Got My Book Today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Member (SA)
Aug 30, 2009
Bremerton, WA, USA
...and it's just as tasty as I thought it would be. Lot's of thanks to Lyle for this wonderful collection. :-D

The Boombox Project is going to be a coffe table book in my house for a long, LONG time.

mellymelsr

Member (SA)
Sep 11, 2009
Northern Cali
I looked into buying some of the boombox shots from the book...prints are selling for a whopping $750 apiece. I hope whoever let him shoot their boomboxes is getting a cut... :-D

jaetee

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Florida's West Coast
Mine is at the top of my birthday wish list.... forwarded to family...

That's the first time in YEARS that I've given any hint of what I want for my birthday!!!! I expect to have mine sometime around 6pm on November 8th. :-D

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
I looked into buying some of the boombox shots from the book...prints are selling for a whopping $750 apiece. I hope whoever let him shoot their boomboxes is getting a cut... :-D

ooops --i forget to ask lyle for a $$ cut :dunce: :-O :hmmm: :-)
plenty of my boxes are in there --and a few are 'center-folds'-

and my famous jamaican M90 is in there :thumbsup:

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
hey spud -
-be warned that this book will have a bevy of phrases, pages and even entire chapters-
that will be beyond your comprehension -- :-O :huh:
but --
on some level --you will prolly get this jist of it

ENJOY !!!
:-)

71spud

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
So what you are trying to brace me for is that not all the boxes will be JVC? :sadno:

jaetee

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Florida's West Coast

Pricing "art" is one of the most subjective topics there is... I'm sure he (or the gallery "experts") put lots of thought into that... Fine art is often based on exclusivity.

As a photographer myself.... I can tell you that the actual snapping of the shutter is probably the easiest part of his process. The real work is in setting up the lighting, and the extensive post-shoot editing process. Consider that the camera used to shoot the pics alone was something like $40,000!!!! And he showed up with two assistants and a truckload of rented lighting gear that took hours to assemble and disassemble.

So, if you consider his upfront investment and the logistics involved in his process it is almost mind-blowing. You might even be shocked to hear that at last year's meet, he did not even snap the shutter himself. Once the lighting was right, his focus was more in line with that of a strategic mastermind..., he was looking around trying to figure out which boxes had the look he wanted.

And when you compare the image he starts with to the final product image, there is a considerable amount of post production as well.

We all knew Lyle was going to be there shooting pics, but I don't think any of us had a clue that it was that massive of an undertaking. I can't speak for the crowd, but I don't think anyone at the meet even asked for a free copy of the book as some form of compensation. We were just happy to see our boxes get some recognition and be part of the project... I think we all realized right away that there was A LOT more to what he was doing than just shuttersnaps.

I looked at his site and saw the fine-art gallery links and found this:

THE BOOMBOX PROJECT

Small size, Edition 1- 10 - $500.00
Medium size, Edition 1-10 - $2,000.00
Large size, Edition 1-10 - $4,000.00
X Large size,Edition 1-10 - TBD

Good for Lyle. I hope he sells lots of those prints!

But.... I'd also add that from what I experienced he's a very approachable guy.... It couldn't hurt to PM him from here and ask if that's really the only way to get a print. :-D

mellymelsr

Member (SA)
Sep 11, 2009
Northern Cali

Pricing "art" is one of the most subjective topics there is... I'm sure he put lots of thought into that...

Did you reach out to him via PM, or was that from his website?

As a photographer myself.... I can tell you that the actual snapping of the shutter is the easiest part of his process. The real work is in setting up the lighting, and the extensive post-shoot editing process. Consider that the camera used to shoot the pics alone was something like $40,000!!!! And he showed up with two assistants and a truckload of rented lighting gear that took hours to assemble and disassemble.

So, if you consider his upfront investment and the logistics involved in his process it is almost mind-blowing. You might even be shocked to hear that at last year's meet, he did not even snap the shutter himself. Once the lighting was right, his focus was more in line with that of a strategic mastermind..., he was looking around trying to figure out which boxes had the look he wanted.

And when you compare the image he starts with to the final product image, there is a considerable amount of post production as well.

We all knew Lyle was going to be there shooting pics, but I don't think any of us had a clue that it was that massive of an undertaking. I can't speak for the crowd, but I don't think anyone at the meet even asked for a free copy of the book as some form of compensation. We were just happy to see our boxes get some recognition and be part of the project... I think we all realized right away that there was A LOT more to what he was doing than just shuttersnaps.

Good for Lyle. I hope he sells lots of those prints!
...trust me, I understand what goes into the process. My daughter has been a model since she was 2, doing magazine shoots and commercials. I definitely understand things from the artists standpoint. Taking pics is the beginning of their work. But knowing what I had to go through to get her started in the business and the hundreds of times she would show up and have her picture taken and not get chosen, I understand things from the subject of the picture as well. I would have happily let him take a pic of my boxes for free...when my car was used in a music video for an up and coming rapper I didn't even think to charge him. I was very happy just to be involved and see the video shooting process from behind the scenes...now that process blew my mind. It too 3 days to shoot a 4 minute video!! So I am well aware of what is involved I was just poking fun at the cost of the prints because it caught me by surprise. I also hope the book becomes a best seller and opens more peoples eyes about how revolutionary boomboxes were.... :-D

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
:agree:
with you melly and jaetee
i was 'trippple-extra' right proud to have some boxes in the book -- :-O :thumbsup:

and the work involved on just one small phase of all this was amazing --

when lyle came down here for ' the big shoot ' :-D

he was 2 hours early --just for the set-up -
brought 2 more helpers with him -
and rented a TRUCK --all filled up with lighting, etc equipment

so -- there was alot $$$$ involved

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
I can't speak for the crowd, but I don't think anyone at the meet even asked for a free copy of the book as some form of compensation.
Lyle wanted to send me a free advance copy and told him he didn't have to do that. I'll buy my copy and do my part to support this project. The amount of work Lyle and his team put in to making our collection look good is unbelievable. I'd like to see a "sequel" someday. :yes: :-D

Hey JT, you might remember this better than me, but didn't Lyle say his camera was a 60 megapixel camera?

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
I also ordered a second one to give away in a contest here in the near future.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
I'm looking forward to ordering a copy as well.....I think this will be a great read.

BTW, are the pictures on the top banner here on Boomboxery from Lyle or did Fatdog take those?

The ever changing pictures at the top of this webpage is one of my favorite parts of this site!

Status
Not open for further replies.