• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Superduper

Superduper
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 6,165 posts
  • LocationSomewhere over the rainbow, USA

Posted 19 June 2010 - 07:27 PM

Recapped the mainboard, replaced one power amplifier, removed and reseated the other. Both heatsinks were cleaned off and new silicone heatsink compound was installed. Rebuilt one 100hz slider, Repaired the always power on issue, rebelted the cassette decks (but the motor speed control is knackered so unless someone can spare a motor, it's like that), rewired the Power Supply with proper cables instead of the mish/mash combination of python cables and hair thin wires. Found unit consuming 5 times the normal amount of current due to amp bias way off base, traced the case due to toasted zener diode in the regulator that probably blew along with the regulator transistor when Joe reversed the power connections. FM not capturing stereo but without tuner specs and adjustment procedures, can't do too much about it. It's way out of alignment beyond a simple 19khz centering adjustment -- sorry Joe. BUT Now, running very good, full volume is no issue on internal Power Supply. No Mo Popping and 100% volume is no problem! View the Original post here: http://www.boomboxer...?p=26154#p26154

Joe -- call or PM me regarding dial lamp upgrade, if you want it. Otherwise, it's coming home to you! I need the space. Damn, this thing is BIG!

Yo3y97phG5Q

#2 redbenjoe

redbenjoe

I Am Legend

• Eternal Order of Boom
  • 17,944 posts
  • Locationflorida

Posted 19 June 2010 - 07:32 PM

just one more..............
spectacular norm save :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

#3 Superduper

Superduper
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 6,165 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 07:41 PM

The first time I opened it up to take a peek, Ira, the only spot big enough was my bed. Then when a bug fell out of it, my wife kicked me outta there! Had to do some mega cleanup to clear the space you see in the video. No counter/desk would've been big enough so it had to be repaired on the floor.

#4 MasterBlaster84

MasterBlaster84
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,080 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 19 June 2010 - 07:46 PM

Spectacular Norm, you are a gift to boomboxes. :angelic:
You set the high water mark for how good we would all like to be at repairing boxes. :thumbsup:

I remember Tha Fuzz having some of the same issues on his Wheelie.

#5 oldskool69

oldskool69
  • Moderators
  • 6,711 posts
  • Location'Bama!!! Deep In Da' Heart O' Dixie

Posted 19 June 2010 - 08:02 PM

...The first time I opened it up to take a peek, Ira, the only spot big enough was my bed. Then when a bug fell out of it, my wife kicked me outta there!...

The insect was merely a deposit for you to perform the work!!!! :w00t: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great job once again Norm! :thumbsup:

#6 monchito

monchito
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,599 posts
  • Locationpythonville florida

Posted 19 June 2010 - 08:54 PM

great job norm :thumbsup: :thumbsup: thats why i have a can of raid handy :w00t: :lol: :lol:

#7 Fatdog

Fatdog
  • Administrators
  • 9,808 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee, U.S.A.

Posted 19 June 2010 - 10:17 PM

Blu could not be here tonight, so I will proudly accept the Dynasty for him. You still have my address, Norm. Don't you? :-D

#8 blu_fuz

blu_fuz
  • Moderators
  • 10,098 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 19 June 2010 - 11:02 PM

Hahaha, fantastic job Norm. Another saved boomer, and this time it just happens to be mine :thumbsup: .

Fatdog, I'm sure he will mail you the Dyasty if you pickup the tab for fixing it :-O . j/k Norm - I am a very happy customer, now to get it back home safe and sound.

#9 mellymelsr

mellymelsr
  • Members
  • 2,113 posts
  • LocationNorthern Cali

Posted 19 June 2010 - 11:16 PM

...Norm your level of electronic genius always astounds me...excellent job as usual... :thumbsup:

#10 BMoney

BMoney
  • Members
  • 551 posts
  • LocationNorthern Cali / Bay Area

Posted 19 June 2010 - 11:37 PM

phenomenal, norm. :yes:
you're the man. :cool:

#11 SINISTER

SINISTER
  • Banned
  • 502 posts
  • Locationtha great beyond........

