Thoese who have restored broken or damaged screw pivots

Status
Not open for further replies.

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
Would you please do a small how to to show how you went about doing this with epoxy and explain the type of epoxy you used.
What about those that have broken and don't have any plastic to glue back in place or have plastic bits missing and need restructuring ?
I'm sure there are countless times people have bought boxes with this problem, so I think it would be most useful.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Here's an earlier topic...

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=3860

As for missing screw posts, you can try SINISTER's old trick.

Fill with with a plastic weld compound such as JB Weld and let cure. Drill a screw tap and you are set.

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
Thanks for the pics FD.
I've tried this method before but not quite got it right I think. Would you recommend leaving the outer piece in place once the weld has cured ?

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
docs said:
Thanks for the pics FD.
I've tried this method before but not quite got it right I think. Would you recommend leaving the outer piece in place once the weld has cured ?
Most definitely. :yes: You might have to use some sort of release agent so the form doesn't get stuck too.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
It looks like it should work. Just remember to give it plenty of time to cure. If the instructions say 12 hours - give it 24. :yes:

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
I think I'm now in a position to drill down the centre, I don't want to go too small and obviously not too big.
The one in the pic too small or about right you think ?

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
I would go a little bigger. You just want the threads of the screw cutting into the new material. With the bit you show, I think you will create too much pressure when inserting the screw and the post might split again......

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
Ok thanks mate, upped the size, this bit fits easily into the screw pivot but doesn't leave loads of movement like the other.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Go inbetween the two sizes you have shown and you will be good to go! Drill a test hole in something else that is plastic/compound first.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
blu_fuz said:
Go inbetween the two sizes you have shown and you will be good to go! Drill a test hole in something else that is plastic/compound first.
I agree.

Do you have a micrometer? If so, measure the screw on the smooth part and round down to the next smaller drill bit size. You should be good to go.

Jovie

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
You guys are lucky having the remaining "fin" to hold your screw post extensions.I have ones broken off clean to their base.I'm still trying to figure out how to rebuild them.I tried the technique without it and my additional piece snapped off like a twig. :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.