JAytee`s categorization grading ----. GrEaT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiwa

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
In the 2010 meeting thread Jaytee made up categorization suggestions.
Now thats very interesting!
Excellent job!

"Categorization is the process in which ideas and objects are recognized, differentiated and understood. Categorization implies that objects are grouped into categories, usually for some specific purpose. Ideally, a category illuminates a relationship between the subjects and objects of knowledge".(wik)

Jaytee categorized like this:
A) mini one piece
B) mid-size one piece
C) large one piece
D) mini three piece
E) mid-size three piece
F) large three piece
G) Modified boxes (any mods on the box, you end up here)

Great classification Jaytee!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(((- just for comparism
here about the bbdb classification.

(The BBDB purpose is quite different,
and so there are several more
modi quaero /search methods to identify units,also the content includes more types),
just a few index reqests for this theme:

1) midsize stereo corresponding to A) mini one piece
2) fullsize/1 piece - like the tpr950
3) fullsize+/big 1piece from crown sz 5100 to conion c100
4) personal size stereo like th qt50
5) mono boxes with 5 keys
6) mono boxes with 6 keys
7) personal size mono
8) cassette alone units with 4 keys
9) cassette alone units with 5
10)cassette alone units with 6
11) boxes with detachable speakers
12)mono desktop units(like mono tv cassettes)

to get proper results ,meanhile the cross reference index includes more than 100 keywords.)))

jaetee

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Florida's West Coast
Thanks for the mention, Jens!

Yea, I just realized I left off the Mono boxes.... To my defense, We did not have any mono's competing in our blast-off at either of the last two meets.

If we did have that as a category, the RC-550JW would win. So its a no-brainer!

I would actually add that one into the large category, with its 10" woofer and all! Plus, they're pretty darn loud, too!

oldskool69

Staff member
May 5, 2009
'Bama!!! Deep In Da' Heart O' Dixie
John is a smart cookie. I haven't responded to the meet rules yet but that is forthcoming. As always, I want to make a quality post where it counts so reserving thought for a moment while doing some in house comparo to "pro" and "con" before responding. :hmmm: :-)

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
ahardb0dy said:
how about overpowering one with some M-80's???
Hi tony-I still actually have a couple but they are kind of loud-just a little!
I was thinking of somebody bringing their home amp and we could be a little cruel and see how the speakers hold up!
BUT if it's a Coby-then the sky's the limit!!
Have a good one-GB. :-) :-D :'-( :-P :ninja:

Jovie

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
I say we have an Egg category to give credit to worthy surprises.We could give the owner of the winning box the "Golden Egg" award :-D

I also think we need GF9696's son at the next meet to breakdance for us :afro: .Breakdancing was such an integral part of the boomboxes history that it should be represented.It would also add some extra life and entertainment to the meets. :cool:

jaetee

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Florida's West Coast
:sadno: so, we're going to legitimize eggs, eh? :lol:

I guess if they have batteries and a handle, then they should qualify for something.

:hmmm: If there's a "golden egg" then there should be a "rotten egg" and a "hard-boiled egg" category. For that matter, we can also add a "soft-boiled" and "pickled" egg category, too! And if we destroy one due to overloading, we can call it a "fried egg!" :lol: :lol:

I do seem to remember a Panasonic RX-DT707 getting some airtime at the last meeting. While they sound quite nice (I like mine) they can't compete volume-wise with the likes of many others that we heard...

Jovie

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
:lol: I like that idea about 'rotten","fried",etc!That would be quite funny! :lol:

I'd welcome someone to the forum who had a liking for egg boxes.As long as it fits the description of a boombox by definition,it should be inclusive.If it would be supported as a class by enough attending members is a very relevant consideration,however.Many of us like boxes based on higher levels of performance or a particular style,weight,etc.There are those that don't like the lighter weight boxes of the late '80s as they are not as powerful or well built as the earlier models.Some only like the lighter weight glitzy street boxes.Others think they're trash.Some like both.There are others that like '90s boxes.

If a person brings a '90s box to a meet,he will see the older,louder,and heavier boxes.Though he sees and recognizes these attributes,it doesn't mean they are as important to him as they are to others.Another brings his egg.He will undoubtedly be told it won't stand up to someone elses older classic box in a variety of ways.This person would probably reply,"I know all of that.I wouldn't expect it to" .Will this really make him like his egg less?Perhaps he likes lower volumes or isn't as discriminating about sound issues.His box serves him with the defining functions of a boombox and he likes it.That doesn't change.

We have to be careful not to assume others view things as we do ourselves.Let's face the fact that it's often our conditioning in life and what we grew up around that shapes our likes and interests.After all,they're only boomboxes.Many audiophiles would laugh at even the most highly sought after blasters.My new TRC-935 has "High fidelity" written on each of it's speakers square grill panels.Is there anything more absurd than that?A high end audio freak might be embarrassed to tears to be seen with such a thing.I happen to love this box as many other here do also.

Some of us have broad interests when it comes to boxes and,yes,this can even include eggs.I have a particular Phillips Egg that is pretty sleek with killer styling.I know it's not as good as box "X" or box "Y" but I still like it.If there's anything I don't like it's an elitist attitude when it comes to anything.This is an easy thing for anyone (myself included) to slip into for those with strong opinions. I'm just the type who feels I need to respect the fact others view things differently.

