apm speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superduper

Member (SA)
Wow. Sorry. I thought that if you needed some speakers for the smaller sony APM's then I might have a pair I could sell to you.

But those bigger ones -- hard to get someone to part out those, especially the APM's.

I have a pair of speakers for the FH-7 that might fit, but won't look exactly the same. PM me if you are interested. They are not APM's but in my opinion, the non-APM's sound better than the APM's anyhow.

nz boom

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2010
i already have a set of fh-7 mk2 thay are smaller. but i had a cunning plan to put pva glue round the hole foam .it soaks in and bonds the foam.but is still flexible. i have done one and its holding at half volume.i will let you no how it gos thanks for the offer :thumbsup:

Superduper

Member (SA)
I saw that japanese procedure but I am quite skeptical about the results beyond just having something installed. Chamois isn't going to be nearly as flexible as the original stuff and the chamois was starched to keep the 1/2 rolled shape. Ever dried a car with a chamois and see what happens to the chamois when it dries? AND it wasn't even starched! The speakers that were refoamed are higher quality speakers than these boombox ones that could take higher power too. I just think that there has got to be a better way using better suited material.

Gluecifer

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Belmont, Australia
Heya Nz Boom! I've used that PVA trick on one of my VZ-3000 speakers (vertical turntable Sharp home stereo) that cracked it's foam when cranking some dub on her a bit too hard. It held perfectly, and still is. I just covered the cracks on the front, but I think if you took the speaker out and put a nice thick coat over the front and back
of the surround it'd last for a LONG time! By rights, if you cover all the weakpoints on both sides it shouldn't begin to crack anywhere else.

Not sure at super high volume though.

Should be a good soloution for foams that are just on their way out but haven't started turning to dust yet.
At least until a better solution is found.

Rock On.

sony_apm_fan

Member (SA)
Apr 8, 2010
Australia
Superduper said:
I saw that japanese procedure but I am quite skeptical about the results beyond just having something installed. Chamois isn't going to be nearly as flexible as the original stuff and the chamois was starched to keep the 1/2 rolled shape. Ever dried a car with a chamois and see what happens to the chamois when it dries? AND it wasn't even starched! The speakers that were refoamed are higher quality speakers than these boombox ones that could take higher power too. I just think that there has got to be a better way using better suited material.
:agree:

Superduper, have to agree with you here.
It was just a starting point, but yes, chamois is not a long term fix. :sad:

nz boom

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2010
you must of read my mind i have already done that as well grate minds think a like :lol:
Gluecifer said:
Heya Nz Boom! I've used that PVA trick on one of my VZ-3000 speakers (vertical turntable Sharp home stereo) that cracked it's foam when cranking some dub on her a bit too hard. It held perfectly, and still is. I just covered the cracks on the front, but I think if you took the speaker out and put a nice thick coat over the front and back
of the surround it'd last for a LONG time! By rights, if you cover all the weakpoints on both sides it shouldn't begin to crack anywhere else.

Not sure at super high volume though.

Should be a good soloution for foams that are just on their way out but haven't started turning to dust yet.
At least until a better solution is found.

Rock On.

sony_apm_fan

Member (SA)
Apr 8, 2010
Australia
nz boom said:
but this will be a problem in the future for all of us :sad:
Yes, this is a true point. :-/
Just opened a box last night and the main belt had become a gooey black resin....all foam had turned to dust :sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.