Lasonic TRC-918 full tear down & clean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Here is the full tear down and cleaning of a Lasonic TRC-918 that I received last week in the mail. I do have some more work to do too this box. It needs new tweeters (on the way) and the cassette needs new blets. The good news is, this came with out the cassette working and the cassette door stuck shut. The cassette door now opens and it now plays tapes like a champion! It does need new belts as they slip on fast forward and reverse. The biggest issues with this box is the tuning dial has the numbers scratched off in the middle and the plastic chrome is showing it's age. I will keep my eyes open for a new tuning dial, but I'm not that hurt over it.

On the flip side, the sound quality is GREAT (with the exception of the crackling tweeters)

What I started with....This box wasn't that bad in terms of exterior dirt and grime. It looked about normal for it's age.

The controls all had some filth in the recesses as expected.

The back has that typical Lasonic "Cooked Look". I may consider a repaint of the back down the line.

The inside how ever was filthy. I think someone spilled a soda inside the back....don't ask me how, but the amp board was sticky slimy as was the bottom of the box. many of the screws were sticky (at least I hope it was soda ewwww :sick: )

Here you can really see the sticky goo.

Here with the box mostly gutted the simplicity shows. The only issue with parts inside this box is the tuner lights. They didn't give much wire, so I had to be careful not to break the solder joints. They should have used a plug for that connection!

How ever, the nice part is Lasonic mounted all the PC boards to a solid "Chassis", so I only had to pull 8 screws and all the internals came right out. Cassette and all.

It's a fairly simple package.

Just down to the speakers now!

The speaker grills on this radio have nominal dents, but if your familiar with the TRC-918 you'll know that the grills are not flat. The have a raised ring on the side with the center recessed. Another "Looks Cool, but sucks in real life" design! They were a bitch to straighten and have to admit I only was able to do a so so job. Thankfully, they are not obvious!

Here they are after I pounded them out

Both speakers were filled with dirt, dust and grime with some soda (I'm hoping) splattered on them. Obviously the downside of white speakers.

Almost ready for a wash.

You can see here the wear on the chrome. This is apparent on most of the chrome on this box.

OK, ready for the sink and some soap!

Here is a good shot of the "Mystery" goo in the bottom of the box. It really wasn't that bad as I washed right out with warm water.

OK, NOW it's ready for the sink and some soap!

Right away things start looking better. With a quick wipe of the sponge and the dirt in the crevices washes away reveling a nicer clean case.

No more goo / soda / ??. Looks OK to touch now!

The face is looking MUCH better as well. BTW, I did not take the cassette door off, because I believe the clips or screws are behind the chrome sticker on the face. I was able to clean around it, I didn't want to risk tearing something up. Not the smartest design though!

The control panel looks decent with out all the dirt in the crevices.

Here it is with the speaker grills back in place after the washing. In this picture you can see the grill design. They always look better without dents!!!

The inner's needed a cleaning as well. They were grimy and dusty. I cleaned the switches and wiped everything down.

Here we have the cleaned speakers back in. There was still some soda on the white paper of the speaker. You can also see the scratch on the tuner numbers. If anyone has a spare tuner dial, I'm interested!

VU Meter cover back in place

Grills remounted. It's starting to look like a radio again!

Here is something interesting. In this picture, you can see the 4 switches for the tuner. The two with button tops on them are the AM and FM. The other two are not used. There is no SW1 or SW2 on this radio. But it appears to have been "pre-wired" in some way or another. Does anyone have a TRC-918 with SW on it? There is also no cut out in the top for these switches.

Things are getting back together now. Again, the only thing I had to wrestle with was the tuner lights due to a short wire lead. Other than that, the whole chassis drops right in.

Tweeter grills back on, the front is assembled, the insides in place, ready for testing.

There it is....CLEAN!
Test Functions....Cassette: CHECK, Radio: CHECK, Stereo: CHECK, Stereo Wide: CHECK, Works while plugged in: CHECK, Works on Batteries: CHECK, Line In: CHECK, Balance / Treble / Bass: CHECK, Volume: CHECK, Mix Volume: CHECK, LED VU Meters: CHECK

So, other than the scratched tuning dial, the warn chrome, the need for new belts and some replacement tweeters. This radio ROCKS! No it's not a flawless gem. I knew that when I bought it. It was advertised as a "Take To The Beach Box". HELL YEAH IT IS! I have no problem tossing this radio in the back of the car and heading to a picnic with out the fear of someone knocking into it. It's VERY LOUD. I'm really looking forward to the new tweeters. The sound quality is right in line with my TRC-920. This has 5 inch speakers where the TRC-920 has 6 inch speakers. But it has a good matched amplifier for the speaker size and those things MOVE some air! Over all, I'm very happy with this radio and very happy to have the cassette deck working!
(Oh Yeah, Playing a Cassette)

monchito

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
pythonville florida
yes i have the sw also on mine plus a loudness switch which on your model does not have,,, i belive now there were several models of the trc-918 family ,,, great job :drool: :drool: :drool:

the one to the left is iras 918 and the one to the right is mine.. these are some real loud boxes :w00t: :w00t: :yes:

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
MasterBlaster84 said:
Awesome job on an a great box.

