Sanyo M9990 (and others with similar deck) deck clutch assembly

Bondo

Member (SA)
Mar 3, 2020
Hi to everyone here!
It's my first post, so nice to meet you all!

Recently I bought a "Nordmende Globecorder 4084" that seems to be a clone of Sanyo M9990.
Deck of this device was completely dead. After replacing loosen belts, it started working, but playback speed was low.
I noticed, there is no speed adjustment, so after reading forum, i've decided to disassembly clutch and auto-stop mechanism.

Old grease was removed, everything cleaned, shaft bearing lubricated. Then I assembled whole deck and... dead. Seems like clutch is permanently disengaged, or not tightened enough.

I'm not sure if I assembed the clutch correctly. When PLAY is pressed, you can still notice the clearance between metal lever and lower plate, by moving the reel towards the lever. The lower plate turns but the shaft stands still, so lower plate is not connected with upper plate. Do you have any photos of what elements should be mounted in the clutch, that makes everything tight? That would help me a lot. Metal clutch lever is mounted correctly.

current assembly, starting from top:

0. Clutch lever
1. C-clip
2. Bushing
3. Little bushing
4. Upper plate
5. Lower pulley with lining material
6. Reel with shaft

Is this correct?

Have a nice day!
Damian.

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
Springs are often misplaced or lost which are crucial for some movements but yes, as Superduper says, photos might help.

Superduper

Member (SA)
m9990_clutch.png

Here you go. I will say that the clutch slipping is very common on these models. Over time, the felt pad rubs the plastic until it becomes smooth and does not grip. You need to make sure that the felt lining is attached to lower plate and not loose (glue if it is). Then using abrasive pad, scuff the upper disk to deglaze it and add some grip to it. Then reassemble. Also make sure springs are properly reinstalled. If the lever spring is not on right, it will not push down on the upper disc with enough force to grip.

Bondo

Member (SA)
Mar 3, 2020
Thanks a lot! The biggest problem is fact, that deck was working before disassembling the clutch. Playback was a bit slow, fast forward was really slow, but it worked. Now, the reel is not turning. Lever spring is attached correctly.

Is this exploded view picture available in higher resolution? I'm not sure about parts 353 and 354. In my deck, there is only single spacer between 351 and 347. I don't remember losing any parts....

thinkchronicity

Member (SA)
Jul 5, 2018
Surrey, UK
my deck, there is only single spacer between 351 and 347. I don't remember losing any parts....
Did you ever get yours working right?
In the middle of clutch disassembly for the first time here. I can also confirm that like you, i only have a single spacer between 351 and 347.
The white disc below: does that come off by force alone? Bit concerned the reel spindle attached on the other side might snap off first.

Update: it's ok, it's off. Softly softly catchy monkey...

Last edited: