9494 Capstan Black Goo!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alfie

Member (SA)
Mar 11, 2010
Sydney, Australia
After cleaning up the new gf9494 I found the dreaded, mangled black goo.

Where do i replace it?????

I'm pretty new to the mechanics of the tape deck. Any help would be awesome :-D :-D :-D

beatbox

Member (SA)
May 28, 2009
I've used these before a few times. Saves having to cut any tubing. Works great too and a perfect fit!

Get them at most toy shops.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
My daughter has thousands of those things around here. I'll keep that in mind for the next goo attack. :yes:

alfie

Member (SA)
Mar 11, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Hey guys, thanks for the help.

I've replaced the goo bit with the rc silicon tubing however the problem now is that nothing turns :huh: :sad:

The motor kicks in but it wont turn the tape or ff or rew?

Any theories on what I might have done wrong? All the belts are in the right place but nothing is happening.

I'm desperate to get this bad boy in fully operational condition because after a clean she's looking beautiful :-D

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
If you know for certain that the belts are the correct size and in the correct location, I'd suggest checking for dirty or missing idler tires.

alfie

Member (SA)
Mar 11, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Ok. After having a serious tinker with the mechanism I think i've found the problem.
I can get it to spin round but I have to pinch the large belt at the back (kind of manually tighten it).

I'm guessing this means I need to replace the belt as it has worn and become slack over time?

alfie

Member (SA)
Mar 11, 2010
Sydney, Australia
I understand where you're coming from entirely. Luckily I've got a belt on a sharp parts box which is the same size :-)
I'll try it out with this belt to see if that solves my problem then I'll order a heap of spare belts for my sharps :-D

alfie

Member (SA)
Mar 11, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Swapping the belt did the trick (thanks Norm).

The sound is still slightly off but cleaning the rubber around the wheel that touches the capstan silicon is solving the problem :-D :-D

Should have it cleaned up and back together by Tuesday night.

Very, very Happy :-D :-D :-D

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
alfie said:
Fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Swapping the belt did the trick (thanks Norm).

The sound is still slightly off but cleaning the rubber around the wheel that touches the capstan silicon is solving the problem :-D :-D

Should have it cleaned up and back together by Tuesday night.

Very, very Happy :-D :-D :-D
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

alfie

Member (SA)
Mar 11, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Thought we were there. Not quite :no:

The sound still sounded pretty average after all of the above and after a few minutes another tape got chewed. Staring down in sheer frustration I noticed a small snapped belt lying in the bottom of the box :sad:

Luckily I have a belt the same size to replace it. However, I have no idea where it should go.
The large main belt on the back round the capstan is fine, the belt for the tape counter is fine so where does this one go?
I'm positive this is the root of my problem. Any help would be good at this point please guys :-)

beatbox

Member (SA)
May 28, 2009
You only see 2 belts? Well, there must be a third which is missing. Here's a pic from the inside of my 9191, same mech as 9292 and could be same as 9494.

Anyway, you can clearly see the 2 belts at the front. Maybe this'll help you locate the missing belts position. :-)

However! I think this 3rd belt operates the auto stop function.

Your problem could also be this little fella. These wheels can sometimes wear down on one side than the other, making your cassette tape run through lopsided. This can cause all manner of mischief, sounds bad, and wrecks cassettes. :-/

Hope this all helps and good luck!

alfie

Member (SA)
Mar 11, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Awesome. Exactly where i thought the belt should go but wasn't sure. :-)
I've got a spare one of those wheels. I'll swap it and see if that stops it chewing tapes.
Thanks for the pics man :-D :-D

alfie

Member (SA)
Mar 11, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Yeah saxonman, we're rocking again. Sounding great :-D (until next time :-/ )
Thanks for the pics. All this info is priceless. Putting it back together today so will try to get acouple of pics up myself

alfie

Member (SA)
Mar 11, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Last question guys (I hope)

I've fixed all the tape issues. Playing beautifully, looking great. Last thing I need to do is put the spring back for the tape door mechanism. When i opened it up the spring wasn't attached and I'm damned if I can work out where to put now.

Any ideas? :yes: :yes:

Status
Not open for further replies.