Help Demystifying An Aiwa Turntable Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gluecifer

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Belmont, Australia
I've had a hunt around and can't find ANY information about this, and thought I'd ask here.

A while back I picked up an Aiwa PX-E550 turntable from the dump. Essentially brand new in the box.
Now, I assumed it was a regular component turntable, and was so excited as it was virtually brand new
that I didn't bother to check it out further and paid my US$15 happily.

However, when I got it home and had a play with it I discovered it has some wacky proprietary plug on the end of it, that unifies the power and audio outputs into the below plug:

Now, I assumed it was offered as an option for some midi systems possibly, and then I thought, wow! maybe it's a turntable designed to be plugged into the back of the 3 piece portable? The plug looks very similar to some of the Sony and Panasonic high end multi piece combo portables (like the FH series), to my eye.

I know it's probably not, but I'd like to get it working and find out what is actually designed for. The gold Aiwa logo and black gloss colouring of the turntable leads me to believe it's probably mid 90s, at my best guess.

Any ideas?

Rock On.

Gluecifer

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Belmont, Australia
Ahh! Thanks Bobby!
87's a good vintage indeed.

Tony: yeah, 5 pins, which must break down exactly as you described.
I'm sure taking her apart and following the wires inside will make it reasonably easier to make the pin outs.

But ideally I'd like a female version of that socket to then hack the RCA's/power onto.

Will have a look inside and check it out when I'm in need of another turntable.

Thanks for the help guys!

Rock On.

Status
Not open for further replies.