your best LOW VOLUME boxes ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
some of us --like me -
live 10 feet from box-hatin' neighbors :-) ......................j/k i have great neighbors--

and --there are times at night -where these boring people actually try sleeping !!! :-) :-D :w00t:

so --its important to have boxes that produce full range music --quietly
-------------------------------------------------------------------

its easy to say .."they ALL sound good at low volumes"

its easier to say "BULLSHITTE"....... :lol: :-P :lol:

like the jvc big mono 550 and the great m70 suk at low volumes-
there is NO BASS --nothing !!!
--------------------------------------------------
most of my big grails are in some lame storage place right now -
so i cant really do the accurate tests --

but --its no surprise that some huge loud bass hitters --also sound tremendous
at the lowest volumes-
the m90 with the loudness on and the bass and treble dials full up --is clear and beautiful-

the kaboom at # 6 bass --sounds ALIVE with that deep pumping bass
----------------------------------------
one box i have (sin just got one) is so good at low volume
i consider it my ' purpose box' :-D
its the aiwa 3 piece CA-70 --
it cant play loud -
but i use it everytime i set up for a late night (like right now) :-)

the radio shack scr-8 with the loudness is pretty good at quiet times

and the aiwa 880 is almost kaboom-like when played low-
========================

there might be 50 more --
lets see what boxes you guys post about :-) :cool:

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
Hi Ira-My 777H & 767 are superb!
Also the JVC-PC55JW & C are quite nice also when you adjust the eq.
I'll have to test some others but so far these are so nice to go to sleep to!
Have a great week-GB. :-) :yes: :cool:

bill

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Vancouver
best low volume boxes.
absolutely positively the sony fh7 and with a close number two going to the pc550

i think the boxes with the big transformers do well with low volume providing nice sound .
i dont really know why but the sound seems better on boxes that have big transformers.
also i think the sanyo m9998k and its smaller brother the 9996 also have excellent sound at low volume.

allthough not a boombox the best portable radio i have at low volume is my grundig 210 its not even a stereo but the sound it puts out at low volume is beyond belief. i wish i had boombox that sounded that good when it was fairly quiet. dont really know how or why it works so well could be the wood.

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
bill --i would also tend to think its the wood --

:hmmm: except --the kaboon is a gigantic hunk of plastic :-)

and so is your 9998 and 9996 :-D

bill

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Vancouver
but the kaboom is a tube so its kind of like a log :lol: and the other two are more like three piece boxes that you cant take apart.

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
true and true :-)

i forgot to mention my other huge hunk of cheap plastic ---
the panny 707 is a full range music machine at very quiet settings :yes:

MasterBlaster84

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Northern California
For a full size box I think the Sanyo 9994 does very well at lower volumes, turn the Bass and Treble up and the volume down and it still hits full range sound nicely. I also like the RX-C20 for low volume, this mini is about sound quality at lower volumes. :thumbsup:

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
GEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZ --
i might have been dead wrong (for once) :-)
about the 50 -
there might be one or two hundred !! :yes:

bill

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Vancouver
redbenjoe said:
true and true :-)

i forgot to mention my other huge hunk of cheap plastic ---
the panny 707 is a full range music machine at very quiet settings :yes:
i am with you there.

mellymelsr

Member (SA)
Sep 11, 2009
Northern Cali
My 2 favorite low volume boxes are the M9994k with loudness on and bass and treble turned up is a beautiful sounding full range box and my Rising 20/20 is very solid at low volumes. The Rising performs as if it were designed for low volume performance as its bass hits very solid yet not overwhelming with an overall warm sound at low volumes.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
#1 jvc m90
#2 crown 850
#3 jvc pc 55 this one kicks the other 2 boxes asses at low volume actually there almost is no such thing as low volume by the time its on #2 it's already loud lol.

Ken

Member (SA)
Aug 30, 2009
Bremerton, WA, USA
JVCs with wood speaker boxes produce a pleasing tone at low volume. IMHO a Panasonic w/ ambience really makes for a great soundstage at night at low volume, much better than, say, Sharp's stereo wide function.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
For low to mid volume, you can't beat the Aiwa CS-880 or Sanyo M-X720. ;-) :cool: Even when fairly loud, these boxes sound wonderful.

For the minis, the FX-500 is a great "low volume" player - clean, clear sound with just a hint of a big bottom. :cool:

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
bill said:
but the kaboom is a tube so its kind of like a log :lol: and the other two are more like three piece boxes that you cant take apart.
Its so much like a log it should be flushed down the bog :lol: For sombody who used to like kabooms i sold my last one for £40 with no plans of getting another unless it was the dp200, i hear these fair better on the clarity

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
JVC Floyd said:
#1 jvc m90
#2 crown 850
#3 jvc pc 55 this one kicks the other 2 boxes asses at low volume actually there almost is no such thing as low volume by the time its on #2 it's already loud lol.
:agree: With floyd although an m90 totally modded is better than a 55 hands down.

Master Z

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Toledo, OH!
Panasonic RX-5085
Sounds awesome at low- mid volumes with the ambience on and bass and treb levels at nice levels, great soundstage and a HiFi sound, once you pass the mid volume levels it gets sloppy.

Another I had that was good at low levels was the JVC PCV-55 with hyperbass. real smooth and detailed, but lost it half way up the volume slide.

jaetee

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Florida's West Coast
My two favorite low volume boxes (in no particular order) are the Panasonic RX-DT707 (plays CDs and one deck is good) and the Sanyo M9990 (small footprint, great for hotel rooms, but tape is erratic).

The smallish mid-size Sanyo surprises most people who hear it for the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.