What Paint is used on m90 woofers

sun209union

Member (SA)
Jan 16, 2017
Thatcham Berkshire UK
Please can anyone who has re coloured the m90 woofers tell me what to use to colour them I presume there supposed to be blue? Do you spray them or brush paint ?
Would you bother to recolour these or leave them as is.

Thank you 😊

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
Honestly I never cared for re coloring the m90 woofers as I like them to look original , its like when you see people use just for men to re color their beards lol.

Superduper

Member (SA)
Honestly, I see all these really really blue photos of M90 woofers when I first started collecting so I used to think there was something wrong with mine, but I’ve had over a dozen units cross my hands and never saw BLUE blue woofers. Usually they are some shade of gray, from very dark (almost black) to cloudy light. They always look really blue though, from the back side. I have a near new one with very little use, virtually no dust inside and no dust at all on the rear slats. That one was no exception, dark grey. So, a blue one would actually look a bit unnatural to me. Whether all were originally blue or dark gray, has already been discussed numerous times before so I won’t go there. However if I was presented with 2 identical M90s to buy; one with painted woofers and one with natural ones, I’d take the natural ones any day.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
You're right norm it's a crap shoot on which color you land up with when you buy the m90 but none the less I take them as they come and dont mess with the speakers at all.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
I personally don't like painting speakers or coloring them.
In one way or other it will affect the cone paper rigidity, crispiness and sound response.

Newclairtone7980

Member (SA)
Oct 15, 2017
ontario
ya your all right don't paint them. its a bad thing to do kills the sound and will kill the cones over time jvc used a lacquer over the fronts of cones that's why some are light grey or greyish black ...that's the way the cured..they were blue woofers..until jvc did that to them...that's why they are stiff.. I would never buy a jvc rc-m90 with blue woofers then you know they were painted.from the owner etc...……….and that is not factory specs from jvc

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
The M90 is the only radio I have known that had a coating from the factory applied to the face of the speaker. Unfortunately this doesn't prevent them from fading over the years.

The speaker color along with the VU color, has been and will continue to be, a debate by many.

My personal feeling is that the woofers were a dark purplish grey with a shiny finish. If they are light brown and dull this indicates sun exposure. I also look at the VUs the same way. If the area that, IMO is supposed to be red, is orange or yellow, to me, it means sun exposure.

The speakers on my M90 have not been painted and in direct sun light could pass as a dark grey and in specific lighting can show a purple color. My M70s are the same way.

All I can say is it would be extremely difficult to attempt to duplicate the OE color without it being obvious it was painted

Newclairtone7980

Member (SA)
Oct 15, 2017
ontario
yes your right all of mine are dark grey or light greyish when i see blue woofers boxes for sale i stay away from those m90 boxes cause i know they were painted woofers

oh ya forget to say when i bought my m90 woofers on here from a great member they wer so dirty that they wiped nice and clean...thank god jvc coated them or those woofers would have been garbage,

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
Transistorized said:
The M90 is the only radio I have known that had a coating from the factory applied to the face of the speaker. Unfortunately this doesn't prevent them from fading over the years.

The speaker color along with the VU color, has been and will continue to be, a debate by many.

My personal feeling is that the woofers were a dark purplish grey with a shiny finish. If they are light brown and dull this indicates sun exposure. I also look at the VUs the same way. If the area that, IMO is supposed to be red, is orange or yellow, to me, it means sun exposure.

The speakers on my M90 have not been painted and in direct sun light could pass as a dark grey and in specific lighting can show a purple color. My M70s are the same way.

All I can say is it would be extremely difficult to attempt to duplicate the OE color without it being obvious it was painted
the only other JVC was the m50 that had the poly coated woofers.

sun209union

Member (SA)
Jan 16, 2017
Thatcham Berkshire UK
Thank you to everyone for your answers, well mine appear to be a greyish black sorta colour same as you guys are all saying so I think a very careful dusting is all that’s needed here, iv seen m90s on eBay from like Russia for around £3000 there definitely blue! So I presume these are not original even though the m90 appears absolutely mint?
Thank you everyone 👍👍👍

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Greyish black is fine, but if they're some sort of ugly brown, paint them

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
My original m90 has the dark blue woofers but the other 2 I owned since then had gray woofers , I never could figure out why they fade but I have seen them factory new and they should be dark blue.

Superduper

Member (SA)
There may have been more than 1 color of the urethane coating, because fading by it's nature suggests a lightening of color. How do you get from blue to a very dark gray? We are presuming that every M90 ever produced were all identical. However, in my 50,000 electronics service manuals, I see technical publications where changes are made all the time. Sherwood is the very worse, has like 10 different schematics, some entirely different circuitry but all for the same model, due to constantly changing "updates" or "upgrades." On cosmetic changes, no service bulletin is possible since there is no electrical or functional change that a technician would need to be made aware of. Woofer color differences is certainly due to the urethane coating and not the woofer itself.