• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 WillHenson

WillHenson
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:11 AM

Hi,

Just got hold of a Pioneer SK-353L, works like a charm other than a loose speaker connection. I can fix this provided I can open the casing, and such this is where my problem lies, anybody know how to get into it? I've removed all screws and hunted for any catches that might need releasing but still no luck.

Posted Image

#2 Superduper

Superduper
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 6,169 posts
  • LocationSomewhere over the rainbow, USA

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:14 AM

You need to remove the cassette door glass too. Open the door and slide the glass up to release the clips.

#3 jaetee

jaetee
  • Members
  • 2,034 posts
  • LocationFlorida's West Coast

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:27 AM

Wow, what an elegant looking box. Unique with the low slung analog tuner on the bottom! It's an upside down box, but on the down-low!

Very cool!

Pioneer made some cool boomers!

Thanks for posting! :thumbsup:

#4 monchito

monchito
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,599 posts
  • Locationpythonville florida

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:32 AM

You need to remove the cassette door glass too. Open the door and slide the glass up to release the clips.

:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

#5 2steppa

2steppa
  • Members
  • 629 posts
  • LocationSunny Eastern England

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:58 AM

Great box, I have two of these which both had the same problem (bad solder joints on the function selector switch).

As stated, the cassette door window has to be removed, the sides of the hinges will need 'pinching' in slightly too in order to release it. It can be a little tricky getting it back in I found also.

Under the cassette window there is a little cross head screw which needs removing to allow the case to be spit.

#6 WillHenson

WillHenson
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:50 PM

Great box, I have two of these which both had the same problem (bad solder joints on the function selector switch).

As stated, the cassette door window has to be removed, the sides of the hinges will need 'pinching' in slightly too in order to release it. It can be a little tricky getting it back in I found also.

Under the cassette window there is a little cross head screw which needs removing to allow the case to be spit

Right I have the box split no trouble now, however I was wondering if you need to remove the deck mechanism to repair the soldering?

Thanks again

#7 Fatdog

Fatdog
  • Administrators
  • 9,808 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee, U.S.A.

Posted 16 April 2010 - 04:09 PM

Welcome aboard, Will. :cool: What a cute little Pioneer! I've never seen that one before. :-)

#8 WillHenson

WillHenson
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 04:42 PM

To 2steppa, can you recall if/how you repaired yours? I can't seem to put my finger on what's causing the issue. I've included an image of the inside of mine, the two big black cables toward the top left of the image cause the most change to the sound when disturbed, but again, not sure how to repair...

#9 WillHenson

WillHenson
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 04:43 PM

Also, thanks a lot to everyone for the very warm welcome into the community :-D

#10 Fatdog

Fatdog
  • Administrators
  • 9,808 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 04:57 PM

Hey Will, you mentioned some pictures, but I don't see anything. :huh:

#11 2steppa

2steppa
  • Members
  • 629 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:14 PM

Will......

In order to get to the solder joints the main board will have to come out, or at least manipulated sufficiently to gain access to the underside. When I examined the solder on the function switch with a magnifying glass I could see at least 3 joints in which the solder had cracked in a ring pattern.. I took no chances and made good all the joints by reheating and applying fresh solder.

The result...... A1 operation restored :surf:

Just make notes where any edge/multiway plugs reside and any unusual length screws etc. Take pictures to aid the repair process if necessary. I found this to be a fairly easy repair to accomplish, not as scary as it may sound or appear!

Good luck :sin:

#12 WillHenson

WillHenson
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:52 AM

Thanks a lot to everyone for the comments and help. Thanks particularly to 2steppa. It's all fixed up and working like a beauty, lovin' it!!

#13 Fatdog

Fatdog
  • Administrators
  • 9,808 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 09:08 AM

Thanks a lot to everyone for the comments and help. Thanks particularly to 2steppa. It's all fixed up and working like a beauty, lovin' it!!

SUPER YAY!!!

Congratulations, Will!! :afro:

#14 2steppa

2steppa
  • Members
  • 629 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 01:25 PM

Glad to hear it's concluded successfully, another fine box continues to boom. :surf:

#15 monchito

monchito
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,599 posts
  • Locationpythonville florida

Posted 18 April 2010 - 03:32 PM

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

#16 retrohead

retrohead
  • Members
  • 1,041 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:54 AM

ive just got one this weekend-fully working-£1!!!!!

#17 teamstress

teamstress
  • Members
  • 281 posts
  • Locationchicopee, ma, usa

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:26 PM

Is that the short-wave version of the sk-350?

Posted Image

Yes I painted the grills black.

#18 retrohead

retrohead
  • Members
  • 1,041 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 30 September 2011 - 03:12 AM

yes i believe the 353 is the short wave version :breakdance: