M90...... Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bredgeo

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
France
Ah, the motor is starting to slow down!!!! Damn crap, crap damn, damn!!!!

So, not to waste time can one of you just post a pic (or give the part/number) on what to change...... :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :yes: ..... :'-(

:blush:

bredgeo

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
France
Hummmm....

Yes, could be.... But, belts are 1 1/2 to 2 years of age. But one never knows. I will have a look.

Any other possibilities guys? :-/

Superduper

Member (SA)
Hey Bredgeo,

BEFORE you do anything about your motor, you really should focus on the much more common and likely issues:

(1) Belts worn, stretched, or slipping. I know you said you replaced them 2 years ago but they could be slipping, especially if they were contaminated during the install process which is easy to do when slipping the belts over parts with grease, fingers etc.
(2) There are 4 fusible resistors in the cassette logic control board. It is very very common for them to blow or change values as they age due to heat -- and they DO generate lots of heat. IF they have changed values, especially if higher value, the motor will NOT get full voltage and it will run slow or drag.
(3) Remember that the M90 cassette deck has 2 motors. A capstan motor and a FF/RW motor.

BTW, partstore.com is notorious for showing classic/antique parts on their website. They will gladly take your order, then inform you it's on back order, then back order again, then cancel your order 6 or 8 weeks later. I have thus far NEVER received anything from them except 1 service manual. About a dozen other orders were always accepted but never fulfilled. Their database is woefully out of date.

PM me your mailing address. I will send you a FULL set of belts. I will also send you instructions on how to remove/change your belts and locations to test your fusible resistors.

Norm. :super:

bredgeo

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
France
(2) There are 4 fusible resistors in the cassette logic control board. It is very very common for them to blow or change values as they age due to heat -- and they DO generate lots of heat. IF they have changed values, especially if higher value, the motor will NOT get full voltage and it will run slow or drag.
That is what I am talking about!!!! That is what I wanted to hear!!!!!! :cool:

The belts, ihave changed them already... so there is no problems here!!!

PM me your mailing address. I will send you a FULL set of belts. I will also send you instructions on how to remove/change your belts and locations to test your fusible resistors.
Yes, I will PM you mainly for the location and eventually testing and replacing of the resistors! And for belts, for having back up belts will be GREAT!!!

:thumbsup:

:blush:

bredgeo

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
France
So, guys!!!! It was a simple belt change as most of you said.... yes! Yes!!! A simple belt change!

The belts that were on there were about 1 1/2 years old, bought from Hong Kong.... Hummmm, most of the time stuff from there are okay... this time not!!!

Let me go to thank the member who helped me out!!!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
I'm glad to hear that you got it sorted, Brian. :thumbsup:

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
Sorry for dragging this thread out of retirement.

Changing the belts on this deck, is it a case of removing the back PCB and getting at the deck from the back ?

bredgeo

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
France
Hey there! Thank you DogFat!!!!!!!!! :-D -Manual-

Ehhhhhh...... might have a transformer for you there off a Jap 9191 (100v)...... Should work! Or, might have the European multi-voltage for that in France! let me know! Oh, and might have the top trim for the M70 as well (but in France, as well).... I will let you know.... as well!

But, you let me know! You know?

:-P

Status
Not open for further replies.