Need someone to fix my Dynasty HT-959 BBX soon.Video inside!

Status
Not open for further replies.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
I really want my AKA of the Wheely 5000 to be fixed. Is there anyone in the USA close to Wisconsin that can help me? I have a couple hundred dollars to spend to get some/most parts fixed.

I want these things to work:
-aux imput
-radio
-EQ
-power with batteries
-power with cord
-all lights working

I don't care if the tape players don't work because they wouldn't get used much anyway, but if the price is right I will have them fixed too. Camping season and hanging out at the beach is coming up and I want this BBX to shine ASAP. Help me if you can please..... Thanks - JOE

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
I wonder if that whole list could be remedied if it actually powered up? Too bad you're not closer to Tennessee. I'd love to try and help out. ;-)

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
I would send it there no problem, just can't bust my budget on it that's all. It will mostly take time and I can even exchange time. I am a powder coater, CAD TECH, CNC plasma table operator, etc.... I have access to a lot of cool things that I could exchange with the cashola if my box is fixed......

Johnny

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
MIDWEST
Why didn't you buy that power amp circuit on Ebay.?

I would simply supply 15 volt of power to the two wires coming from the transformer to main radio board and see if it powers up.

Its prob, a bad tranformer/supply cicuit. Makes sure the switch on back is not flipped to charge also if trying batteries.

I would try this stuff before I shipped that monster anywhere. :yes:

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
I didn't know I was supposed to be looking for a power amp circuit on ebay..... :huh: So that must be gone now, huh?

I guess I could dabble some more with it, but with my limited electronic skills it might be a bad idea......

Johnny

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
MIDWEST
blu_fuz said:
I didn't know I was supposed to be looking for a power amp circuit on ebay..... :huh: So that must be gone now, huh?

I guess I could dabble some more with it, but with my limited electronic skills it might be a bad idea......

Yes I have it (the power supply/circuit), i have two of these monsters and worry about problems in the future with 'em.

If you do all that fancy metal work you are skilled enough to open up a blaster and you're already associated with the best in the hobby!!! The Brotherhood of Boomboxery!!!

Let us help guide you through trouble shooting the problem!
:-)

skippy1969

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Baraboo Wisconsin
Dude that stuff is SICK!!! you got mad skillz! I'm glad to know you powder coat stuff.
Let me know how much you would charge me to powdercoat 2 rims on my motorcycle. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Alright, I would definetly need someone to hold my hand on this one ;-). HAHA.....

I am in the middle of a teardown of a car, so it would be a few weeks until I will open up the BBX again.

I won't be doing any big parts for powder coating anymore, I am just not setup to be handling such big items. I sold my big oven last weekend so unless the rims are 18" or less, I won't be able to do them.....

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Plug it in, it turns on and not off(lights come on). Tape decks do nothing when the buttons are pushed(no motors turn even). if I switch the functions to "tape, aux, am, fm" still nothing. If i leave it plugged in the alarm starts to screetch oh so loud. The transformer "hums" and makes a click noise when I wiggle the wire when plugged in. I replaced a transistor and a capacitor that were shot and still have the same results. I have the original parts yet also that were removed.

I use to have a faint sound out of the right speaker with the radio and the volume knob did nothing. I don't think it does anything with the batteries in either.

I do remember something happening when either the power button or the sensor button was pushed in part way. I can't remember.

Johnny

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
MIDWEST
Sounds almost like a short around the sensor button area or the switch itself. Like it is staying in "ARM" mode and not switching back to "OFF".

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Thanks man ;-)

I will check out that sensor situation first. That seems like the best bet just because it seems that nothing works at all though it has turned on and has power...... A couple weeks and I will dive in head first.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Alright, I got a chance to try the BBX again. I made a video and hopefully I can get some ideas from it out of you guys ;-).

Superduper

Member (SA)
blu_fuz said:
Plug it in, it turns on and not off(lights come on). Tape decks do nothing when the buttons are pushed(no motors turn even). if I switch the functions to "tape, aux, am, fm" still nothing. If i leave it plugged in the alarm starts to screetch oh so loud. The transformer "hums" and makes a click noise when I wiggle the wire when plugged in. I replaced a transistor and a capacitor that were shot and still have the same results. I have the original parts yet also that were removed.

I use to have a faint sound out of the right speaker with the radio and the volume knob did nothing. I don't think it does anything with the batteries in either.

I do remember something happening when either the power button or the sensor button was pushed in part way. I can't remember.
Sounds like you might be in over your head on this. The unit powers up so it's doubtful it's a transformer or power supply issue. The sensor thing sounds interesting however, I also doubt that is the issue since you are able to get the radio to work somewhat. At least, I thought I heard something that sounded like a radio.

The first thing I'd like to ask is: how did you come to replacing a transistor and capacitor and how did you determine they were shot? Direct coupled transistors that short have a tendency to also take out everything in their signal path. A blown capacitor probably wouldn't harm the circuit when it fails open but if it shorted and this capacitor couples the transistor to ground, then there is a problem. I think further investigating needs to be done in the area of circuitry directly preceeding and behind the failed components. If those failed catastrophically, then it's likely that other components have been wiped out too.