Posted 20 June 2010 - 01:58 AM

ok now get ta fixin mine!!!!! :-D

#12 Superduper

Superduper
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 6,165 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 02:08 AM

Patience, man-o-sin, patience.

#13 Superduper

Superduper
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 6,165 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 02:41 AM

OK. Power Supply area BEFORE. To remove transformer required desoldering. When shipped to me, the transformer was removed to prevent possible shipping damage. Some wires, from all the flexing were hanging by only a strand or two. Some wires were thick. Some were super thin. The red/black twist combination is actually the wires that power the boombox :-O Seemed kinda thin for a pair of amps that are rated to draw 2.5amps a piece at max current draw (excludes the rest of the system).
Posted Image

Thin blue wire and thick yellow/red wire?? :huh: What bright engineer designed that? :dunce: The switch toggles the blue wire to connect with either the yellow or red.
Posted Image

Posted Image

AFTER: Consistently sized heavy guage cables. Neatly tied. Quick connectors will allow transformer to be easily removed/reinstalled.
Posted Image

Now that's what I like to see. A trio of consistent sized cables to the switch. Also, note the large cables from battery compartment and also the thick anaconda snaking up to the main board. That replaces the thin twist wires from before.
Posted Image

:super:

Cassette decks rebelted:
Posted Image

Re-Capping Job:
Posted Image

Some of the new caps. Nichicon Muse premium line (audio grade)
Posted Image

Working on the equalizer PCB:
Posted Image

Rebuilding the 100khz equalizer slider that was cutting in/out.
Posted Image

Replaced the blown zener regulator diode: (the brown thing near center).
Posted Image

BEFORE: See amp modules. One had old heatsink compound. The other was lacking it. The fella that helped Joe install the amp chips did a decent job soldering them in, but the screws securing the heatsinks were somewhat stripped and he didn't use new heatsink compound. In fact, he didn't even clean off the old compound which was already hard/dried. The new amp modules had no chance dissipating power.
Posted Image

AFTER: Both ampliifer modules were removed. Old compound was cleaned off with solvent and the amps were reseated with new compound. Discovered one amp running much hotter than the other and that one was Replaced as it was deemed possibly damaged from (overheating). New thermal grease can be seen along the edges of the amp modules.
Posted Image

NOT SHOWN: Power switch was desoldered from board and tested, then cleaned. Found to be in proper working order. The issue was in the cassette mechanism. Fixed that so the power switch button/cap was reinstalled. Then the bypass power switch installed by Joe was removed from the system and wiring restored using new heavy guage cables.

#14 blu_fuz

blu_fuz
  • Moderators
  • 10,098 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 20 June 2010 - 07:26 AM

Fantastic pictures Norm, that's what I wanted to see!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Now I can do this :breakdance: , and this: :drool: and probably this: :dj-party: and then have some of these: :beer2: then do some of this: :rock: and after I do more of this: :beer2: I will proabably do this: :sick: !

Hahaha - send me all the pictures you have to ***** whenever you can. Thanks!

#15 monchito

monchito
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,599 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 07:34 AM

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :super: :super: :super: :super: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :clap: :hooray: :hooray: :hooray:

#16 Fatdog

Fatdog
  • Administrators
  • 9,808 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:47 AM

Stickied. :-)

#17 Strānj-Bōōmbŏks

Strānj-Bōōmbŏks
  • Members
  • 1,928 posts
  • LocationSantiago de los Caballeros de Mérida, Venezuela

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:44 AM

Looooooooove that ANACONDA red wire picture!!! It's just so 3D!!! Awesome job... I'll PM you about a question I have with my Riviera PST-1010

#18 Gluecifer

Gluecifer
  • Moderators
  • 3,561 posts
  • LocationBelmont, Australia

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:26 AM

Geezum crow!! What incredible work! You've outshined even yourself Norm!

Thanks very much for the pic of the belt placement too! Mines confounded me
since day one and only had one deck running.

I'll be able to remedy that situation now!

Rock On.

#19 blu_fuz

blu_fuz
  • Moderators
  • 10,098 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:30 AM

This is so exciting I just can't contain myself! :w00t: . Glad to hear it helped you out too Glu!

