Sanyo M4500K connectivity to external devices / mp3 players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadouken

Member (SA)
Aug 10, 2010
Hi there,

I'm new to the boombox world (although - as a guy born in the early 80s- I've always admired those big music boxes...) and I thought it would be a good idea to ask for help before I buy my first boombox. The one I'm interested in is the Sanyo M4500K:

http://www.stereo80s.com/bbx.cfm?id=471

There's just a little problem: I want to use the Sanyo to play music from my mp3 player. As the box itself is from 1979, I'd like to know if there's a way to connect my mp3 player to the Sanyo. Thx in advance for your help!

mellymelsr

Member (SA)
Sep 11, 2009
Northern Cali
I believe the 4500 has RCA inputs on the side so mp3 play should be no problem. That is a rare bird and not easy to find so I wish you luck....and welcome to the site...this is the best boombox site on the planet... :-D

MasterBlaster84

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Northern California
Welcome to the #1 place for boombox admirers who like to share their passions. :thumbsup:

I have the sears version of this box and think it's actually a pretty nice box even though it's only a tone control box.
I believe Melly is right about the input, I just can't verify it since I keep it on my desk at work.

Price really depends on condition and your location but I would not spend over $100 to $125 total with shipping, that's just my opinion though so take it with a grain of salt.

Superduper

Member (SA)
Almost all boomboxes have RCA inputs. I don't think, however, that this model has an AUX playback feature. That means you can only monitor the MP3 with the cassette in the Record Mode. Some have suggested listening to external sources via the line-outs. I personally do not recommend that method. So you may want to verify whether this model has an aux-in feature first if that is going to be a frequent use of the boombox. But I believe this will be a lower model than the M9990 which also does not have an aux-in feature and lower models generally have less features, not more.

MasterBlaster84

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Northern California
I think I recall my version having 4 RCA jacks together and one is a phono input, not sure if it's switchable on the jack panel to line-in. If you can get a better picture of the RCA jacks on the side as well as a pic of the controls on the top you should be able to tell what kind of external connections are possible.

MasterBlaster84

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Northern California
Just found some pics online and yes this box has a phono input on the function switch but I didn't see an phono/line-in selector. That means you would need a simple signal convertor to make it work at line level. Some members here have these, maybe they will chime in and tell you the name and where to buy one or you can search the forum. You can also build one if your handy, the plans are simple and on the internet.

Superduper

Member (SA)
MasterBlaster84 said:
Just found some pics online and yes this box has a phono input on the function switch but I didn't see an phono/line-in selector. That means you would need a simple signal convertor to make it work at line level. Some members here have these, maybe they will chime in and tell you the name and where to buy one or you can search the forum. You can also build one if your handy, the plans are simple and on the internet.
That is 90% of the battle right there. :yes:

Status
Not open for further replies.