I'm reading. :-D

Cheers OSS :afro:

#35 monchito

monchito
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,599 posts
  • Locationpythonville florida

Posted 27 September 2010 - 06:03 PM

i finally ordered mine today though amazon so hoping to get it during the next couple of days... :w00t: :w00t: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

#36 redbenjoe

redbenjoe

I Am Legend

• Eternal Order of Boom
  • 17,944 posts
  • Locationflorida

Posted 27 September 2010 - 06:49 PM

hey ramoncheeetoz --
for some short money --i will autograph yours :-O :thumbsup:

#37 hemiguy2006

hemiguy2006
  • Members
  • 2,288 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 06:55 PM

Yay mine Shipped today!!! :thumbsup:
And Uncle Ed was kind enough to let me preview his book
although some of the pages were stained and stuck together :huh:

#38 monchito

monchito
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,599 posts
  • Locationpythonville florida

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:03 PM

hey ramoncheeetoz --
for some short money --i will autograph yours :-O :thumbsup:

sorry benji i dont want your sticky fingers on my book :annoyed: :smooch: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#39 oldskool69

oldskool69
  • Moderators
  • 6,711 posts
  • Location'Bama!!! Deep In Da' Heart O' Dixie

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:24 PM

...And Uncle Ed was kind enough to let me preview his book
although some of the pages were stained and stuck together... :huh:

Uh oh...too much alone time with the book in his special place... :w00t: :-P :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#40 Master Z

Master Z
  • Members
  • 1,225 posts
  • LocationToledo, OH!

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:53 PM

I just put mine on order and I can't wait to get it. It's about time a book like this came out.
Thanks Wonderlust, you the man! :cool:

#41 MasterBlaster84

MasterBlaster84
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,080 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:57 AM

Just got the shipping confirmation, this is topping off a good week. :thumbsup:

#42 Fatdog

Fatdog
  • Administrators
  • 9,808 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee, U.S.A.

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:11 AM

I also just got an e-mail:

Your Amazon.com order has shipped (#102-2799083-*******)

This will definitely make good reading material for my trip next week. :-D

#43 hemiguy2006

hemiguy2006
  • Members
  • 2,288 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:40 PM

Jus gots mine !!!!!!! :thumbsup:

#44 Fatdog

Fatdog
  • Administrators
  • 9,808 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 04:27 PM

The postman came by and dropped off a package for me - it was a copy of the Boombox Project with an inscription by Lyle and autographed!!! Totally unexpected as I told him he didn't have to do that.

Not too long after, the UPS guy stopped by and delivered my purchase from Amazon! WIN! WIN! WIN! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

#45 Uncle Ed

Uncle Ed
  • Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 04:30 PM

Hmmm, I told LO to forward it to your address cause I could'nt remember mine when he asked.
Oh Well.

#46 redbenjoe

redbenjoe

I Am Legend

• Eternal Order of Boom
  • 17,944 posts
  • Locationflorida

Posted 29 September 2010 - 04:58 PM

he fatdog --did you get the one with the ed spread ?

#47 Fatdog

Fatdog
  • Administrators
  • 9,808 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:15 PM

I must have gotten one of the rare "working" prints because my Ed Spread came with 3D glasses. :-D :sin:

My only beef with the book is that Spike Lee write the forward. He obviously doesn't love boomboxes. He admits he never even owned a boombox, doesn't miss them at all ("Hell no!" was what he wrote), and he thanks God for the Sony Walkman and iPod. :-O :huh:

Other than that, it is a fantastic read and the pictures are nostalgic and wonderful. Even the wife was looking through it picking out all the boomboxes she has seen come in and out of the house. :-) And two Boomboxery members have write-ups in the book too! Congratulations to Rick and JamesWP. :thumbsup:

#48 mellymelsr

mellymelsr
  • Members
  • 2,113 posts
  • LocationNorthern Cali

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:33 PM

I must have gotten one of the rare "working" prints because my Ed Spread came with 3D glasses. :-D :sin:

My only beef with the book is that Spike Lee write the forward. He obviously doesn't love boomboxes. He admits he never even owned a boombox, doesn't miss them at all ("Hell no!" was what he wrote), and he thanks God for the Sony Walkman and iPod. :-O :huh:

Other than that, it is a fantastic read and the pictures are nostalgic and wonderful. Even the wife was looking through it picking out all the boomboxes she has seen come in and out of the house. :-) And two Boomboxery members have write-ups in the book too! Congratulations to Rick and JamesWP. :thumbsup:

How could Spike begin to understand the love we have for boomboxes if he never owned one?!...mine will be here tomorrow and I can't wait to get it.

