be seen, a very small spring. This is the screw you want to adjust. Using a high quality pre-recorded tape, press play and while turnintg this screw a 1/4 turn or so in both directions you will hear the sound get duller or brighter ie: more highs. Do not turn more than needed to restore high freq. response.

Status
Not open for further replies.