Just arrived: Pioneer SK-353L

jonny

Member (SA)
May 21, 2016
Hurrah!

Courier has just deposited a sizeable cardboard box on my doorstep. Inside it? My lovely "new" 80s Pioneer.

I stumbled across this SK-353L whilst idly perusing eBay. Wasn't particularly looking for one, but the styling caught my eye and it was described as perfect working order and VGC.

Certainly it's as described; there's only a couple of very small marks on the casing, the upper aluminium trim is loose where the adhesive has dried out (easily sorted with some double sided tape), otherwise it really is mint. Clearly been very well cared for. It came with the original manual as well, which again is in really tidy shape.

Other than recording (I've no blank tapes to hand), I've tested every function, and it works beautifully. Sound quality really is excellent; much as I love my other boxes, this one is very much a league above. The larger woofers give it a very decent amount of bass, mids and highs are nice and clear.

Best day of lockdown yet!

Attachments

jonny

Member (SA)
May 21, 2016
Thanks all. Really enjoying this thing. As it has a line-in and sits on the shelf over my desk, it's getting a lot of use as an active speaker for my laptop! Playing some ragga jungle on it at the moment; plenty of bass, which the Pioneer handles very nicely.

Bru87tr

Member (SA)
Apr 14, 2020
Massachusetts
Just registered. I just stumbled upon the Pioneers on eBay. Very cool looking bb.

I owned some bb in the 80’s. My last one in 1985? Was a Panasonic RX-5050. Not sure how I afforded it then as I was on my own at 17 yrs old, but working. I loved it and was looking for one on eBay, none nice enough for the prices people are trying to get for them and what I am willing to pay for condition.

Instead I seen a Pioneer SK-550 pop up on eBay for a reasonable price compared to others listed, still more than what I wanted to spend. I am hoping I like it, but it has two issues.

It stuck in record mode. So after reading here I am hoping I can get the door open and release it from record mode. Also, the tape counter button is missing and from what I can see, won’t prob find a replacement.

Never seen the pioneers till this week, very cool looking and hope it sounds as good as my old Penny.