• This topic is locked This topic is locked
49 replies to this topic

#31 jaetee

jaetee
  • Members (SA)
  • 2,046 posts
  • LocationFlorida's West Coast

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:24 AM

Great job with all the boxes and the videos!!!!

Now, from a DJ's perspective.... based on the lineup you had on the flyer.... I must ask how you it went with the music for the night??? Who played what and when??? And how late did the party go? :lol:

Plus, it looks like you had all the boomboxes playing FM (I saw a lot of FM-Stereo lights in the vids). I assume you were broadcasting FM, maybe from the DJ booth / instrument area perhaps?

If so, can you share what FM transmitter you were using? And what it was plugged into, and how far away you had it from the music source???

Sorry for all the questions, but we had some problems with this at our meet with a cheapo Chinese FM transmitter last time... so I'm really curious how well yours worked and if there were any challenges... (assuming you used one, of course...)

Also, was there ever a crowd of people in there hangin' out and dancing at all? :dj-party:

And finally, one last thought.... how cool would it be if f some of your acts recorded their performances and we put that up on the site's online boombox??? :-D

Can you tell I wish I was there!!!!??? :yes:

Thanks again for all of the pics and vids!!!! Really great stuff!!!

#32 Blasterpunk

Blasterpunk
  • Members (SA)
  • 490 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:47 AM

Dessau Newspaper from yesterday :thumbsup: AK74 is gettin famous more and more....

Posted Image

#33 Fresh_Bacon

Fresh_Bacon
  • Members (SA)
  • 257 posts
  • LocationGermany/Düsseldorf

Posted 02 June 2010 - 11:10 AM

Gut geschriebener Artikel.... :thumbsup:

#34 Master Z

Master Z
  • Members (SA)
  • 1,225 posts
  • LocationToledo, OH!

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:12 PM

How bout a translation if somebody's got the time!?!?!

:-)

#35 mmcodomino

mmcodomino
  • Members (SA)
  • 1,999 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 02 June 2010 - 01:49 PM

Super Artikel :-D !
Und Respekt Peter! Ich dachte nicht, dass du schon 44 bist :lol: .
Und André hat so recht! Die CD-Eier von heute sind der letzte Dreck! Und von der Kassette hört sich Musik gleich doppelt so gut an :yes: .

Echt cooles Treffen! Let's do it again :thumbsup: !

#36 AK74

AK74
  • Members (SA)
  • 227 posts
  • LocationGermany/Dresden

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:04 PM

The Transmitter: Posted Image
Music Source was my ipod but later we connect the transmitter on the dj-set and so we can hear the music outside too

Heiko was a member from S2G i think his name was heiko_blue....he lives in france

Magic Mayer is one of my favourites at this evening

#37 jaetee

jaetee
  • Members (SA)
  • 2,046 posts
  • LocationFlorida's West Coast

Posted 03 June 2010 - 07:44 AM

Posted Image

How bout a translation if somebody's got the time!?!?!

From the English perspective, the German writing style is filled with run-on sentences with lots of extra descriptive words. It's a much more challenging language in that regard than English and by our standards a word for word translation would sound extremely half-assed-backwards. Trust me on this...

So, here's my summary, not so much a direct translation...

The first column and a half is more of an introduction and profile of Emky's experience there... He was one of the DJ's / taggers. It describes him as a self-employed promoter who plays Electro-Funk music and likes to do some tagging on the side for fun... And the author makes references to taggers as the "fear of all homeowners" and such... and about how people in this youth scene (and the Hip Hop scene in general) are generally more motivated by expressing themselves and simply having some fun, rather than any kind of political views or agenda. It mentions how the purpose of the meet was to put something together that would get like-minded people together who would normally not meet. It said that Marco (aka: Emky) was one of roughly 40 young men in attendance from places such as Hannover, Berlin & Leipzig (furthest cities mentioned) and it was a private gathering that took place in a former electric motor factory in the industrial part of town and quotes Marco saying that he had to beautify the walls of the old factory first, then he would go check out the "oldschoolers" so he can get more of an idea of what hip-hop culture was all about (or what it was like) back in the 80's. It is interesting that this first known meeting of this kind is taking place in the former East Germany.

It quotes Peter (Blasterpunk) as saying "actually we just wanted to have a private gathering amongst ourselves so we could show each other our ghettoblasters. There are six collectors here who brought roughly 30 boomboxes." Here is where the article also mentions a boombox collector traveling from France (Heiko, I presume).

