National RX-5700 vs the National/Panasonic RX-7000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superduper

Member (SA)
Due to the numbering convention, it might seem like the RX-5700 is a big drop down in the model lineup from the RX-7000. Here is a simple mini-comparo.

Looks: Personally, I think the more conventional look of the RX-5700 has it hands down, over the RX-7000. It LOOKS like a boombox compared to the 7000 which looks more like a piece of home gear. When idle, like the silver dial of the RX-5700 better than the dark dial of the RX-7000 but that is a personal preference. In operation, the lighted dial of the 7000 is more attractive. Who doesn't like lighted tuner dials? Size wise is almost the same, as you can see. The 7000 is probably a tad bigger, but the size difference is neglegible. For all practical purposes, they're very close in size. In fact, with the tuning knob on the side of the 5700, the overall width is probably the same. The 7000 has soft-touch cassette mechanism compared to the 5700 which uses the traditional manual lever/controls ala M70/M9994. BUT the 5700 music search feature is far more robust than the puny 3-song search engine of the 7000. I didn't compare the number of features but the 5700 "looks" like it would have more features although I'm not 100% sure. The RX-7000 was released in the USA as a domestic model but the RX-5700 apparently never was so this is a very rare model to find in the USA. If you get one though, it invariably will have the typical japanese scum of death unless it has already been cleaned. The environment must be very corrosive over in japan. I didn't weigh them but the 5700 is a tank. Solid like a rock. The 7000 seemed like it might weigh a little less but I didn't actually weigh it so I'm not 100% certain. Tuner knob on the 7000 is fantastic. The weighted knob feels like something that belongs in a quality home hi-fi tuner. The knob on the 5700 is on the side so it's not weighted. Reception -- My best guess is that it's a toss up since aside from the weighted knob, I would expect the two models to share the same tuner circuitry. Sound wise -- Both are very good but I have to give the nod to the 7000 which seems like it has a bit better bass. Looks to me like the 7000 might have a better woofer which possibly accounts for the difference. Putting in more robust speakers might make the 5700 perform a bit better and match the bass of the 7000 but it's good the way it is. The difference isn't all that much and certainly not night/day so if you like this model, do not let that discourage you.

To give you a size comparison, here is the 5700 + 7000 + M9994. Many of you might not have either the 5700 or 7000 but ARE familiar with the Sanyo M9994 so this puts them into perspective.

Here again a 9994 in front of the 5700 and 7000.

Top View: In the picture, the 7000 looks like it might be deeper but look again -- the handle on the 5700 is up while the 7000 is down and the handle protrudes backwards.

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
thank you , norm --

who among us ....has ever heard a 5700 ???????
i am on the long list of those who have not
:sadno: :-)

BMoney

Member (SA)
Aug 1, 2009
Northern Cali / Bay Area
Awesome comparison Norm! :cool:
You should have thrown in your RX-7200 just for the hell of it as a cameo. :yes:

I, for one, have never seen a RX-5700 in person. I love the layout of it. I love the looks. But the speaker rings behind the square grilles make me scratch my head. Like, why? The RX-7000, on the other hand, took me a while to appreciate. I hated it at first. I hated all upside down boomboxes when I started collecting. But then I figured, why not? At least I won't have to reach far for the tuner when it's on my desk. So, between these 2, I also give the nod to the RX-7000. Because, let's face it. A box with wood grain isn't going to be a practical box to take to the beach or basketball court. And if it's going to be a shelf queen, it might as well be one with an illuminated dial and a warm sound.

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
interesting observations bmoney :hmmm:

i also dont like those plastic speaker rings --
and if the 5700 has no dial lamp :dunce:

then...................FKIT !!!!
:lol: :lol:

Superduper

Member (SA)
I'm not sure if the 5700 has a dial light or not but it won't be an acrylic one -- it will be reflective one. And IF it has one, it will be a momentary one. Maybe someone else can chime in. I already put mine away and it's really really buried so I am not going to see it again, for months! :lol: :lol: Personally, I don't mind the speaker rings. Many boomboxes have those including the RX-7700. Heck, even the bolt box has a cheap plastic lightning bolt behind it.

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
imvo --those rings are the only weak part of the great 7700 design --

and they seem way too common on so many of the 'lesser'
pioneers, pannys. toshibas and sanyos --

like -- waddup wit dem ??? :thumbsdown: :lol:

redbenjoe said:
thank you , norm --

who among us ....has ever heard a 5700 ???????
i am on the long list of those who have not
:sadno: :-)
They are a beautiful sounding box Ira, you need to get one. Also while the size is almost Identical to a Sharp GF-666, the Sharp weighs a few lbs more.

Edit: Oh yeah, the twin VU's need a better light, and I don't mind the speaker rings at all.

Superduper said:
Ok, thanks. If the VU's light, then I'm pretty sure the dial is supposed to light too. It wouldn't make sense to install a momentary light on the VU's only, now does it? More likely your dial lamp is burnt out if that were the case.
Well.......

I did wonder about that, but......

The little press switch for the batt test turns the light on the VU's when pressed. i.e. momentary.

So I wasn't sure.

restocat

Member (SA)
Apr 25, 2010
New Mexico, USA
Having both the rx7000 and the rx7200, I might also have to get a 5700 just to complete a panny woodgrain collection. However, a 5350 also appears to complete a set since they have similar design.
So what should I get the 5350 or the 5700? Which would make a better set of 3? :-)

restocat

Member (SA)
Apr 25, 2010
New Mexico, USA
As for rings the 7700 looks great. Ditto on a 5600. Perhaps too many copycats ruined the design. Kind of like the marantz 3 piece, first of it's kind, yet it became a feature of the 'declining years' boomboxes of the late 80s to early 90s.

Status
Not open for further replies.