Could this be why I have no FM reception on Hitachi TRK 5280 ?

DPaignall

Member (SA)
Dec 8, 2019
Hi helpful people, picked up a beater 5280e to restore, it was in poor condition but salvageable, hopefully.

There is zero reception on FM but MW and LW are OK. There seems to be a problem next to the band switch; does anyone know what has gone 'pop' and is it easily repairable?

Attachments

Superduper

Member (SA)
I think that's wax or glue to set which looks like styrol capacitors in place. Usually the wax is tan color. Those capacitors are very stable and seldom ever fail. Plus they are NOT common run of the mill electrolytic capacitors (which can burst when they fail) and you may have trouble buying them plus they might affect alignment. In other words, unless you are sure they have failed, don't mess with them.

DPaignall

Member (SA)
Dec 8, 2019
Superduper said:
I think that's wax or glue to set which looks like styrol capacitors in place. Usually the wax is tan color. Those capacitors are very stable and seldom ever fail. Plus they are NOT common run of the mill electrolytic capacitors (which can burst when they fail) and you may have trouble buying them plus they might affect alignment. In other words, unless you are sure they have failed, don't mess with them.
That's good to hear, they didn't look right to me (as a newbie). Thank you.