Our happiness in life has a lot to do with our perception.If every color seemed as beautiful as my favorite color,I'd be better off.If I could share the excitement everyone does about everything they like,I 'd be better off. You ,myself,and everyone else here as people are really what it's about.After all,it's what they mean to us personally ,sharing this,and how it brings us together that is most important.

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
Jovie said:
:lol: I like that idea about 'rotten","fried",etc!That would be quite funny! :lol:

I'd welcome someone to the forum who had a liking for egg boxes.As long as it fits the description of a boombox by definition,it should be inclusive.If it would be supported as a class by enough attending members is a very relevant consideration,however.Many of us like boxes based on higher levels of performance or a particular style,weight,etc.There are those that don't like the lighter weight boxes of the late '80s as they are not as powerful or well built as the earlier models.Some only like the lighter weight glitzy street boxes.Others think they're trash.Some like both.There are others that like '90s boxes.

If a person brings a '90s box to a meet,he will see the older,louder,and heavier boxes.Though he sees and recognizes these attributes,it doesn't mean they are as important to him as they are to others.Another brings his egg.He will undoubtedly be told it won't stand up to someone elses older classic box in a variety of ways.This person would probably reply,"I know all of that.I wouldn't expect it to" .Will this really make him like his egg less?Perhaps he likes lower volumes or isn't as discriminating about sound issues.His box serves him with the defining functions of a boombox and he likes it.That doesn't change.

We have to be careful not to assume others view things as we do ourselves.Let's face the fact that it's often our conditioning in life and what we grew up around that shapes our likes and interests.After all,they're only boomboxes.Many audiophiles would laugh at even the most highly sought after blasters.My new TRC-935 has "High fidelity" written on each of it's speakers square grill panels.Is there anything more absurd than that?A high end audio freak might be embarrassed to tears to be seen with such a thing.I happen to love this box as many other here do also.

Some of us have broad interests when it comes to boxes and,yes,this can even include eggs.I have a particular Phillips Egg that is pretty sleek with killer styling.I know it's not as good as box "X" or box "Y" but I still like it.If there's anything I don't like it's an elitist attitude when it comes to anything.This is an easy thing for anyone (myself included) to slip into for those with strong opinions. I'm just the type who feels I need to respect the fact others view things differently.

Our happiness in life has a lot to do with our perception.If every color seemed as beautiful as my favorite color,I'd be better off.If I could share the excitement everyone does about everything they like,I 'd be better off. You ,myself,and everyone else here as people are really what it's about.After all,it's what they mean to us personally ,sharing this,and how it brings us together that is most important.
Well said Jovie-But I have to say for the majority on this website-Eggs are fair game!!
Most of us here just don't have many and if we do we know their not as good as the "old stuff"!
We like to critisize eggs becuase of their unusual shape and odor!! :-P
I guess some of us just don't have anything else and when it comes to that-then that's where we should resect that person for their collecting and not the egg.
But I do feel I speak for the majority that eggs are fair game here and at a competition-well let's just say we could have an egg contest and the 707 or 909 might win for sure.
But again I'm going to speak for myself here and this is my opinion -they're both but ugly torpedo shaped eggs but they do have killer sound-but match-em up to my DT680 and I'll blow them away!!
I'm an old school collector and eggs have their place as long as it's or on the stove!!
Just kidding-This is a good one.
Have a great week-GB. :-) :-D :lol: :sadno: :agree: :ninja: :choco:

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
just for jollies :-)

we could have a POS category ::
like boxes where NOTHING works --except the line-in- :-O

missing plenty of knobs , covers , trims etc - : :surf:
a handle would be a penalty -- :thumbsdown:
antennas illegal :police:

....... like that
:dunce: :sin: :-)

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
redbenjoe said:
just for jollies :-)

we could have a POS category ::
like boxes where NOTHING works --except the line-in- :-O

missing plenty of knobs , covers , trims etc - : :surf:
a handle would be a penalty -- :thumbsdown:
antennas illegal :police:

....... like that
:dunce: :sin: :-)

Hi Ira-not a bad idea and the winer's boomer could be dealt with sternly! :-O
How about your infamous "Woodie Category" where the boombox is made of wood!
You probably have the winner then!!
I think I saw the one with e si,ulated wood grain sides but whast about a pure wood boomer??
Oh well just some crazy ideas!
Have a good one--GB. :lol: :-)

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
Hi Ira-You mean the Deadly "Doomer"!!
I heard that there is no box that can match up to this!
When I see the photos I get scared!! :-O
Like to all other boomer owners-just don't even try if he show's up!!
Am I right Ira??
I love that thing-I want to hear it.
Let's see some more photos!!
Wow-like he said then there his category will be won-period!!
Have a great night-GB. :-) :-D :-O :-O :ninja: :choco: :yes:

jaetee

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Florida's West Coast
Jovie said:
Yea, it's the differences in us all, and our varying tastes that make us interesting. Imagine how boring it would be if we did not have favorite colors and were all into the same things with the same vigor.

My "egg" post was meant as a joke.

I own a Panasonic RX-DT707 and love it. But, its more of turd shape than an egg, though... :-D
And I might be buying another egg for my son's room. My wife says the turd box (and I mean that in the most endearing way) is too big, and we will need something that will play CDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.