JVC PC-5 speaker surround replacement ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaboomer

Member (SA)
Aug 27, 2009
After a long lay-off, I am back....

Just picked up a super bad, very clean PC-5 Quintet...... so far, all I can see wrong with it is the dried out speaker surrounds. Pretty sure I can do the repair..... If I could just figure out how to get into these damn speaker cabinets....lol

I took the speaker terminal plate off the back to see inside but it looks like the speaker screws are accessable from the front somehow ? Well long story short, I don't want to wreck the speaker trim or cabinet getting this apart so I stopped.

Any info on how to safely open these enclosures up would be great.

I will put up some pictures later, this thing is really clean and has both original stickers on front, the battery tubes, and 3 clear stickers on the back that show how to hook all the wires up. Just wait until I tell the story of how I ended up with this thing, it's a hoot !

thanks again and glad to be back, peace :surf:

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
WAIT !!!

till somebody here tells you how --
there IS an easy // safe way to do it --
has to do with removing something ?? first--
i forgot :dunce: :-) :-D

just dont try to pry anything apart :nonono:
its easier than that

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
There are 2 rubber feet at the front at the bottom of the speaker boxes remove them the screws are in those holes, remove the screws pull the front cabinet gently from the bottom im sure you can figure out the rest :-D

kaboomer

Member (SA)
Aug 27, 2009
oh ! sounds good ! Thanks for the expert help there. I want to replace the surrounds only to keep it original as possible plus these are 6 ohm speakers and the only 6 ohm I could find are pure junk, no frequenct response compaired to the original speaker specs. I thought there might be a tweeter in there but there is NOT ! Just a port for the full range driver. Interesting.

Thanks again guys, I will now hunt for 4" surrounds, if they exist

wish me luck and HAPPY EASTER everyone :breakdance:

UPDATE: I found this site pretty quick, look here> http://www.speakerworks.com/speaker_rep ... s_s/65.htm
hope this helps someone else.

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
kaboomer said:
oh ! sounds good ! Thanks for the expert help there. I want to replace the surrounds only to keep it original as possible plus these are 6 ohm speakers and the only 6 ohm I could find are pure junk, no frequenct response compaired to the original speaker specs. I thought there might be a tweeter in there but there is NOT ! Just a port for the full range driver. Interesting.

Thanks again guys, I will now hunt for 4" surrounds, if they exist

wish me luck and HAPPY EASTER everyone :breakdance:
your welcome :yes: :-D

kaboomer

Member (SA)
Aug 27, 2009
Well I popped off the 2 rubber feet under the front of the enclosure, directly under the speaker grill, NO SCREWS - just a TAB in each hole. I pressed the tabs and gently pryed them forward, then lifted the entire square retainer from the front of the speaker. Will post some pics when able.

still great help knowing about the removable rubber feet. be careful with them though, you could cut them if not careful.

more to come... :afro:

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
Thats what you do i have done plenty of them, are you sure you have a pc5 tabs underneath seem strange

kaboomer

Member (SA)
Aug 27, 2009
Yes, it says PC-5JW ??? Is that the same ?

thats the 5 piece Quintet like in the Harlem Globetrotters advertisement.

Just tried the tape deck , it stopped twice then worked fine, just played BOTH sides of a Journey cassette and then tried all the music search and pause functions. Also just taped Motley Crue off the radio with a blank cassette, works like a charm. Just waiting for speaker surrounds to arrive, $23 bucks shipped with glue and 2 surrounds.

I was wondering how they got that pretty white cone to stay glue free from the surround, and while I was removing the old surround, noticed that the original surround was glued to the BACK of the cone so you never see any glue ! nice idea !

Pics comming very soon, G

kaboomer

Member (SA)
Aug 27, 2009
:breakdance: Note the price !!! Salvation Army special - I think I shat myself when I looked up and saw it, finally a pretty nice box from a thrift shop !

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
oldskool69 said:
kaboomer said:
:breakdance: Note the price !!! Salvation Army special - I think I shat myself when I looked up and saw it, finally a pretty nice box from a thrift shop !

[ Image ]
See my "I Suck.." thread regarding wild/thrifty finds. You are now a member of "Suckdom". :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I agree! Way to go, kaboomer. :-)

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
kaboomer said:
Also just taped Motley Crue off the radio with a blank cassette, works like a charm.
Pics comming very soon, G
Very incriminating! Oh sorry, i was thinking downloading! Totally different! This is downloading from the 70's - 80's!

kaboomer

Member (SA)
Aug 27, 2009
Just replaced the original speakers with 150 watt Clarion 2 ways, don't freak out, its just til I can get the surround kits put on the originals. here is what I put in there, and yes, they pump. Cost $20 used, another buddy had them lying around.

71spud

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
oldskool69 said:
kaboomer said:

[ Image ]

See my "I Suck.." thread regarding wild/thrifty finds. You are now a member of "Suckdom". :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I agree..... a PC-5 in the wild.... with a working deck.... and a deck sticker.... AND THE BOTTOM DOOR!!! All for $5????

You do suck. I hate you.... :grim:

:w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

kaboomer

Member (SA)
Aug 27, 2009
I'm sorry guys, but honestly, I have been looking for 9 years for a boombox worth its weight in salt in thrift stores, flea markets and yard sales. just finally found one worth a darn. I am very impressed with the quality of these, from inside the speaker box's, to the antennas on top. they went above and beyond here on the PC-5. here is a pic of her all cleaned up and sporting the temporary speakers.

thanks for the nice comments, and the funny ones.

retrohead

Member (SA)
May 29, 2010
United Kingdom
yep,sweet,and a pc5 for $5?thats for nothing :yes: my new pc5 had the same speaker surround rot,so had lying around here a pair of mini kaboom woofers,so ive put those babies in,perfect fit,and have retained the originals to get them re foamed in the new year,as ill want to put them back in eventually to keep her nice and stock :thumbsup: but,in my mini review stylee-
these are great,all round,hifi orientated boxes....sound is brilliant,deep bass and loudness button to boot :-D this is my second pc5 in 6 years and i just love them....arguably jvc's finest moment ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.