Double Belt your kaboom!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superduper

Member (SA)
When it's time to rebelt your kaboom, you may notice that the setup has provisions for 2 belts. Each and every pulley including the motor pinion has 2 grooves. BUT JVC only installs 1 belt at the factory. I wondered about this and whether a 2 belt setup would work -- It does. I tried it and no problems at all. The pulleys are quite slick and easy to slip, even with the Sony-like double capstan wrap around setup. Medium belts were installed at the factory. When doing a double belt setup, you may want to install small belts instead of medium to prevent over tensioning the motor bearings. The goal here is to increase friction from implementing a dual belting source thereby increasing belt contact area. Of course increased friction can also be accomplished via increased tensioning but that causes eventual problems with motor bearings and the motor installed on these kabooms is puny. Heck, the entire cassette mechanism is puny maybe 3 ounces, unlike the 4 pounder mechanical assembly I'm used to seeing in the classic setups -- rather disappointing, really.

JUST FYI.

Status
Not open for further replies.