The quote from you in my signature now stands true. Without this place, and the members, who knows what would have happened to this Dynasty Wheely. :hmmm:

This will be with me forever. Passed down to the next generation perhaps. I know it is just a boombox, but it is the BIGGEST boombox!

#20 Superduper

Superduper
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 6,165 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:01 AM

.....................I know it is just a boombox, but it is the BIGGEST boombox!

Conspicuous consumption to the extreme.

#21 jaetee

jaetee
  • Members
  • 2,034 posts
  • LocationFlorida's West Coast

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:29 AM

AWESOME!!!!!!!

#22 hemiguy2006

hemiguy2006
  • Members
  • 2,288 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:20 AM

Congrats Blu This has been a long time coming for you!!!!
oh BTW when you spew dont do it on the Dynasty!! :lol:

#23 Fatdog

Fatdog
  • Administrators
  • 9,808 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:26 AM

oh BTW when you spew dont do it on the Dynasty!! :lol:

This is Blu we're talking about - not Rimmer. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#24 hemiguy2006

hemiguy2006
  • Members
  • 2,288 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:34 AM

We need a smiley that :sick: :sick: :newyear: :drunk: :beer2: :sick: :sick: pukes on M-90's

#25 blu_fuz

blu_fuz
  • Moderators
  • 10,098 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:45 AM

A "puke on M90" smiley would be kick ass! hahahhaha.

hemiguy2006, you're right - this has been a long time coming for me. I think I have had this boombox for 3 years now and have never enjoyed it to the fullest. This is a monumental moment for me. Small potatoes to probably most "normal" people, but there will be days I will just sit and listen to the Dynasty.

First project for when it returns is to put the dynamat sound deadening material inside the box to help project the sound out the front and reduce the rattles. This big black boomer isn't built like the silver boxes, so I have to help it out a little ;-) so it can also sound/play like the biggest one piece production boombox it is .

#26 monchito

monchito
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,599 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:51 AM

We need a smiley that :sick: :sick: :newyear: :drunk: :beer2: :sick: :sick: pukes on M-90's

Posted Image you mean this lol

#27 hemiguy2006

hemiguy2006
  • Members
  • 2,288 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:05 AM

Monchito now we need the box for it !!!
Fuz When I had mine I put some thick poly foam backing behind the woofers.
It helped out a lot.
Didnt stop the cabinet rattles though.
Let us know if the dynamat helps with that.
As well, great Job Norm it looks real good in there now.
I bet it performs like a champ!!

#28 Superduper

Superduper
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 6,165 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:48 PM

It gets really loud! But the speakers, especially the left one farts a little when played really loud with the bass cranked up all the way. So rather than change those woofs, the simplest solution is........ don't do that. :lol: :lol: I got it parked next to the C100 and as desirable as the C100 is, this Dynasty is far far more attractive looking -- I don't really like big black empty boxes but I can definitely see how people can fall in love with these Wheelys.

#29 blu_fuz

blu_fuz
  • Moderators
  • 10,098 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:37 PM

I didn't even have to pay exra for the farts :thumbsup: !!!!!

Thanks for the freeeeebeeeee ;-) . I will keep the bass down as often as possible :angelic: .

I have often wondered what people thought of the C-100F vs the Wheely. They probably sound similar. The C100 looks busier and looks to have a few extra features. I know the Wheely has 10" woofers but what does the conion have?

Post a pic side by side if you can.

#30 blu_fuz

blu_fuz
  • Moderators
  • 10,098 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:43 PM

I just realized something...... remember how you said there were no screws for the voltage selector switch?

I thought at first, all the screws were put in the holes they came from on the inside of the box..... :huh: Oh well, maybe they fell out....

I see in your pics that you installed it in a different spot and my screws are still in place with no switch :lol: .

Maybe you can switch the volt selector back to the battery compartment and put my new switch for the LEDs into the spot that faces out the back of the box :thumbsup: . You wouldn't even be able to tell it was added!

See the two screws on the right side of your picture?
Posted Image

Here is the original:
Posted Image