Rising L.E.D. mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jovie

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Some time ago I heard of an L.E.D. lighting replacement for the Rising 20/20.In fact I believe Fatdog has a 20/20 with such a mod.I'm interested in knowing the particulars as my 20/20 is currently in the shop.I'm hoping Fatdog or anyone else can fill me in on the particulars :-)

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Hey Jovie, there are a few ways you can go about doing the LED mod. When I bought the Rising from S2G member, pabaker, the SRC-2015 didn't have any working dial lights and I couldn't find any bulbs compatible with the originals. :-/

So, I set out to do an LED "upgrade." :thumbsup: The first one I did, I only used single LEDs on each end of the dial, but I upgraded to two LEDs on each side after I saw the difference it made.

When I mounted my LEDs, I used the basic PC board that you can get at Radio Shack and trimmed down pieces to fit. I didn't want to modify any other part of the Rising. It was basically a quick and dirty job just to see what it would look like. Well, it worked out the first time, so I just left it at Q&D. ;-)

The other way to mount the LEDs is to drill holes in the sides of the two black dial "clamps" that screw down. I believe that is how Kittmaster did his and maybe hemiguy2006.

Regardless of your mounting method, you want to try and line up the tips of the LEDs with the white bars on the dial scale.

Here is the circuit diagram for the mod. It has been a while since I've been inside the Rising, but I think this is it.

Here's a shot of the quick and dirty PC board. You can see how it has been trimmed to fit. The curved area is for the screw post.

You can see how the LEDs line up with the white "bars". Because of PC board constraints, I wasn't able to get them perfectly aligned.

Here's a pic of the completed and installed LED boards.

I used the white LEDs in this mod, but others have used blue LEDs. Any color can be used as long as you account for differences in voltage.

Good luck with the mod!!

Jovie

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
fatdog you are :super: .Thanks for caring to be detailed.Now a few NEWB questions.Does this mod simply run off the connection for the original dial lights?If I understand you correctly,other colors besides white require additional modification?If so,what?Also,what specs should I look for when acquiring the LEDs?I've noticed there are a number of different sizes/types for a given color.

eldorado-thanks for your support.Both a Rising version and an International version will be getting the treatment.I'll post pictures if things work out.

mellymelsr-did you do anything differently from what fatdog has presented?If so,what?

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Does this mod simply run off the connection for the original dial lights?
Yes it does.

If I understand you correctly,other colors besides white require additional modification? If so,what?
Other LED colors come in different voltages. For example, red LEDs are often 2.8V. Two of those would only add up to 5.6V and would necessitate the addition of resistors to step down the source voltage. You want to keep the sum voltage per two LED bulbs around 7.2V if I remember correctly.

Also,what specs should I look for when acquiring the LEDs? I've noticed there are a number of different sizes/types for a given color.I would say you probably want to go with 3mm to 5mm LED bulbs. Typical bulbs can be found from 2,000mcd on up to 18,000mcd or more. MCD stand for "millicandela" , which is a unit of light energy. So, the more 'mcd' the brighter. I think the LEDs I got from Radio Shack were about 6,000mcd and work just fine.

mellymelsr

Member (SA)
Sep 11, 2009
Northern Cali
...I was actually lucky enough to purchase mine already done, but I will open her up and take some pics for you...but I would definitely follow FD's advice... :yes:

Jovie

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
I would love to see your lighting kit when you get the chance,mellymelsr.As for FD his output always amazes me here at BBXRY.Alway something up his sleeve.Very comprehensive post and,look at this forum compared to that other older one.The S2go forum looks like an old style internet Bulletin board by comparison.I fully expect something virtual to pop right out of my screen and into my living room at some point in the future. :w00t:

hemiguy2006

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Here are mine and Bobbys together I only used one LED per side but its not as bright.
Just to give an Idea. I wired mine into the existing bulb wiring.
I have to redo my telefunken at some point as all the LEDs i put in it blew out :'-(

Jovie

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Hemiguy - I believe your blue version was the first I saw.Though I tend to like the blue better,I'm going to stick with FDs prescription with white LEDs as he mapped things out pretty well.Of course another option would be for me to pick a third color and use it.Imagine a photo with all three boxes having different colored lighting! I know your not afraid to go under the hood and into your boxes.Im a newb needing heavy guidance.In fact I'm going to try soldering here very shortly...fingers crossed...

It's a shame that the woofers on all of these models all darkened from their original white.That ,with the white LEDs ,would have been really something to see! Maybe I'll have a go at bleaching.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Jovie, you might be able to go with the blue. Usually, blue LEDs will run anywhere from about 3.4V on up to 4.6V.

Jovie said:
It's a shame that the woofers on all of these models all darkened from their original white.That ,with the white LEDs ,would have been really something to see! Maybe I'll have a go at bleaching.
No! No! No! Disregard my old post on S2G about the bleaching technique. Although it worked, the pre-existing stains eventually started to come back. :-/

Here's an old post regarding that:
I was giving my Rising SRC-2015 a regular check-up yesterday and noticed that the old stains that I had bleached had come back. WTH?!

I grabbed my wallet and keys and drove to Wal-Mart and picked up some spray paint. I figured if spray paint is good enough for my GF-777, why not the Rising? I looked around and finally decided on a paint by Krylon:

Krylon Fusion Satin
2422 Satin Dover White

It's not a white white. It has just enough pigment in it to give a really, really light creme color. It went on perfectly and looks SO much better than just a standard white speaker.

NOTE!!!
Krylon Satin Dover White has several different paint codes - the code you want is 2422.

Just remember...

You only want a very, very light coat of paint. :yes: :yes: :yes:

Also, I the cap for Testors decal bonder spray is the perfect diameter to cover the chrome caps on the Rising.

Jovie

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
I managed to get the mod doneThe LEDs I used were 5mm available at Radio Shack..A dremel tool was necessary to cut down the circuit boards.For this I opted to go to a friends shop that has a garage shop of sorts.Though I have a small battery dremel,I wanted all to tools at hand in case I ran into any snags.

With the exception of cutting the boards to fit inside the tuning window end pieces,it was pretty straightforward.The LEDs fit perfectly against the thick internal tuner window with no room to spare.Both my friend and I were really surprised what a difference replacing the dingy amber original bulb on each side with two bright white LEDs per side could really make!The lighting is perfectly even across with only a slight hint of its source at the edges.

My friend is into old arcade games and has restored nine units.Though he loves the '80s,he has only a passing interest in boomboxes. However,after helping me with this mod,he wants my International version of the same box.I'm not sure if I want to give it up though.Its in slightly better physical condition and also works like new.After all,everybody needs one badged as a Rising so you can say you have a Rising.I'm leaning towards keeping the International and giving it a Green LED mod at some point.I don't think anyone has done it in green and it should be an interesting experiment.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Way to go, Jovie!!! It really is a simple mod and the result is well worth it. :cool:

Hang on to the International version. :yes: :yes: And if your friend keeps bugging you about it, just send it to me for safe keeping. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.