Panasonic RX-A5 vs Panasonic RX-A2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LLopez

Member (SA)
May 8, 2009
OK sorry the delay but here is the comparism.
Panasonic RX-A5 versus the Panasonic A2:
A5 has a deep clean bass, A2 the bass is deeper.
A5 has cristal clear trble and so as the A2
A5 has a wide super loud music power while the A2 has a wider louder sound.
A5 has double cassette with music search while the A2 has a single deck with music search.
A5 has 5 speakers 2 are bass radiators while the A2 has two 8 inch speakers with a pair of tweeters.
The case on the A5 is almost 2 inch deeper than the A2, It is liter than the A2. To me the A5 is more beautiful than the A2 like more elegant while the A2 looks more meaner ghetto. They both go real loud louder than a JVC M90 and Conion C-100F.
The A5 has 5 band equalizer with no loudness button while the A2 has bass treble & loudness button.
Both units are portable can be used with 10D batteries but cannot be carried as a 3 piece boombox, But I will change that.
Over all I like more the A5 in style and looks, But I like the A2 more in sound quality, Don't get me wrong the A5 thumps some serious bass with cristal highs but the A5 has a deeper sound. They both are louder than an M90, C-100F,Pioneer CK-5, CK-7, SK-900 Any Sony with APM speakers, Telefunken HiFi Studio 1, HP-800, Fisher PH-480, 492, Sanyo C-9, 960 Yamaha PC-9, JVC PC-5, PC-55JW, Pansonic RX-5350, Dt-680 GF-777, WF-939, Lasonic TRC 918, 920, 922,935,975, Helix Wheelley 5000.
I recommend either one ya will be pleased with either or both, I will customize brackets to be able to connect them and carry either one, And yess I would be crazy enough to carry either one.
If I missed something please let me know & I'll be glad to answer them.

oldskool69

Staff member
May 5, 2009
'Bama!!! Deep In Da' Heart O' Dixie
Beautiful units! I'd like either one. :thumbsup:

Good luck on the modification as well. As far as loudness, yes on mains, I'd bet they're killers, however, on batteries, I'd bet they would struggle aginst the likes of the WF-939 or RX-C100, etc. as Norm (Supadoop) mentioned in another thread because the amperage you could get on mains would not be there running on D cells. :-)

That being said, the fear factor from looks alone if someone were to line one up on the street for a D cell shoot out cannot be denied! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Superduper

Member (SA)
Actually, I never tried the Sharp or Panasonic on batteries but the A5, I did and it's still very loud. The bass lacks definition when cranked up on batteries but that's probably to be expected since the current will sag on high demand but the circuit is designed to operate on 15volts (not a dual tiered AC - DC) so there is no penalty on battery operation except where the batteries are low or unable to supply the current demanded by the circuit at full blast.

oldskool69

Staff member
May 5, 2009
Superduper said:
Actually, I never tried the Sharp or Panasonic on batteries but the A5, I did and it's still very loud. The bass lacks definition when cranked up on batteries but that's probably to be expected since the current will sag on high demand but the circuit is designed to operate on 15volts (not a dual tiered AC - DC) so there is no penalty on battery operation except where the batteries are low or unable to supply the current demanded by the circuit at full blast.

Thanks for the clarification Norm. I would expect some degradation as well but good to know it still cranks on batteries. :-)

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
oldy --or anyone at the last meet...

was the A2 that skillphil had - running on batteries?
while franks tele studio was on ac power ?

oldskool69

Staff member
May 5, 2009
redbenjoe said:
ok - thanks --
i know the A2 will destroy the tele - when both are on batteries

Well, to me...the A2 tended to sound more PA system like than a Hi-Fi machine (i.e the CK series etc.) ...sort of like the HK-9000. Maybe it's the curve the circuitry is designed to, maybe it's the speaker housings, I don't know. It's loud as heezy but loudness doesn't quantify good, rich sound. Regardless, I'd still like to have one. :-)

bill

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Vancouver
the a2 is all disco bs..... i mean its written all over it in big letters... :lol: :lol:

seriously tho. i like them both in terms of looks.
i would like to have one of either model.
they are loud.
i have heard both and well i have to say the a2 is a nicer sounding unit. both of them tho really are neat . i remember the a2 being dragged during assembly so the principal could be heard during his school addresses.

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
also -the A2 is the only serious box -i have ever heard -
that can be turned up -- with the bass full -
way past very loud - and with no woofer distortion -
so it has // and can handle power

(which is a good thing) :-) :-) :yes:

LLopez

Member (SA)
May 8, 2009
:-D Thanks fellas, I tested them both with batteries now and they still sound very loud only I have to back up on the bass a little cause it was draining them really fast, So to get the best power out of those units I use Duracels they last longer and for the first 15 minutes I get the full sound after that starts to distort, I tested them on batteries vs M90 & C-100F & still a lot louder with richer bass. :-)

hemiguy2006

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Thanks for the comparison!!!! :thumbsup:
I always wondered what the differences were sound wise on these two.
I have to say I love the looks of the A5 better than the A2.
But wouldn't mind having either one

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
That RX-A5 looks like it was just pulled fresh off the factory line. :thumbsup: :cool: Great write up, Miguel!

And that corner... wow! :jawdrop: That's the stuff that dreams are made of right there. :yes:

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
reminding all-
that lopez will be driving all the way from NYC to the florida meet :yes:

and there will be no more than 15 minutes alotted for the photo/autograpgh session :-) :w00t: :-D
NO exceptions !!!!! :breakdance:

Status
Not open for further replies.