J1 Intersound Motors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghettoman

Member (SA)
Jul 7, 2018
Manchester, England
How Doo..i need 2 Cassette Motors for mi Intersound,anyone know where i can buy them from ?? all my electronics distributors ware houses have all closed down within the last 3 years,now theres none..
the motors are 12v--CCW--1600rpm dual speed,e.g +/- A/B..
i had a bucket load of these,had them in stored for years,but i was having a clear out a few of months ago when i started slimming down my collection,i looked at all the motors and thought "what the hell are these still doing here" threw the lot of them all out in the bin..and guess what ?? sods law..now i need them..does any of you guys ever find that ?? it chapps my arse..

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Was there no adjustment pots for the motors on the board? None on the back of the motors? :huh:

Ghettoman

Member (SA)
Jul 7, 2018
Manchester, England
Hi FD,yes there are adjustments on the back of the board but none on the motors,The motors are running that fast,the variables dont really do alot..i took the radio to my mates shop yesterday,he checked the stereo out while i was there,he found a burned out short transister and replaced it,then checked the voltage comming from the board to the motors,he said it all seems normal,,varying from 11v/12v,which he said was normal..so he said next best thing is to try new motors,he said these motors have a speed regulator built in to them,and they are common for going up the wall,he said he`s had lots of cheapo midi hifi`s in for repair with simular faults,he said he`s replaced many of these motors over the years..he had dozens of these motors but he`s used them all on repairs..he`s just on the verge of closing down because no one want anything repairing anymore,he`s just making enough to run the shop and pay the bills,but he`s not making a profit anymore..dont know what i`m going to do when he goes :sad: thats the last repair shop in my area..soon there will be none..

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Do the motors have a serial / model number on them?

Ghettoman

Member (SA)
Jul 7, 2018
Manchester, England
Hmmm i think they might do,but the thing is back together,i will have to take the back off and have a look,if its got one i will jott it down and post it up for you,the motors are not expensive ones,there cheapy ones,quite standard,lots of cheapo stereo`s and hifi`s with hi speed dubbing have them in,thats where i got my bucket load from..scrapping old budget boomboxes and hifi`s over the years,i`m whakking myself over the head right now for throwing all my spare motors away..its always the same..throw them away,then not long after,needing them Grrrrrrr :annoyed:

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
I know exactly what you mean about the motor issue paul, had the same fault with a dogy motor of a member here

one prob with it there was a slither of wire going across the motor wich i diddnt see so when i connected it, it blew my m90 grrrrrrrr, but my point is after spotting this and removing the issue i connected it to my other m90 and low and behold it was about 30 times to fast so basically the motor was knackered and yup it was an official m90 motor, so yea your tech is probbly right lad, good luck ol chap.. :-)

Ewen

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
I have used CHS for motors (great site for aerials too) before - if I remember right they were 12v ccw 2400rpm though.

Have a good old search via google - must be able to get a 1600rpm somewhere

SUCCESS

Member (SA)
May 14, 2009
THE AB+- is a dual speed motor intended for deck with high speed dubbing.
This motors have the speed regulator inside, but the pot goes outside, on the board of the radio. That's because this pot is jumped during high-speed dubbing. So it most be part of the main board.
If you put a motor with a internal pot, this motor will only have + and - (A and B won't appear).
It can work fine, but forget about the highspeed dubbing, since this information is sent across the A/B wires.
Also 1600 RPM looks a bit strange ... Never seen that. Always 2400 or 2400-4000
Perhaps a 2400 with some changes on the speed regulator would work ... I've never done that.
Another solution is an old motor with mechanical speed adjust. With this ones you get the RPM that you want.
The adjust is a bit dificult but not imposible.
Many of my Nationals still have their orignal motors with the mechanical regulator and work perfect.

roddy@radiohier

Member (SA)
Jun 5, 2009
Hamburg, Germany
www.radiohier.com
Hey gettoman,

i posted this in the s2go already but no answer, here it is again.

Hey Ghettoman,

I think the tech guy who looked at the unit doesn't know what he's talking about.
These motors have an external feedback speed control cicuit.

Before you go and spend usless money on 2 motors, try testing the 4 speed contol potentiometers to see if there o/c (open circuit). I fixed a few of these units and this is a common problem. They corrod and go o/c.
The reason the motors are running at full speed is because there's no feedback. As far as I can remember they should measure 1kohm and 500ohm. Been a while since i worked on the last one. The value is stamped on them though.
If its not the potis then its probably the HIGH SPEED switch faulty or not connected.

I'll see if I can dig up some pics for you so you know where to look on the pcb.
Do you have a multimeter anyway?
Let me know if you need more help.

Cheers. Roddy

Ghettoman

Member (SA)
Jul 7, 2018
Manchester, England
Hi roddy,thanks for the info..i`ve been on it half the day..yes you are right,the motors are ok,the 2 500k VRs have had it,i need 2 new ones now to replace them..i also had to change the belts because they were shot but i ran out of the size i need for deck A,so that will have to wait along with the 2 VR`s,i also found that the new transister the tech guy put in was`nt right,because there was another transistor next to it kept getting hot when i pressed play,so i went digging about in my bits and found the exact transistor,fitted that,no more hot transistor..
This box is starting to be no fun..actually,i think they are a bit junk..very cheap quality..i`ve wanted one of these for 20 years and now i`ve got one,i`ve done nothing but work on it,the back has`nt been on since i got it..oh well,i`ll just have to carry on,i`ll get there in the end..and hopefully,i`ll be able to enjoy it one day..

roddy@radiohier

Member (SA)
Jun 5, 2009
Hamburg, Germany
www.radiohier.com
Make sure you change all 4 VR's though. The 500 ohm ones are for Normal Speed (one for Tape A & one for Tape B) and the 1k (or 2k,can't quite remember) ones are for High speed. ie. the more feedback applied, the slower the motor goes. That why when there's no feedback, maximum speed.

Your right about the quaility of these boxes, we call them yogurt tubs here. Plastic on the outside and empty in the middle.
But alot of cool "looking" boxes are like this. The black series....the dark side of the force...!! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.