whats the deal with jvc

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Vancouver
so has it finally happened. jvc has pulled the plug on the portable stereo with big power.
say it isnt so.
whats left the lasonic,is that really it i mean have we finally hit the point in time where the portable stereo is done.
yes there are those xfm boomboxes as well as ipod docks like the mtx thunder but is that it.

Jovie

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Maybe its like Chevy discontinuing the Camaro a few years back.Hopefully they will bring the portable back in an improved form sometime soon!

Jovie

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Man your GOOD! I totally missed that part of my own analogy.We can only hope!

bill

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Vancouver
well i think perhaps maybe just maybe there is a glimmer of hope for something cool to come from this.
it might not have a tape deck or even a cd player but you never know.
i will also say this it seems a lot of people are beginning to see the short comings of there ipods.
dont get me wrong its not going aways but alot of people dont want to replace all those tapes and cds they have.

Johnny

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
MIDWEST
I love my Kabooms and hope that JVC reconsiders this and brings them back in the future.

bill

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Vancouver
its turning out that cassette actually is a longer lasting medium than digital disc in many cases.
often when a computers hard drive fries or breaks or what ever the user will loose thousands of hours of music thousands of photos all kinds of data.
lets face it how many people actually burn back up discs of everything. not many people do. also do most of us back up our mp3 librarys. i sure as hell dont. some people do but most dont. every day people dont have the time for it.
the cassette tho i dont think will make a return. it would be cool if it did. great sounding format and just really neat.
vinyl is making a comeback,but i think that things are going to jump forward soon.
i mean higher resolution recording technology and new speaker designs have to be out there now.
we are into the end year of the first decade of the new century.
nothing really new has happened in terms of hifi in a long time now.
i mean the ipod is really the same as those diamond rios only with more storage and video games on them.
i think a guy showed me a diamond rio back in like 1999 it had something like 64mb and cost him some crazy amount of money.
i refuse to believe that the pinnacle of sound is going to be mp3s. i mean people have to want more than that.
or do they

Gluecifer

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Belmont, Australia
Modern music has become a disposable non-entity.
It's been market driven to digital distribution and all these horrible sounding formats and by that process
the music has lost it's connection to 'art' entirely, theres no permanency or value to anything.

I expect some major issues to come along in 5 or 10 years time and the music industry will be forced to change, and hopefully for the better.

JVC cutting out it's kaboom range probably means a new ipod dock of theirs in development, if there isn't one already out.

Just my ideas anyway

Rock On.

bill

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Vancouver
i think you are right.
one thing about the kaboom is it sure did have a good run.
i mean i cant think of any boombox that remained in production for that long. even tho it went aways for a while it returned.
interesting to see whats next.

isolator42

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Surrey, UK
The Kaboom in all it's forms must surely have had the longest production run of any boombox. The first (RV-B90, I think) was available in 1998, so that's over ten years!

My (probably over optomistic) hope is that JVC have seen the overall positive reception that Lasonic's i931 achieved along with the continued interest in "retro", and thay have something cool on the way for us. Perhaps the sustained interest in JVCs larger old models M70, M90, RC550, PC55 has played a part too.

Just call me "glass half full" guy...

MasterBlaster84

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Northern California
Boom Shaka Laka said:
They've brought it back before... several times... each time new and "improved." Who's to say they won't bring it back again?!
Picture this, what if they brough back M70 or M90 styling with Kaboom technology? :thumbsup:

No I'm not saying bring back the M90 with Kaboom technology but just the M70 or M90 styling, rectangular sqare box with some classic boomer styling like front firing big drivers, some VU's and lots of dials, knobs, switches, etc.... Now stuff the box with the same tech that makes the Kaboom "BOOM", of course add a mid and tweeter to help make the sound huge. If they could sell Kabooms for several hundred they could make a great retro in the same price range or even a little more.

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
no doubt --many influential jvc employees are also ebay viewers --
so -
when they report back --that all good shape kabooms are now topping the $500 mark -

they will --as a matter of normal business
bring it back --

in any form

ford93

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Former New Yorker
Yeah it would be nice to see a new and improve M-90 but I think the Japanese are trying to distant themselves from Boomboxes. :annoyed:

Status
Not open for further replies.