JVC RC M90 vs Sony FH7 vs Panasonic DT 680

Status
Not open for further replies.

mellymelsr

Member (SA)
Sep 11, 2009
Northern Cali
I decided to have this battle to find out for myself if the M90 is better than these to heavy hitters. I must say the M90 enters this contest with several disadvantages. It is the oldest of the bunch, has an open air design, analog tuner, and the least amount of power. The FH7 is the heaviest and most powerful of the bunch. The DT 680 is the ugly duckling and great all around performer. These boxes have 3 very different designs. The M90 is an open air designed 1 piece unit. The FH7 is a 6 piece shelf style unit. The DT680 is a 3 piece, plain looking box loaded with features. I will be judging these boxes on looks, portability, tuner, cassette, and sound. I chose these categories because that is what I look for in a box. I chose a variety of music including 80's hip-hop and electric funk, jazz, rock, and modern (overprocessed) hip-hop to properly choose a winner.

LOOKS: The M90 is the looker of this bunch with its aggressive dark grey paint, large woofers and shiny chrome accents. the FH7 has an industrial look to it, built like a tank, and heavy as one. The DT 680 is bland with its unpainted plastic look. The order of finish on this one...(1) M90 (2) FH7 (3) 680

PORTABILITY: The M90 has a distinct advantage here being a 1 piece unit although it is the second heaviest of the bunch. The 680 is the lightest by far but I would never take a 3 piece outside...and besides it is ugly as sin. The FH7 is heavy as a tank and the optional battery pack is super rare so its portability is nil. so here its...(1) M90 (2) 680 (3) FH7

TUNER: The M90 has the burden of an analog tuner...but it is an excellent one. It had no problem picking up stations with a strong stereo signal with excellent sound. The 680 has a very good digital tuner, but just not as good as the M90. The FH7 had the hardest time of the 3 picking up stations in my area. So here its...(1) M90 (2) 680 (3) FH7

CASSETTE: The M90 has a single direction prologic cassette which feature dolby b and super anrs noise reduction. The M90 has one of the best sounding cassette decks I have heard on a portable. The FH7 has a multi directional cassette with some very neat features. When you put the cassette in the system automatically chooses the cassette type and illuminates the choice on the left side of the cassette door. The direction of cassette play also illuminates on the center of the cassette door. The FH7 has an excellent cassette as well but the M90 is a little better. The 680 has a multi directional dual cassette deck that allows continuous playback on both decks...a very nice feature for cassette lovers. The 680's cassette has very good detailed sound but the M90 and FH7 are better. So here it's...(1) M90 (2) FH7 (3) 680

SOUND: I broke sound up into 3 areas: Bass, Mids & Tweets, and Overall sound clarity

BASS: The 680 has the deepest "Kaboom" type bass of the three. It easily handles music with very heavy bass notes with a smooth, powerful delivery. The powerful FH7 hits very hard but does not handle the deep bass as well as the 680. The M90 hits very hard for a 1 piece box but it's open air design is overmatched by these multi piece boxes. So here it's (surprisingly) ...(1) 680 (2) FH7 (3) M90

MIDS & TWEETS: The M90 has the disadvanted of being the only box without an eq in this battle. Didn't need it though because the M90 has some of the most detailed tweeter I have heard in a portable. When playing any kind of music that doesn't require a heavy bass note the M90 simply sounds amazing. The FH7 with its massive power screams at you with its midrange sound. It's eq allows you to taylor the music with a rich and beautiful sound. The 680 won't blow you away with its power, but it just sounds plain gooood. So here its...(1) M90 (2) FH7 (3) 680

OVERALL CLARITY: This was the hardest area to judge because all 3 of these units have magnificent sound. The M90 shines when playing 80's music and jazz. The FH7 had crazy power and is a great overall performer. The 680 does everything well and shines on heavy bass tracks. So to choose a winner I listened to each unit and compared them back to back to back and this is the conclusion I came to. The M90 has wonderful sound but the FH7 and 680 have a deeper, richer sound. The FH7 sounds wonderful with all types of music but can't reproduce the low bass notes like the 680. But it came down to this...when playing the 680 and FH7 side by side the 680 just has a little more clarity and makes the music sound a little better. So my shocking conclusion here is...(1) 680 (2) FH7 (3) M90. So when I tally up the score the overall winner is the king of the 1 piece boxes...the M90...but there really is no loser here. I am very impressed with the fact that the M90 can keep up with 2 better designed and powerful boxes and more than hold its own. Here are some pics of the players...

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
the m90 is the king of my collection regardless of looks or sound the m90 is a legend in my collection that no other box can replace .

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
That's definitely a great write-up, Melly, and a lot of effort went into it. However, I knew the winner before I even read it. :-D The JVC RC-M90 is no joke. :no:

One thing I noticed is how small the FH-7 appears to be in your picture. It almost looks smaller than the FH-5. :huh:

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
thanks alot melly -
that was full of surprises and terrific information --

the only test you did not write up --
was the 3 way low volume comparo -

all three boxes might have a different character --
when played quietly --and extra power doesnt count

mellymelsr

Member (SA)
Sep 11, 2009
Northern Cali
redbenjoe said:
thanks alot melly -
that was full of surprises and terrific information --

the only test you did not write up --
was the 3 way low volume comparo -

all three boxes might have a different character --
when played quietly --and extra power doesnt count
...I meant to mention that the clarity test was done at normal listening volume indoors...just under 50% volume...but based on what I heard at low volume the M90 has better clarity when low. The M90 has some magnificent mids and tweets that sound heavenly at low volume. The multi piecers need the extra volume to shine... :-D ...all I have to say is the M90 is one impressive machine and has instantly become my favorite... :yes: ...Do believe the hype!!

