RISING 20/20 SRC-2015 Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gluecifer

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Belmont, Australia
Ok, my RISING developed this issue a while back.
What happens is when pressure is applied to the Tape Selector switch the entire sound
can cut in an out. To get it back, it needs to be held with pressure to the sides of the toggle
or if it drops out completely it needs to be put in Radio mode and moved around a bit until the
sound comes back, then putting her back on to Tape gets the sound going. Until the box is moved
the wrong way again, then off it goes.

I've had her apart and took the pcb frame off the back casing and cleaned the switch very well with
deoxit in every conceivable angle and flipped it back and forth many, many times. I can't see any
dry joins on the back of the board or anywhere else visible. The switch looks like it does a lot
more than it seems on the surface from the size and complexity of it, but I'm not confident enough to
remove it and possibly bugger it up further.

Any ideas? Or if it needs to be replaced, anyone have one to sell me? I realllly love this radio and dearly
want to carry her to work and use her as intended.. but this issue isn't making that easy.

Also, if anyone has parts, I'm after a cassette deck key lever, the long metal piece that the buttons slide onto.
The Record one on mine snapped off to further make life difficult.

Thanks for reading, brothers.

Rock On.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Hey Rick, on the bottom of those switches is a tiny, round hole. Of course, they are somewhat difficult to see. That's where the DeOxit should be sprayed. Don't spray so much that it gets everything wet though; just a couple of quick sprays. I know from experience that the buttons for FM, AM, AFC, etc. can cause problems and make it appear that it's another switch. The buttons also have little holes on the underside. Be sure to wipe off any excess spray too. See if that helps. :-)

Gluecifer

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Belmont, Australia
I'm trying not to get excited but I think that worked Bobby! I must have been spraying the cleaner everywhere BUT where it needed to go previously.

The switch has been working fine all day, and i've been swapping between normal and chrome tapes and radio quite a bit, and no sound drop out! BUT I've not moved the box a lot, the real test will be whether it hold up on the walk to work tomorrow... but I'm not sure if I'll take her or opt for the M70 as I was unable to hack repair the Record button on the RISING today and I need to record to tape all day at work.. so I'll see.

I've verrrry nearly made a work around for the snapped deck lever, but not nutted it out completely yet.
Theres a good chance I'll bugger it completely and need a replacement though.

Thanks for the help brothers. Fingers crossed it the switch is 100% now!

Rock On.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Hey Rick, do you need just the lever? Or do you need the lever AND the record switch cover? :huh:

Gluecifer

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Belmont, Australia
Just the lever.

The thin tip the cover sits on snapped off...it must've been weakened for a while as when it happened it was when I was lifting it up onto a shelf and it caught on my tshirt, verry little pressure was on it. Just grateful it happened inside and not out when I was carrying her.

I have an idea that i'll play with tonight or tomorrow that will hopefully be strong enough. The ideas I had about making a thin metal-sleeve to rejoin the two pieces together didn't work out unfortunately.

Rock On.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
I might be able to help you out with that. I do recall one of the metal switches being different from the others. I can't remember at the moment if it was the record switch or the pause switch. :hmmm: Shoot me a PM when you can and I'll take a look for you.

Gluecifer

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Belmont, Australia
Ok, she's still buggered and depression is setting in. I took her for a walk to do some shopping and sure enough, after ten minutes of working perfectly, the sound started cutting out again. Holding the Tape Selector switch got it back, but the movement of walking with her made it cut every other step.

So I looked quite the tool walking around the town with a radio that wasn't going..

Anyway, I think I'll have to take her to the repairers and may have to enlist your part service, Frank, depending if he can resurrect it or if it needs a replacing. I'm also after a replacement aluminium facsia for the top, mines in very scratched condition, but I'd expect most of them are.

Such a shame.. really thought she was ready to rock.

Thanks brothers

Rock On.

Status
Not open for further replies.