The end of the 2nd column then kind of changes direction and mentions that as graffiti was being spayed on the walls there, the writer could hear some 20 ghettoblasters (with a combined age of a several centuries) pumping out a strong droning sound around front... followed by a quote from a 21 year old kid named Andre (AK74) who adds "we are using an FM transmitter to syncronize the boomboxes. The sound is much better than you'd get from today's CD-Eggs that you find in any hardware store... I still listen to cassettes and vinyl records too. You have to take the time to listen to the music." The author further explains that Andre' doesn't think much of mega gigabytes of music downloaded and saved to a hard drive somewhere... "We want to remember how things were back in the day"

Finally, it wraps up giving 44 year old Peter the credit as the chief organizer and how this meet was a dive back into his own youth. "the 80's were a time when I was younger (read more innocent) and Hip Hop culture in general was more honest (or "real") than it seems today"

The end.....

Please keep in mind that my quotes above are paraphrasing what I thought the speaker was really trying to say, not an exact word-for-word translation. Peter, feel free to step in and let me know if I misquoted you, Marco or Andre.

There was no mention of Boomboxery or S2G and the hundreds of worldwide blast-aficionados that were sitting in front of monitors and keyboards all around the world waiting for pics and videos of the event!!!! :lol:

:-D

#38 Master Z

Master Z
  • Members (SA)
  • 1,225 posts
  • LocationToledo, OH!

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:09 AM

Thanks JT!

;-)

#39 redbenjoe

redbenjoe

I Am Legend

• Eternal Order of Boom
  • 17,995 posts
  • Locationflorida

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:25 AM

Thanks JT!

;-)

:agree: :-) :-)

#40 Blasterpunk

Blasterpunk
  • Members (SA)
  • 490 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 02:04 PM

Thanks JT!

;-)

Yes, Thanks JT !!! :thumbsup:

#41 ClaretBadger

ClaretBadger
  • Members (SA)
  • 1,175 posts
  • LocationThe Lone Star state

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:56 AM

that shite looks dope

#42 MONOLITHIC

MONOLITHIC

No Longer Active

• Members (SA)
  • 2,677 posts
  • LocationIlladelph, East Coast

Posted 05 June 2010 - 04:58 AM

Great... EVERYTHING, fellas! :thumbsup: Y'all even got an article in the newspaper! :cool:

You Florida meet guys should be ashamed of yourselves! :thumbsdown: :lol:

#43 Fatdog

Fatdog
  • Administrators
  • 10,806 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee, U.S.A.

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:51 AM

Great... EVERYTHING, fellas! :thumbsup: Y'all even got an article in the newspaper! :cool:

You Florida meet guys should be ashamed of yourselves! :thumbsdown: :lol:

We definitely have to plan on the next meet being bigger and better. :yes:

#44 Gluecifer

Gluecifer
  • Members (SA)
  • 3,599 posts
  • LocationBelmont, Australia

Posted 06 June 2010 - 05:14 PM

Wow!!

Great seeing everyone together, phenomonal!!

Love your work, brothers!

Rock On.

#45 hemiguy2006

hemiguy2006
  • Members (SA)
  • 2,306 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:35 PM

WOW Awesome meet !!!!
You guys had a ton of great blasters and a great display area as well.
Love the cobra mercury !!!
Props on a successful gathering , you guys have totally embraced all that is 80's at your event. :thumbsup:

#46 mellymelsr

mellymelsr
  • Members (SA)
  • 2,174 posts
  • LocationNorthern Cali

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:30 PM

I don't know how I missed this thread...that was the perfect spot for a boombox meeting. Open space, outdoors, graffiti art...and some bad a$$ boomboxes. Good stuff... :thumbsup:

#47 walkgirl

walkgirl
  • Members (SA)
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHolland

Posted 10 October 2010 - 03:23 AM

I never didi see this topic! : :blush:

Looks very kool! :-D

I only miss some walkmans :huh: :sin:

#48 beatbox

beatbox
  • Members (SA)
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 03:06 AM

Wow, amazing. Well done guys!!!!! Will definitely have to make it to the next one. Thanks for sharing these cool times!

:drool: :drool: :yes: :-D :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

#49 unfunrecords

unfunrecords
  • Members
  • 10 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 30 March 2011 - 01:13 PM

Now i have more reasons to head out to germany

#50 staplegun

staplegun
  • Members (SA)
  • 162 posts