Here's a pic of mine with the SW bands and extra buttons, it needs a thorough cleaning like yours plus a couple of parts.
[ Image ]
Very interesting....Thanks for the pictures guys....I see that these also had a light switch on them. The tuner dial is closer to the TRC-920 in it's scheme and lay out. I like this box allot! So with the two in the picture above, both with different tweeter covers, yet the same tuner AND mine with it's unique tuner....that's at least 3 different models right there. I wonder how many there were. What year's were these made?

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
redbenjoe said:
super big job !!!

glad to learn that we have so many 918 fans :thumbsup: :yes: :thumbsup:
Once I get the new tweeters in this box and belts, I can see myself using it regularly. I am a fan of this radio for sure!

JVC Floyd said:
my trc 918 has a date code sticker that reads november 12 1982.
Where is that sticker at? I'm interested to know when mine was built.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
redbenjoe said:
super big job !!!

glad to learn that we have so many 918 fans :thumbsup: :yes: :thumbsup:
Once I get the new tweeters in this box and belts, I can see myself using it regularly. I am a fan of this radio for sure!

JVC Floyd said:
my trc 918 has a date code sticker that reads november 12 1982.
Where is that sticker at? I'm interested to know when mine was built.
the stickers are inside the battery compartment and easy to see on mine ,your 918 is the newer model so i would say it was made after 1982.

Jason1976

Member (SA)
Jun 6, 2010
I see you say you need new tweeters. Check the capasitors to make sure they are not bad. I had a box i thought my tweeters were bad ( wasn't get any sound from them) and here i just needed new capacitors.

Jovie

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Thank you so much for the detailed tear down. I'm needing to go inside mine also as I don't get stereo from the tuner.Mine is like Masterblaster's and has SW1SW2 also. The 918 is a very unique sounding box.Though the woofers do move some air,they're just not big enough to give it a bottom end weighted sound.Admittedly though this model has an abundance of highs for them to compete with! One thing I've noticed is that the 918 seems to highlight and differentiate the varying types of guitar sounds.To my ears It is definitely a rock box and one of the best at it !

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Jovie said:
Thank you so much for the detailed tear down. I'm needing to go inside mine also as I don't get stereo from the tuner.Mine is like Masterblaster's and has SW1SW2 also. The 918 is a very unique sounding box.Though the woofers do move some air,they're just not big enough to give it a bottom end weighted sound.Admittedly though this model has an abundance of highs for them to compete with! One thing I've noticed is that the 918 seems to highlight and differentiate the varying types of guitar sounds.To my ears It is definitely a rock box and one of the best at it !
I do agree on all points you made. I listen to Rock and Metal so this is a good sounding box for that. The speakers do move ALLOT, but I agree, at just 5 inches, the don't move enough to deliver the good's for Rap or Funk. When I get my new tweeters I will feel better about cranking it up!

Gluecifer said:
Wow, that's a wonderfully thorough job there, Chris!

Well worth spending the effort on such a deserving blaster.

Congratulations, rocker!

Rock On.
Thanks man, another fun box to blast and carry out!

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Rimmer36 said:
Thats tallent right there for sombody who hasnt been collecting long Balls of steel well done
Thanks man, true I haven't been collecting long, but back in the day, I used to open up my TRC-920 to work on it, clean it, tinker with it. When I first got another 920 a few years ago, I was surprised I still remembered how it came apart.

As for Balls of Steel, we'll see when I finally get the B o' S to open and gut my GF-777! :-O

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
Rimmer36 said:
Thats tallent right there for sombody who hasnt been collecting long Balls of steel well done
Thanks man, true I haven't been collecting long, but back in the day, I used to open up my TRC-920 to work on it, clean it, tinker with it. When I first got another 920 a few years ago, I was surprised I still remembered how it came apart.

As for Balls of Steel, we'll see when I finally get the B o' S to open and gut my GF-777! :-O
A 777 is a pita dude but im sure there are threads documenting it and fatdog has the service manual on here...... with all the picks and documentation it makes it alot eisier dude, i wont say what happned on my first tear down of a gf 1000 needless to say a TOTAL feck up :lol:

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Rimmer36 said:
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
Rimmer36 said:

A 777 is a pita dude but im sure there are threads documenting it and fatdog has the service manual on here...... with all the picks and documentation it makes it alot eisier dude, i wont say what happned on my first tear down of a gf 1000 needless to say a TOTAL feck up :lol:
Oh man, I was hoping you would have written some words of encouragement! I have taken the back off to have a look inside, I also downloaded that service manual and looked through it. It is a mess in there. That's why I am working on these simpler and cheaper boxes before I F up a grail! But the 777 needs belts and deck heads, so I'm going in whether I like it or not! I might do some body work and a repaint on that as well, Bring it back to perfect (only so I can f it up again! :lol: )

Status
Not open for further replies.