Anybody ever use these to power your BOOMBOX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
I guess as long as the polarity was right, it should work. :-/ Maybe? Oh, and the size of the jack makes a difference too.

Johnny

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
MIDWEST
My thought is when you purchase a box with no voltage selector designed for another part of the country the DC amount doesn't change.... so you should be able to use a 12 or 15 whatever is required DC voltage from a power suolly that can supply the desired voltage/watts needed.

It should work.

isolator42

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Surrey, UK
I'd recommend something like this:
http://shop.eurobatteries.com/adapter-m ... p-375.html
...more flexible & similar money.
Of course if you already have the laptop PSU... :-)
Just check the laptop PSU volage is regulated - i.e. it doesn't rise lots higher than 15V when it's not "on load". that could damage your boombox.
The PSU I've linked to is regulated, & designed specifically for things like boomboxes.

monchito

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
pythonville florida
me personaly most of the laptop power supplys use a different power plug plus the polarity should be known before you plug in but the ones that i have incounterd are high voltage ie 19v,18v so no good probably a small powersupply from radioshack works ok ;-)

Johnny

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
MIDWEST
Thanks for the replies guys, I did some investigating and it seems to work PERFECT and to me is alot more simpler than switching transformer/power supply to match your country (110 or 220 or 100).

I use 12 volt units for the 8 D-cell units and the above 15 volt for my MONSTER 10 D-cell units :-D

Hope this helps someone. I know it makes me buying a boombox from other countries easier.

Later

Johnny

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
MIDWEST
I just powered my Lasonic 920 for about 2 hours with a 12volt 50-60hz 1.35 amp unit and the power supply wasn't even hot.

I figure for my big Eltas/JC2000's a 15 volt 6 amp unit will work fine ;-)

This is SWEET!

hemiguy2006

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
I used a laptop power supply with interchangeable tips for my 220 volt Elta Masterblaster when I had it.
It worked fine.
Always make sure( like hardbody said) about the amp rating not being to high or low. :afro:

Johnny

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
MIDWEST
Hemiguy, I thought I heard it from somewhere, you mentioned it before and thats where I got the idea! Thanks!

ahardb0dy

Member (SA)
I'll have to check out the power supplies at work, we are getting new Dell laptops and the older IBM's are getting removed from service, so there are a lot of IBM power supplies lying around, will check the voltage on them. might be good for powering boombox from the car, say at the drive in we went to last night where I could have used a few boomboxes to hear the movie!!

Johnny

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
MIDWEST
Yeah!!! I bought a little dc-ac converter and it powers my boomboxes with the power supplies (doesn't matter with the u.s. units but the 100v and 220v units are the problem)......

Status
Not open for further replies.