Hummmm.. Helix H-4636

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ewen

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Hi,

I have a Helix that HUMS quite loudly when powered up - if you touch the sides of the box, you can feel it humming too!

All functions work fine (radio/decks etc.) and in fact I am looking to sell it via the bay soon. I just want to make sure I am not going to send an electrical time bomb to someone!

So - anyone got any ideas? Is that normal?

Thanks for reading.

Ewen

Johnny

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
MIDWEST
I have one and mine doesn't humm from what I remember.. been awhile since I listened to it though too..

Not for sure what it could be, try deoxing the controls... maybe a shotty ground...

skippy1969

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Baraboo Wisconsin
It could be humming because it doesn't know the words to the song your playing... LOL! Sorry I couldn't resist. :lol: :lol:
Seriously though it sounds like a bad ground or a dirty switch. :yes: :-)

Ewen

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Thanks guys - I'll open it and have a look. Just tested with batts and that's fine so I hope you're right as it's mint and I want to MAXIMISE so I can outbid Johnny on Henrys GF1000 :lol:

Very droll Skippy !

Ewen

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Ok, I'm uslesss - here is what I am seeing. Which one should I be tampering with?!!

Thanks guys..

2steppa

Member (SA)
May 11, 2009
Sunny Eastern England
Could be a noisy transformer - similar scenario when a fluorescent light fitting starts humming (that's a noisy choke/ballast but still a wirewound device). Soemtimes this may be accentuated by the transformer mounting being loose.

monchito

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
pythonville florida
ewen the even the transformer may make some noise but thats what the job of the caps are for,, so close together wires in bundles can cause some noise, bad ground solder joint may be a culprit to there could be tons of things but at the same time maybe something simple even overlooked :-) :-)

Johnny

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
MIDWEST
Ewen said:
Thanks guys - I'll open it and have a look. Just tested with batts and that's fine so I hope you're right as it's mint and I want to MAXIMISE so I can outbid Johnny on Henrys GF1000 :lol:

Very droll Skippy !
Ewen, stop it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Henry probably won't sell me one and if he does I'll post lots of pics!!!! :yes:

You know I love ya.... in a totally heterosexual way.. that is! :-P

WEYLAND/YUTANI CORP

Member (SA)
May 15, 2009
ST HELIERS,AUCKLAND,NEW ZEALAND
Hmm well I dont have a 4636 but I do have the HORTEX aka and the ESC aka version and the hortex does have slight hum but not bad. Not enough to rip her open. The ESC is fine. :thumbsup: Although the hortex seems to have come with far better speakers than the ESC. Are the speakers on the 4636 bass reflex or just standard paper edges. Curious.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
My dynasty ht-959 hums too. That's about all the music I have heard from my BBX :'-(

Ewen

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
OK - UPDATE:

The transformer was the source of the humming and was clearly on it's last legs as after a short while it went pop and produced a little smoke! :'-(

So, I now need to try and replace the damaged parts. I've put a request into the Wanted section for the transformer, power pcb and wires etc..

Although the box is now dead I do feel a little better that I know what it was and then a straight swap should resolve.

Thanks for your comments/notes/suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.