I have (2) 777's to build one perfect one - need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
OK,

I bought two 777's that have small issues and also have a couple differences.

(1) American box with AC cord and power supply.
-both of the tape decks work fine
-FM works fine
-SW1, SW2, and AM and they don't work for some reason
-back case is melted
-front case scratched pretty good
-missing tabs on the speaker cover

(2) European box with euro cord and power supply.
-both of the tape decks work fine but missing one cassette door
-FM, SW, MW, LW functions instead of SW1, SW2, and AM
-cosmetically perfect besides the missing cassette door

Basically I am asking if I should use the case, speaker covers, and other parts from the Euro box that doesn't have the radio bands I like to put on the american box? OR, should I take at least the cassette door and/or band selector, tuner display, and power supply from the american box and put it in the euro box?

I don't know what would be easiest to have 100% box with the american power supply and possibly the band selections I want...... Help if you can, thank you.

Will the SW, MW, and LW bands work in the USA? What are they compared to the SW1, SW2, and AM?

Superduper

Member (SA)
I believe the bands are essentially the same. MW is simply AM. Personally, I would use the best parts from each box and combine them to make the best one out of both. The european PS doesn't matter -- as long as it's multi-voltage. The cord is only different on the mains end. The end that goes into the boombox should be the same, right?

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
I have neither box home yet from being shipped, but it would be awesome if the plug end in the back of the Euro box is the same as the US box and then all I have to do is switch the voltage selector..... The Euro one should be here tomorrow, then I will know for sure.

So on the Euro box, the MW is AM and the SW and LW are what?

If I am to build one 777 100% it would be best to start with the Euro because it needs just a cassette door.

Superduper

Member (SA)
Nope. MW is our AM band so that is the same.

But the SW's will be different.
SW1 and SW2 combined spans 2.3 to 22mhz.

On the other one, SW band is narrowere but will span 6.0 to 18mhz
BUT you'll also get 150 to 235khz on the LW band.

I'm 99% sure that the plug end (that goes into the wall) is the only thing different on the cord. The other end is the same. BUT some connectors including EXT antenna will likely be euro din connectors.

BMoney

Member (SA)
Aug 1, 2009
Northern Cali / Bay Area
IMO, it's really kind of a shame you're even considering parting out a boombox that only needed a cassette door.

The power supply isn't such a big issue. The seller stated that an adapter would work perfectly fine. An adapter that you can get anywhere. Radio Shack, Target, etc.

Dismantling 2 boomboxes and completely rebuilding one is a bigger job than you might expect. Norm makes it look easy because...well...he's the man. Is MW so foreign that you absolutely must replace it with the AM tuner everybody else has? Why would you make a job into a bigger production that it needs to be? Why not just slap a cassette door on it (or both so they match)? And if the Euro plug really annoyed you, why not just swap it with the US power supply? Then you're done. Then you can enjoy it.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
BMoney, My plan was to swap the US power supply and the cassette door from the melted/scratched box then sell off the damaged one to someone who would want to re-build it. I don't want 2 of these, I just need one good one. You gotta believe that my intent is not to make the Euro one worse, I am just unfamiliar with the euro power supply, cord, band selections, etc. that's why I made this thread so I wouldn't do something that would be detrimental to one of the boxes.....

I appreciate the input honestly and I think I will work with the Euro as is and just might still try to fix the melted/scratched box too before selling it.

Super, thank you for clearing up the differences in the bandwidths. I was just hoping for the FM and some kind of AM because I like to hit up the ocassional talk radio :thumbsup: . Looks like the Euro box will do great in my collection and it does look very minty from the pics that's why I couldn't resist hitting the "buy it now" on ebay for it. Very nice seller and I appreciate their honesty too.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Back on topic! :-D

Can anyone else confirm that I could just switch the voltage selector over to 110v and use a US power plug?

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
I got the 777 from ebay tonight, and sure enough it is the 777H! Woo hoo.

Alright, I switched the voltage selector to the 110v and put a plug in and everything works as it should :thumbsup: . Even the cassette B that is missing the door plays fantastic.

Seller didn't disclose that one antenna was busted off :-/ .

The line in switch in the back to switch from line in to phono is a little touchy but I did get it to work. Probably hasn't been used before.

I think the weighted part of the tuner dial is damaged from shipping, something doesn't feel right when I turn the knob and the tuner needle jumps around a bit like it is getting jammed...

Other than that, the box looks great and it made it in one piece. Phweeeew, that is always nerve recking.

Thanks for the tips guys.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
The "H" works almost flawlessly and looks the part too. I would rate it a 9.5 of 10 for sure.

The "Z" came in today and is what I expected. Needs some TLC to make it look nice again but it does work except for the SW/AM bands. I'm sure it just needs a little cleaning.

Overall, the "H" was a far better deal and I might have to let the "Z" go up for sale so that someone who knows what they are doing can restore it to it's former glory.

Either way, I am happy to have both right now to admire the subtle differences :thumbsup: .

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
No spare parts, sorry. There was a parts 777z box listed on ebay yesterday. Kinda pricey though. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.