Also, I am not familiar with this box but are the tape functions completely mechanical or is it a mechanical/soft-touch type of mechanism. Soft touch mechanisms are notorious for keeping a deck on when the belt fails. That is because the tape deck does not rely on the power switch for power. Rather, the application of the deck turns the machine on. When it's done, mechanical motion of the flywheel actuates a microswitch that turns the machine on/off. If the belt failed when the machine was one, it will stay on until mechanical motion is provided to turn and reset the switch back to normal. Of course that might explain the power situation but not some other issues.

I've been through boxes before looking for a single common cause for multiple issues. More often than not, I have found that the box actually has many multiple but unrelated issues. This may be the case in your situation.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Yes, that is the radio you are hearing from the BBX. Only faintly comes out of the right channel.

The BBX had the same symptoms before I replaced the transistor and capacitor.
The reason I had to replace the parts was because I opened the stereo because it was working like it is in the video. When I went to put it back together I crossed the +/- wires on the circuit board. It blew the two parts when I plugged it in but it had no effect on how the box functioned. Even after I replaced the parts the BBX performed exactly the same as when I originally got it.

I couldn't say if the tapes are mechanical or soft touch.

I also feel I am over my head on this but any help is appreciated. Thank you :thumbsup:

Superduper

Member (SA)
blu_fuz said:
................When I went to put it back together I crossed the +/- wires on the circuit board. It blew the two parts when I plugged it in but it had no effect on how the box functioned.............................. :thumbsup:
Oh goodness. I'd be very concerned now that the box may have other problems introduced by the application of incorrect polarity hookup. Some items like the electrolytic capacitors will actually explode if hooked up backwards. Other semiconductors can fail when hooked up incorrectly but it's not likely that they would explode so external evidence may not be immediately apparent. The failed parts you saw, you knew were bad because of externally visible evidence. Other parts may have failed and not shown physical symptoms.

The fact that it now performs like before is a good sign but not a guarantee that the reversed polarity hasn't damaged other parts. The reason is that the circuits that weren't working properly before due to problem A might now be not working due to problem A + B. Results the same but repair entirely different and complicating the diagnosis. Hope that is not the case with yours.

If I were to trouble shoot your radio, I would look in this manner:

Source of the power on/off problem. This could be related to the tape deck. If the belts proves to be broken/stretched or motor blown, that would have to be remedied first. You can certainly turn the capstan flywheel by hand to see it you feel any switches or levers actuating as you turn them. Normally, turning the flywheel several revolutions will reset the switches back to normal. If you do this and the function of power on/off is restored, then that is a great first step.

Next, you'd want to re-evaluate the performance again with the cassette mechanisms reset. Then note the problems you are having. If the problem is the same, then let's try to find out if the problem is in the pre-amp section or power amp section.

Try the line outs and hook them up to another radio. If you can hear the radio fine, and in stereo, it's a pretty good indication that the problem is in the power amp section and that the preamp section is not operating properly. OR, the preamp could be fine but the tuner board not outputting properly.

questions I would want to know:
(1) Does the tuner behave normally. I mean does the tuner signal strength indicator move like it normally would.
(2) Does the line in function work?
(2a) If yes, does it work in stereo?
(2b) If not in stereo, will both side work if it's set to either the wide or mono mode? (if you have it).
(3) Does it output a signal normally via the line outs?
(3a) If yes, does it output in stereo or is one or both sides attentuated?
None of these tests will FIX the radio but it does give a clearer picture of what might be happening.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
I think I love you :yes: ....j/k

I will check and answer all your questions tonight. Thank you.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
(1) Does the tuner behave normally. I mean does the tuner signal strength indicator move like it normally would.
ANSWER = Yes, tuner signal strength indicator moves and lights up like normal and indicates when signal is strong or weak.

(2) Does the line in function work?
ANSWER = Yes, hooked portable DVD player up to the BBX and signal comes out the right speaker as the radio does, still scratchy and quiet

(2a) If yes, does it work in stereo?
(2b) If not in stereo, will both side work if it's set to either the wide or mono mode? (if you have it).
ANSWER = Yes, it sounds and works the same in stereo or mono

(3) Does it output a signal normally via the line outs?
(3a) If yes, does it output in stereo or is one or both sides attentuated?
ANSWER = the output signal does not work on the left side via the line out. The output signal does work on the right side but sounds like when I have the radio on, scratchy and volume is poor.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Did some really detailed searching around in the box and I might have found what looks to be a blown amp and resistor! I can't believe I missed these things before.

The big resistor is directly behind the power button and could explain why my BBX is always on and doesn't turn off. I am pointing at it with a screwdriver. Someone has to know what the color code of this should be.

The amp piece looks to be charred/burned and is cracked. It is the one on the left in this picture:

Here is some pics of the original parts I burned up and replaced. These were really hard to find and I kept the originals just in case if I needed numbers off of them:

and they went here:

and here:

on this:

The belts on the tape reels are stretched and looks to be twisted on itself. Here are some random shots of the back of the tape area upside down:

Status
Not open for further replies.