Sanyo M-X650K Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldskool69

Staff member
May 5, 2009
'Bama!!! Deep In Da' Heart O' Dixie
As many of you know, I have obtained a lovely Sanyo M-X650K on the very cheap. (One of the reasons "I suck". :lol: ) Unfortunately, it also came a little battered and bruised. :-/ The good news is that the internals are actually pretty clean. :-D The cassette head looks like it may be in trouble though. :-/

There was plenty of dirt and grime so a bath she was needin'. I have broken it down and love the simplicity of this box. As a understand it is the kissin' cousin to the Aiwa CS-770. And looking at the guts from both tells me it's true, not just the layout of the face.

Ira had one of these sometime ago and like he tends to do had a senile moment and sold it back in '08 if my memory serves me right. :lol:

Here are the progress pics...

Notice no fuses. This will be corrected. :nonono: :yes:

There is still some body work to do as it has a couple of dings I can't let slide in the cassette door and upper left corner. I am going to mold the missing knobs and work on the internals getting those cleaned up. I will do very little painting as I kinda like 'em to look as if they had some life and weren't "shelf queens". Besides, the graphics screened on this makes it a tough sell anyway. I will do some touch up here and there though. :thumbsup:

Check back for updates! :-D

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
huge job , freddie :thumbsup: :-O
i think its a VERY rare model -with a real quality sound --so
its worth that tremendous effort.

and yes -- i had one --liked it ALOT-
forgot WHY i sold it :dunce: :huh:

and forgot which member got it :dunce: :-)

i think it was vladi or lopez

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Wow! Is that actually insulation in there??! :huh: :-O It looks tons better already, Frizzle. :yes: :yes:

snoop918

Member (SA)
Aug 30, 2009
oldskool you did a excellent job cleaning this one. I know it will look great when finished. This is what makes this such an awesome hobby, a chance to bring a boombox back to life. This site is great.

blah blah

Member (SA)
May 8, 2009
deep fluffy powdercountry
Nice oldy :thumbsup: :thumbsup: wash that bugger. It is an awesome sounding box. I picked one up a while ago and really dig it. The purple text on top is a bit weird, but I really like the looks. Can't wait to see yours all cleaned up :w00t: You do suck for finding that in the wild :yes:

hemiguy2006

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
That is a great start!!
Man that suker was filthy.
Looking 100% better with just a bath though.

AZA

Member (SA)
May 9, 2009
Down Under
Nice work :thumbsup:
I love seeing these boxes get cleaned up by new owners
that care :yes:

Never seen this Sanyo before. If i had noticed it from a distance
i would have laid money down that it was an Aiwa, and clearly i would
have lost that bet. :lol:

Johnny

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
MIDWEST
That is definitely some progress!!! That chrome looks new on the front of it!! Cant wait to see it finished either! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

skippy1969

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Baraboo Wisconsin
oldskool69 said:
As many of you know, I have obtained a lovely Sanyo M-X650K on the very cheap. (One of the reasons "I suck". :lol: ) Unfortunately, it also came a little battered and bruised. :-/ The good news is that the internals are actually pretty clean. :-D The cassette head looks like it may be in trouble though. :-/

There was plenty of dirt and grime so a bath she was needin'. I have broken it down and love the simplicity of this box. As a understand it is the kissin' cousin to the Aiwa CS-770. And looking at the guts from both tells me it's true, not just the layout of the face.

Ira had one of these sometime ago and like he tends to do had a senile moment and sold it back in '08 if my memory serves me right. :lol:

Here are the progress pics...

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

Notice no fuses. This will be corrected. :nonono: :yes:

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

There is still some body work to do as it has a couple of dings I can't let slide in the cassette door and upper left corner. I am going to mold the missing knobs and work on the internals getting those cleaned up. I will do very little painting as I kinda like 'em to look as if they had some life and weren't "shelf queens". Besides, the graphics screened on this makes it a tough sell anyway. I will do some touch up here and there though. :thumbsup:

Check back for updates! :-D
Freddie,I can tell you from owning and working on both versions of the Aiwa CS770 mk1 and the CS770 mk2 that the Sanyo M-X650k IS NOT the same box as either Aiwa CS770. It may look similar,but that is where the similarity stops. The Aiwa's use a totally different cassette mechanism and circuit boards than the Sanyo. But yes,they surely do look the same. I thought this,until I owned both and compared them side by side. I should of took some pictures of both for a side by side comparison.
I just thought you would like to know.
Nice 650 by the way.
I'm calling Dibs! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :lol:

skippy1969

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Baraboo Wisconsin
redbenjoe said:
huge job , freddie :thumbsup: :-O
i think its a VERY rare model -with a real quality sound --so
its worth that tremendous effort.

and yes -- i had one --liked it ALOT-
forgot WHY i sold it :dunce: :huh:

and forgot which member got it :dunce: :-)

i think it was vladi or lopez
I got a M-X650 from you Ira.... :yes: :thumbsup:
Remember the infamous "woodie battery door" shipment ? :dunce: :dunce: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.