National RQ-421S

Status
Not open for further replies.

SUCCESS

Member (SA)
May 14, 2009
It's a shoe-box type cassette recorder.
But as long as it has a handle and runs on batteries it can be called "Boombox".
I have 3 RQ-421S. They are pretty easy to find here in Argentina, because they were made by a local manufacturer using the National license of course.
The manufacturer called FAGSA (stands for: Fabrica Argentina de Grabadores Sociedad Anonima) installed in a province with a tax-free scheme.
Importing devices in mid 70's was impossible in Argentina, so the only way to get things like this was importing the parts and assembling them here.
Altough they were assembled in Argentina, quality is pure National.
Most of the critical parts came from Japan, even the plastics, and of course the mecha, spk, and IC's.
I guess the only thing made there was the circuit board and the whole assembly. The printed circuit has the manufacturer logo "FAGSA"

Not too much to say, very good sound and power (1.5W at 6VDC !!!).
Volume and tone control. Recording level can be adjusted manually or automatic. I has tape counter, remote, mic in and AUX-IN that of course works when you press REC&PLAY.
Built around the same mecha that National used in higher level boomboxes, like the MAC 4300, is a little tank.

Aiwa

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
That`s one heavy brick.

I like the porthole style needle meter...

Here`s some more info about this one-. :-D

(catalog from 1973)

also I found this picture in the base with the cardboard box from fagsa:

Status
Not open for further replies.