The Sharp GF-777H Vs.The Sharp Gf-777Z!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
Hi everyone-I have a 777H,777Z,& 767!
First of all I want to say that the 777H has MW,FM,SW1,LW.
The 777Z has AM/FM/SW1/SW2.
I have to say first that my Z has modified woofers but everything else is original.
My 777H is 100% stock.
The first thing I noticed the cassette's on these models function & put out about the same volume.
BUT-I firmly believe the H has a better tuner-especially FM-This thing on FM is incredible,I mean really incredible.
The sensitivity & overall putput is so powerful that on 4 it's so loud it was blowing my stickers almot off!! :w00t: :cool:
This actually get's close to M-90 bass but not as clear or as defined but just raw power!!!!!
I really think my H has very low mileage on it-I just can't believe the power. :-O
It is more powerful than the 767 also.
I mean I think I have a freak 777H!
I restored it with brand new 777 antennas from China ,new grills & new stickers that came with the grills.
This is a special box-I would like to challenge anybody elses 777 with this one-seriously! :surf: :yes:
Also this is THE BEST LOW VOLUME BOX-it's beefy and deep even at below 1!
Very nice night-time sleep box.
The best thing-It was a little rough at the beginning & I got it for $69.00!!
I put about $100.00 into it in parts & worth every penny.
Let me know what you guys think-take a comparison!
Have a great week-GB. :-) :yes: :cool: :thumbsup: :-O :breakdance: :afro: :choco: :cool: :-O

Johnny

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
MIDWEST
My latest acquired GF 767 is the same way, it is wicked powerful - more so than any GF 777z I have had.

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
hey jeff --
you just hit up on a cause for a brand new discussion thread......... :huh:

'the best LOW VOLUME box "

watch for it soon on a post near you :-O :-) :hmmm:

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
ok mono --

i guess the general chat forum is the most appropriate :hmmm: :-)

gimme a few minutes to test all 100 of my grails !!! :-P :lol: |-) ;-)

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
Ira-I'm catching up to you!! I think 82-83 now!! :lol: :-P
You have more grails I bet! :-)

But I have always said this 777H is superb at low volume-even better than the DT-680 and many.many others!
I also have to say on these 777 series is that if you good drivers-like low mileage(not blown or torn-up)it really makes a difference
I know-I've almost restored my 767.The 2 drivers were replaced with real nice original 767 speakers and that side was superb! Ira-you may remember with mine at the meet!
I still need 2 speakers for my 767 and It will really be superb!
I like these behomoths!!
Have a great week-GB. :-) :yes: :cool:

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
jeff - i agree about that monster 777 series of sharps --
they have a clean low volume output -

but i never had more than one of those models --
at the same time --to compare them -

so YOU are the site guru on big GFs :-) :-D

Ken

Member (SA)
Aug 30, 2009
Bremerton, WA, USA
Hey, GB, what woofers did you use in your Z? What hz do they go down to and what is the impedence?
I agree, the 777 is a very good low-volume box. :thumbsup:

Johnny

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
MIDWEST
Superduper said:
I dunno Jeff. I have 2 777's and they coincidentally happen to be the GF-777H and GF-777z. They both sound the same to me.

Could very well be the electronic condition and tune of your boomboxes have shifted over the years accounting for the difference. :yes: :yes:

Isn't the 777H a low wattage version of the Z model? Would seem it should play not as loud but seems like it may just not the be case in your boxes Super and Jeff. :hmmm:

Never had a 777H so I'm out of that comparison. I have had C100F's and C100FF's and always prefer the sound of the higher wattage version "F" models. Could also be based on the "low mileage" status of them as well. :hmmm:

Either way all the boxes have the ghetto fabulous history and look to 'em so I love 'em all :thumbsup: .

Eddy

Member (SA)
May 20, 2009
Superduper said:
I dunno Jeff. I have 2 777's and they coincidentally happen to be the GF-777H and GF-777z. They both sound the same to me.

Could very well be the electronic condition and tune of your boomboxes have shifted over the years accounting for the difference. :yes: :yes:
:agree: totally. I own both of these too . Sound and sound level is exactly the same.
Wat i would do with the GF 777 with lower output? Replace the output capacitors . They may be in bad shape when the box had a hard life

Superduper

Member (SA)
Johnny said:
Isn't the 777H a low wattage version of the Z model? Would seem it should play not as loud but seems like it may just not the be case in your boxes Super and Jeff. :hmmm:
: .
Nope. Same 60watt rating. The z has some blue in the dial while the H has a dark grey dial. I believe they were released in different parts of the world with the primary differences due to slight differences in input voltages. The H says 110/220/240. Perhaps it may appear to operate with greater power when set to 110 since US voltage can vary between 115v to 120v allowing the transformer to output slightly higher voltage thereby giving an impression that it's more powerful. Otherwise, they are identical.

