big ben in line mystery...

Status
Not open for further replies.

blah blah

Member (SA)
May 8, 2009
deep fluffy powdercountry
my big ben is up to some tricks when using the in line. With the radio mono, stereo, and stereo wide works fine, with in line it will only work in mono, Switch to stereo and the left side is dead. Deck is dead so can't test right now. I cleaned the phono/ in line switch, it was nasty and i ended up removing it and soldering in into the line position as tiny copper sliders were trashed. Pulled the board and it looked fine, Cleaned the pots and selector switches like hell. Still no luck. Any thoughts?

blah blah

Member (SA)
May 8, 2009
Norm I did bridge both poles into the positions that the copper clips would have bridged if installed. The copper clips fit into pockets so I could see exactly which pins should be bridged on each side when in the line in position when I took the switch apart.

I may have to take a picture so you can see...but I think it's right.

The headphone jack is dead too but can't figure out how that would affect the line in if they radio still plays in all modes... :hmmm:

Superduper

Member (SA)
blah blah said:
Norm I did bridge both poles into the positions that the copper clips would have bridged if installed. The copper clips fit into pockets so I could see exactly which pins should be bridged on each side when in the line in position when I took the switch apart.

I may have to take a picture so you can see...but I think it's right.

The headphone jack is dead too but can't figure out how that would affect the line in if they radio still plays in all modes... :hmmm:
Tim. Don't get confused and begin combining all the symptoms into one cause. You may have multiple issues. This is a fairly complex boombox. Focus on one issue at a time and you'll be able to work through it all.

Looking at the schematic, it appears that the line/phono switch is a 4-pole switch. S811, S812, S911, S912. It takes a pretty straightforward path to the function selector switch so I'm pretty sure that is the area where you should focus. If you wish, you can bring a jumper directly from line-in jacks to the function selector (through a series resistor) to eliminate any possibility of issues through the switch. This is in regards to your one dead channel issue.

The headphone jack issue. Keep in mind that the speaker output signal takes a circuitous series path through (1) the headphone jack, then (2) speaker jacks, then (3) to the internal speakers. But ONLY the hot positive circuit takes that path. The path back to ground is different in each case. So if your headphones are dead, but your speakers work good, then my intuition is to look at the headphone jack ground connection. Is it busted?

Also, you should know that the headphone jack and speaker jacks also have a built in switch, which is tripped when a plug is inserted.

I would say that a good overall cleaning and closeup inspection (with magnifying glass) of the aforementioned areas are definitely in order.

blah blah

Member (SA)
May 8, 2009
Norm- Thanks, you always have a calming effect on my hurried, frantic repairs.

I will check out as recommended. I definitely think your correct on the ground problem with headphone jack.

I will let you know how she goes...it is a fairly complex box. :-)

monchito

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
pythonville florida
blah blah said:
Norm- Thanks, you always have a calming effect on my hurried, frantic repairs.

I will check out as recommended. I definitely think your correct on the ground problem with headphone jack.

I will let you know how she goes...it is a fairly complex box. :-)

they all are :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: good luck :w00t: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Norm, reading your posts always reminds me of Hedley Lamarr.

If you're familiar with Blazing Saddles, I'm sure you can figure it out. ;-) :-D

blah blah

Member (SA)
May 8, 2009
well got it fixed but not sure exactly which did what... I redid the bridging on line in/phono switch and also took apart and cleaned the headphone jack which was a mess. Working great :thumbsup: line in is banging now... :breakdance: unfortunately broke the headphone jack removing it and spent two frigging hours getting lots of tiny pins almost glued back into position :'-( now i'm afraid to plug the headphones in as might dislodge the tiny copper clips which are in place. man that's a touchy little switch.
I'll just have to pick up one of those easy to find spare big ben headphone jacks :lol: :lol:
thanks for the advice :yes: :yes:

Superduper

Member (SA)
Tim I PREDICT

(1) that the resoldering and more careful attention to the line/phono switch fixed THAT issue

and

(2) the cleaning and attention to the headphone jack fixed THAT issue.

:yes:

One other suggestion. Either remove or disable the phono/line-in switch so that there is no chance it could be set to the phono position while the line-position is shorted.

Also, check out Mouser and see if you can find a replacement 1/4 phone jack.
http://mouser.com/Interconnects/Aud...0yy6bZ1yzvkhb&Keyword=1/4"+jack+phone&FS=True

Also, one of these switches right here might be just the ticket to fix your busted line-in/phono switch.
http://mouser.com/Electromechanical...x?P=1z0z2qm&Keyword=4pdt+slide+switch&FS=True

Status
Not open for further replies.