Volume Pot for a Hitachi TRK 8200 HRC...Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dumpstermyass

Member (SA)
Jun 3, 2009
Chicagoland, IL, USA!
Good Morning Ladies and Gents,

Recently I picked up a Hitachi TRK 8200 at a decent price, primarily because it needed a little bit of work. I ended up opening the unit (which was a challenge in itself!) after the cleaning job I initially did stopped producing satisfactory results. While I was inside this unit, I did some checks to the volume potentiometer, and it was taken away by this guy :grim: , to the heaven for the late great pots of our lifetime...

My question is, is there anywhere I might hope to get this part? I did try partstore.com, and there is nothing but a manual there. I know this is an older unit, but come on man, there has to be a part that will work for this unit out there in this extremely vast galaxy!

It is a 6-pin unit, and the oxide, factoring in with age, has more or less cracked and sh**-canned the little guy. If anyone can assist me in this monumental task or can give some good advice, I will be very appreciative. Thanks and have a great weekend! :-)

Ewen

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Would anything from my 8200e work? If yes - send me pictures of what it is and you can have it.

Dumpstermyass

Member (SA)
Jun 3, 2009
Chicagoland, IL, USA!
Hi Ewen,

Thanks for replying. You know, I cannot be sure if it will or if it won't, it appears that there were quite a few suffix models on the 8200, what they all mean is a mystery to me...

Things are particularly difficult without a digital camera, so I might be stuck in a hard place here :( ... I know this probably won't be of much help, but does the E model look similar to this?

http://i43.tinypic.com/14muyqv.jpg[img]

[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/16lkxfm.jpg[img]

Sorry for being a little on the vague side. I will provide info, and hopefully pictures, when I get/take them...

Superduper

Member (SA)
Just be glad that you have a rotary volume pot and not a slider which are almost impossible to find for vintage gear due to the weird taper curves.

I hate it when cheapo plastic parts are used and that sounds like what you have. The 6 pin pot that you are talking about is very common. It sounds like what you have is a standard stereo pot (3 pins per channel). If you can see any lettering on the pot that gives the value away, you are already 1/2 way there. It might be 5k, 10k, 20k, 50k, 100k. Most likely, it is an audio taper. The biggest challenge is going to be trying to fit the old knob onto the new shaft. I'm not talking OEM part here, I'm talking about retrofitting a modern replacement -- again, it's not going to be perfect but you shouldn't have too much problem finding one that'll work. They are very common, just do some searches online, or go to mouser.com, or go on epay, etc. Because you have the item in front of you, you're the best person to search for this.

2steppa

Member (SA)
May 11, 2009
Sunny Eastern England
Dumpstermyass said:
Wow, it also looks like I can't insert pictures very well....I thought it was (your URL pic link)[img] ???[/quote]

Almost.... it's [img]image%20source%20URL - don't forget the last IMG tag has a forward slash.

Easier still, click the 'Img' button and it'll do the job for you. :cool:

Dumpstermyass

Member (SA)
Jun 3, 2009
Chicagoland, IL, USA!
Superduper said:
Just be glad that you have a rotary volume pot and not a slider which are almost impossible to find for vintage gear due to the weird taper curves.

I hate it when cheapo plastic parts are used and that sounds like what you have. The 6 pin pot that you are talking about is very common. It sounds like what you have is a standard stereo pot (3 pins per channel). If you can see any lettering on the pot that gives the value away, you are already 1/2 way there. It might be 5k, 10k, 20k, 50k, 100k. Most likely, it is an audio taper. The biggest challenge is going to be trying to fit the old knob onto the new shaft. I'm not talking OEM part here, I'm talking about retrofitting a modern replacement -- again, it's not going to be perfect but you shouldn't have too much problem finding one that'll work. They are very common, just do some searches online, or go to mouser.com, or go on epay, etc. Because you have the item in front of you, you're the best person to search for this.
Thanks Normin! I was hoping that I could just go to Partstore.com or Mouser, but I didn't get any numbers off of the unit. However, Ewen was kind enough to send me all of his Pots off an 8200 parts box...I shall keep everyone posted on the success of this project...

Status
Not open for further replies.