FD...the Sony measures W-21 1/4" x H-10 1/8" x D-9 1/8"...it's small but packs a mighty punch... :-D

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
thanks again , melly -

i have enjoyed 100s of hours --late at nite -
with my m90 set up at full bass & treble
and with the loudness on --
then - even at quiet volumes --
it seems to put out an extra satisfying --
room filling sound :cool: :surf: :-) :-)

and the bass has that 'alive' pump to it - :yes: :yes:

oldskool69

Staff member
May 5, 2009
'Bama!!! Deep In Da' Heart O' Dixie
Fatdog said:
That's definitely a great write-up, Melly, and a lot of effort went into it. However, I knew the winner before I even read it. :-D The JVC RC-M90 is no joke. :no:

One thing I noticed is how small the FH-7 appears to be in your picture. It almost looks smaller than the FH-5. :huh:

Good write up Mel! :thumbsup: But when speaking of clarity, this goes back to when I asked if you had the MK-II or MK-III. The FH-5 I have has a soundstage like no other to me (except my Sansui CP-77W/99W in "Multi-Dimension" mode...) because it has the three way APM's which came with it and were added for the FH-7 MK-II/MK-III. Also the APM's thump and go low nice and deep, plus has better reflex ports!

Bobby has heard my FH-5 firsthand. Believe me, with the three way APM's it makes a HUGE diference. :yes:

My Sony FH-5 :-D (The FH-5 & 7 share the same dimensions.) :

Mels FH-7:

mellymelsr

Member (SA)
Sep 11, 2009
Northern Cali
oldskool69 said:
Fatdog said:

Good write up Mel! :thumbsup: But when speaking of clarity, this goes back to when I asked if you had the MK-II or MK-III. The FH-5 I have has a soundstage like no other to me (except my Sansui CP-77W/99W in "Multi-Dimension" mode...) because it has the three way APM's which came with it and were added for the FH-7 MK-II/MK-III. Also the APM's thump and go low nice and deep, plus has better reflex ports!

Bobby has heard my FH-5 firsthand. Believe me, with the three way APM's it makes a HUGE diference. :yes:

My Sony FH-5 :-D (The FH-5 & 7 share the same dimensions.) :

[ Image ]

Mels FH-7:

[ Image ]
...now I gotta go and buy an MK II or III...the wife is gonna love that news... :-D

oldskool69

Staff member
May 5, 2009
'Bama!!! Deep In Da' Heart O' Dixie
Mel... :-D

Here is the MK-II...Still had two ways but added APM woofs...

Here is the MK-III with three way wide stage...THIS is the one you want...I guarantee you'll think a bit harder about the Sony after hering armed with these... :yes:

(Images courtesy of Pocket Calculator Show Website :-) )

bill

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Vancouver
cool review.
i think my 680 has better bass than my fh-7 mk3 . i have to say my fh-7 is one of my favorite of my boxes.
i think that the panasonic is also fantastic.
depends on the mood i am in wich one i will go for.

mellymelsr

Member (SA)
Sep 11, 2009
Northern Cali
bill said:
cool review.
i think my 680 has better bass than my fh-7 mk3 . i have to say my fh-7 is one of my favorite of my boxes.
i think that the panasonic is also fantastic.
depends on the mood i am in wich one i will go for.
...I agree with you Bill. I sometimes forget how truly nice the 680 sounds because I am usually listening to my better looking boxes, but then I turn it on and I say to myself " Damn this thing sounds sweet, but why does it have to be so ugly".

Sony_apm_fan I wasn't expecting the M90 to fully live up to the hype but it did and then some. As a collector I am glad I had a lot of other boxes first and then got the M90 because all others pale in comparison. It is the sweetest sounding 1 piece box I have ever heard and can go head to head with the top multi piece boxes...the M90 takes any collection to the next level.

MasterBlaster84

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Northern California
Great comparison Melly and I agree the M90 just has some extra magic to it but I might be biased since my favorite style is the one piece. Even being a one piece fan I have to admit there are a few three piece (or more) boxes that I really appreciate and the 680 plus siblings are always in this group. :yes:

mellymelsr

Member (SA)
Sep 11, 2009
Northern Cali
redbenjoe said:
does anyone know --
if the 680 and the 780 sound identical ?
thanks
My 680 seems to have a little more power and bass than my 780, but the 780 has the better tape deck...sound clarity wise they seem the same... :-D

Jovie

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Thanks! This is a very informative and valuable post for us all.The findings that the 680 lacks mids/highs compared to the m90 doesn't surprise me.I've gone on and on in the past about post-Golden era boxes lacking in the upper ranges.The 680 ,like other '90s boxes,just sound more "polite" if not actually lacking measurable treble output.Its sliders don't seem to have enough range of effect for my liking.As for bass,it isn't as important to me as it is with so many other collectors.

I'm thinking I'd like to find an FH7as I like lots of mid range. Of course,I'd like an M90,but I'm not sure I want to pay whats required to get one.I tend to like boxes that aren't on everyone's radar anyway.Anyway,very informative post :thumbsup:

LLopez

Member (SA)
May 8, 2009
:-D I always knew that the King will always be the M90, But I still read the info. Great info Mell. :yes:

Status
Not open for further replies.