Panasonic RX-C100 Has Left The Building...Sort Of...

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldskool69

Staff member
May 5, 2009
'Bama!!! Deep In Da' Heart O' Dixie
Well, my venerable RX-C100 has decided that it will not playback from any input.

Yep. Was getting it ready to play last night when it would do everything except put out sound.Just ran a quick diagnostic.

Cassette: Normal (Except for TPS)

Tuner: From what I can best tell...Normal

Line In: Normal

Phono: Normal

I am leaning toward somthing in the stage between the input stages to the volume, EQ, and meters. The TPS (Tape Search) cannot "see" the audio signal apparently as I can turn it on but cannot program it. (Will not react to button.) From there to the amp...

That's two Panasonics down now. The RX-C60 is still disabled as well.

But...the beat goes on.... Any suggestions? :-)

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
no sound with headphones? did you check the speakers ? i have a toshiba that does the same thing a pity too cuz its a nice box.

Superduper

Member (SA)
Check to see if it outputs a signal via line-out (hook it up to another bbox that has line-in function). If it outputs normally via the line-outs, then that means the pre-amp is working properly and you should investigate power to the amplifier circuit. Since you aren't getting any sound, it's not likely a speaker issue and most bboxes have 2 amp modules so it's unlikely to blow both sides at the same time..... although if I recall, some panasonics do use combined (stereo) output module so that IS a possibility.

2steppa

Member (SA)
May 11, 2009
Sunny Eastern England
Damn shame :sad:

I guess TPS uses a signal feed from the preamp, so it sounds like the preamp has failed.
Is there any normal amp hiss when you turn the volume up to max..? Or total silence.?

Complete sudden total failure of a preamp section is very unusual, almost soundsl ike it could be the power rails to that part of the circuit - have you made sure all the edge connectors / headers etc are fully home...?
You could wiggle all the connectors (with the volume almost to zero!) to see if it pops back to life..

If not, don't chuck it, I'll have it :lol: :-D

Hope you get it sorted, it's a stunning machine. :sin:

buzz70

Member (SA)
May 19, 2009
A Panasonic RX-C100 broken, AND an RX-C60? These are two of my favorite boomboxes! What's wrong with the C60?

I've taken apart several C100's before. You say that no input is getting to the amp?

oldskool69

Staff member
May 5, 2009
buzz70 said:
A Panasonic RX-C100 broken, AND an RX-C60? These are two of my favorite boomboxes! What's wrong with the C60?

I've taken apart several C100's before. You say that no input is getting to the amp?

The RX-C100 started working again after I left it plugged in and powered up overnight. Trying to get the C60 going now...

oldskool69

Staff member
May 5, 2009
oldskool69 said:
buzz70 said:

The RX-C100 started working again after I left it plugged in and powered up overnight. Trying to get the C60 going now...

RX-C60 still wonky....

ahardb0dy

Member (SA)
oldskool69 said:
oldskool69 said:
buzz70 said:

RX-C60 still wonky....
is that like willy wonky???

Status
Not open for further replies.