GF-9696 Power Up - No Sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gluecifer

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Belmont, Australia
Interesting problem I'm having issues sorting out.

Originally it would only fire up with play engaged, cleaning the power switch fixed this.

However I get no sound. When I was playing around last night I got sound back when I hit the back of the unit!
Everything was perfect, then it lost sound again.
Then the love-tap stop working... and now it's dropped out for good, not heard a peep out of her since last night.

The unit is very dirty, but I'm not sure what I should be looking at cleaning.
Given all the top switches a good clean, but still no love.

My original thought was the jolt was bridging a dry solder join, but there's no way I've the skill to isolate that.

Not sure what I should be looking for here. Any ideas?

Thanks rockers.

Rock On.

Gluecifer

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Belmont, Australia
I'm in it!
Up to my elbows!

I figure this is a popular radio that many here have worked on, there's little point toiling in obscurity when a brother can show me the right path.

Rock On.

jaetee

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Florida's West Coast
mmcodomino said:
I had the same problem with my one and pressing record and stop a few times in a row fixed the whole issue. I am pretty sure that is it :yes:
Believe it or not... .this advise from Max (which originally came to me from Fatdog) has actually "fixed" at least two of my boxes.... A Panny and a Sharp...

Otherwise, if that doesn't work, it sounds like some kind of loose contact around the power supply maybe????

Good luck, Rick... a properly working GF-9696 is a beautiful thing!!!!

Superduper

Member (SA)
Hey Rick. The easy thing is just to ensure all contacts are clean. Normally, if controls are dirty, you'll get one channel missing. Seldom a complete lack of sound, which suggests to me that maybe the amp is not getting power at all. In any event, anything beyond cleaning becomes a crapshoot so start with the cleaning and hope for the best.

Gluecifer

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Belmont, Australia
Thanks for the tips.

Took her apart, cleaned everything, still no love.

Talked to my repairer and he thinks it'll be a dry join he'll be able trace.

So off she goes tomorrow to him! Hopefully be able to pick a couple back up off him too.

Rock On.

Status
Not open for further replies.