#49 Superduper

Superduper
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 6,167 posts
  • LocationSomewhere over the rainbow, USA

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:41 PM

Melly -- could you bring it over next time you come? I'd like to check it out before I buy. Too pricey to splurge right now in my weakened financial condition unless I'm absolutely sure I will want (or need) this. :no:

#50 Kenpat

Kenpat
  • Members
  • 2,260 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest, USA

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:46 PM

I also thought Spike Lee's forward was sad, too. I didn't want to say anything to ruin it for everyone else, but now that the cat's out of the bag, all bet's are off.

I thought his forward sucked was kind of lame. :thumbsdown:

Moving right along, I guess Lyle has written the first true reference work on the Boombox. :breakdance:

#51 redbenjoe

redbenjoe

I Am Legend

• Eternal Order of Boom
  • 17,944 posts
  • Locationflorida

Posted 30 September 2010 - 04:34 PM

i agree with you guys --
the spike lee was a DOWNER :thumbsdown: way to start this otherwise very exciting book -- :huh:

till we hear further from lyle --about the secret 'method to his madness' :-)

i will just guess that its part of an international reverse psychology scheme ?? :-O :lol:

#52 JLF

JLF
  • Members
  • 197 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:50 PM

Yes! Just walked in from a week in L.A. for work and my book is sitting in the kitchen just waiting for me!
Im so stoked on it, that Im already on ebay looking to fill in some gaps in my collecton!
I havent started reading it yet, just a quick look....

#53 mellymelsr

mellymelsr
  • Members
  • 2,113 posts
  • LocationNorthern Cali

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:09 PM

Melly -- could you bring it over next time you come? I'd like to check it out before I buy. Too pricey to splurge right now in my weakened financial condition unless I'm absolutely sure I will want (or need) this. :no:

...It arrived today so I will bring it by Monday or Tuesday and let you check it out...

#54 71spud

71spud
  • Members
  • 896 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:17 AM

It was a mistake to involve Spike Lee in the project. My guess is that he was signed on before anyone knew what he was going to say... and then it was too late. He probably has a chip on his shoulder because of the "Ghetto" in Ghetto-blaster. It is Spike.... and that should be expected.

I am enjoying the book, I have not read it cover to cover yet. However at risk of being run out of town I have to say that I am actually disappointed in the "stylized" pictures that Lyle took. To me they seem over worked and too much was done to them. With all the work he went into choosing the boxes and getting the lighting just right it seems a shame. I know that was what he was going for... to show these boxes with some street cred, scars and all.... but I would have much preferred (for the most part) to see high-quality photos of excellent condition boxes. Not what ends up looking like drawings (but very good ones) with the cred photoshopped in. I enjoyed the "back in the day" pictures included in the book much more. But don't get me wrong... I would rather have this book than not, and any attention to the hobby is great. And at $16 to my door it is one of the best purchases I have made.

#55 Uncle Ed

Uncle Ed
  • Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:44 AM

I was just making that same commentary, albeit not as well said as yours Spud, to Hemiguy on skype a few nights ago.

A little bit overdone. I know he was aiming for his 'Look' but honestly some of the spy shots we have from March are actually more attractive.

IMHO

#56 Fatdog

Fatdog
  • Administrators
  • 9,808 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:58 AM

Working with images quite a bit, I think the "style" that Lyle wanted was what is known as "High Dynamic Range" (HDR) imaging. The level of detail can be incredible and often makes an image appear to be a drawing or some sort of computer-generated image. After seeing his setup and his method, it all makes sense now. Here's a good Wikipedia entry on HDR - it even has a wonderful example.

http://en.wikipedia....c_range_imaging

Plus, being an artist, he has to put his "fingerprint" on his work. Anybody, including Ira, could take plain, good pictures of boomboxes, but where's the individuality in that? ;-)

#57 MasterBlaster84

MasterBlaster84
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,080 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 01 October 2010 - 09:36 AM

Received my book yesterday, very cool book and for the price it's great. :thumbsup:
Would love to someday have a book with pictures of nothing but boomers but that's another dream.

#58 docs

docs
  • Members
  • 1,451 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:24 AM

I agree with some observations about the pictures of the boomers in the book. I really enjoy the book and reading the parts but a mixture of a style of pictures wouldn't have gone amiss. Every one of them looks like an industrialised machine with oil and marks etc. this looks great in moderation but on every picture it is too much in my opinion. A variation of superbly conditioned boomers would have broken it up nicely.

#59 JLF

JLF
  • Members
  • 197 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 01 October 2010 - 12:27 PM

Got the book yesterday, got my new 9494 today. I read some of it last night, and really enjoyed it. As a huge OASIS fan, it was cool to see the quote from Noel Gallagher included.
Posted Image

#60 redbenjoe

redbenjoe

I Am Legend

• Eternal Order of Boom
  • 17,944 posts
  • Locationflorida

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:07 PM

for a more 'normal' photo style --
our own talented members --have all this covered --really well :-O :drool: :thumbsup:

(one from glue)

Posted Image