Johnny

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
MIDWEST
Superduper said:
Johnny said:
Nope. Same 60watt rating. The z has some blue in the dial while the H has a dark grey dial. I believe they were released in different parts of the world with the primary differences due to slight differences in input voltages. The H says 110/220/240. Perhaps it may appear to operate with greater power when set to 110 since US voltage can vary between 115v to 120v allowing the transformer to output slightly higher voltage thereby giving an impression that it's more powerful. Otherwise, they are identical.

This is good to know! I am curious why the speakers stickers Fatdog has say 24 watts for the H and 90 watts for Z version was just a advertising ploy? :huh:

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
Superduper said:
Johnny said:
Hi Norm-I do know that these all have the same output amps in them.
There's no difference in output on any of the 777 series.
I do have 1 idea.The 777H is a Great Britain version.
It does have LW & I've heard that the H has a few more diodes but that may be for the different tuner circuitry.
BUT my speakers are just original & in mint condition on my H. :yes:
Could it be that there might be a stronger tuner output on the H or are the tuners exactly the same on these 2 models?
I firmly believe my caps are very nice and super good condition transcducers on my H make the difference!! :yes: :-)

As far as the speakers on my Z.It's just the woofers & not the super woofers that have been changed but they do sound superb at higher volumes but not as bassy as the original H's that I have.
I'm possibly guessing that without opening up my Z that these have more power handling capability so just maybe the sensitivity isn't as high as the H's.
I'll look into opening up the Z sometime but it's damn near in mint condition-the back and screws are perfect.Someday i will.
Have a good one-GB. :-) :yes:

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
After reading norms post about input voltages this might just be the reason along with what I've stated about caps and transcducers!! :yes:

Superduper

Member (SA)
Jeff. I indicated before in another thread where it's not unusual for separate examples of the same model to sound different. Maybe fresh out of the box 30 years ago they sounded the same. Over time, average storage and operational temperature, amount of use, wear/tear, environmental factors etc contribute to changes in the electrical characteristics as well as the wear of speakers, materials etc. I doubt that the tuner is significantly different. An extra diode or 2 isn't going to enhance the tuner's sensitivity any significant amount. You'd need more tuner stages for that. The tuner's selectivity can be changed however by using ceramic filters of a more narrow bandwidth. That mod can even be done right now. It's very common for analalog tuners to drift out of alignment over time and if one has drifted more than the other, then you can certainly tell the difference in the tuners reception ability.

As for power, it's possible that the H sharp being set to 110v can appear to be more powerful when plugged into AC where the real voltage ranges from 115 to 127 volts. More voltage is going to generate more power at the outputs. However, since you are comparing sets with different woofers, I'd say that has a lot to do with it. OEM speakers are extremely efficient, and generally sacrifice in the area of power handling. The beefier woofers probably aren't as efficient as the originals would be my guess and the SPL rating of speakers can have tremendous effect on the perceived loudness of the set in general.

I don't doubt that you are in fact, noticing all that you say. I'm merely suggesting that other factors could be at play which has nothing to do with any real differences between the two models.

Just my "guess."

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
The 777 sounds shiat unless you turn the subs off the same goes for the 1000 i only just discovered this

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
Maybe i should explain

With the subs on you get a hollow boomy bass

With them totally off you get a much more balanced rich warm sound......... try it.

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
Hi Norm-I totally concur!
I do believe that let's say that the originals sensitivty may be 90-91db. Where the after markets might only be 88-89db.
Being I can tell that the aftermarkets cones have a more rigid fiber feel to them and a bigger spider!
This means these could probably take 100 watts versus the 15-25w that the originals have.I don't have exact values as I haven't opened it up in while.
But it is nice when played loud-this pertains to the Z model I have with different woofers.

As far as the H-I do agree but as I have stated the better condition the speakers,the better the sound.They do get "tore-up" after the years on some!
Have a great week-GB. :-) :yes:

Superduper

Member (SA)
Johnny said:
This is good to know! I am curious why the speakers stickers Fatdog has say 24 watts for the H and 90 watts for Z version was just a advertising ploy? :huh:
HUGE HUGE Advertising Ploy!

If I recall correctly, the GF-777's all use the HA1392 outputs, dual stereo modules. I believe if you do a websearch for this module, you'll find them to be about 6wpc. Dual stereo modules in non-bridged arrangement would mean 4 amps, so 24watts total would be spot on! 90watts?!? :lol: :lol: Heck, The AC input power rating is only 60watts! :lol: How you can extract 90watts out from 60watts in (and we aren't even factoring in the operational power loss yet) is beyond me but whoever can do this can probably also make cars run on water. But yeah. Deceptive Advertising exageration to the extreme. :thumbsdown: Unfortunately, also very common practice. :thumbsdown:

Status
Not open for further replies.