Rare? Citizen Ghettobalaster - What's it worth ?

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
I dont know what its worth but its one of the rarest boxes I have ever come across.

Its so rare you hardly ever even see a picture of one.

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
There are a few akas of this unit, not mega rare but rare enough indeed as brother Floyd states.
Have a browse around and you will see other names of the same box eg: teleton.
Value wise, whatever you think its worth, they sounds very good.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
A pity the speakers are so small, trying to look big behind those big grills lol

But yes it's rare, and if you clean it up you might be able to make a profit.

Robb

Member (SA)
Feb 29, 2012
Toronto Canada
Im looking to buy this... I dont own it.
Can someone give me an idea ? The person selling doesnt know the value.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Low-ball him then. Start with $50 and go up to $100.
If you don't like it you could easily re-sell it for $200+

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
Dont underestimate those small woofers ,sometimes a properly powered smaller woofer will smoke an underpowered larger woofer. Its an awesome looking mid sized box.

In Canada you could buy this unit in the 80s from Consumers Distributing I think? My older brother had this Boombox while we were growing up! It has sentimental value for me! I was four years younger than him, but had befriended a neighbour who was also a DJ. He made electro funk tapes for me, so although I could barely keep this unit off the ground when I was 12, my brother would let me carry it around since they were my tapes..great memories of feeling important with the big kids!
I bought one when I started collecting and paid to get it fully restored and working, but by then I had an M70, M90, and others so it faded away a bit and I sold it when I moved—kind of regret it now—hope you love it! If you don’t, let me know, I’m sure we could work something out:)

Superduper

Member (SA)
I saw one for sale many years ago on eBay, from a known canada seller. I wanted to bid on it but forgot.... it sold for about $120 usd or so. I think I might have seen another one at some point, but either the condition or price didn't interest me and I can't remember details. Haven't really seen them after that so they are pretty hard to find, although I'll bet they are much more common in Canada where it seems most Citizen and Candle stuff come from.

Feature wise, it's pretty much the same as the JVC RC-M80 although undeniably, much more attractive looking. Same unusual tuner too. At this point in my hobby, I'm not really looking for another though so admittedly, if more has come up, I missed it because I'm really no longer looking.

Robb

Member (SA)
Feb 29, 2012
Toronto Canada
jameswp67 said:
In Canada you could buy this unit in the 80s from Consumers Distributing I think? My older brother had this Boombox while we were growing up! It has sentimental value for me! I was four years younger than him, but had befriended a neighbour who was also a DJ. He made electro funk tapes for me, so although I could barely keep this unit off the ground when I was 12, my brother would let me carry it around since they were my tapes..great memories of feeling important with the big kids!
Consumers Distributing was the bomb ! I have many vintage store catalogs stashed away ! Shop Rite as well !

Brutus442

Member (SA)
Jan 7, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Robb said:
Consumers Distributing was the bomb ! I have many vintage store catalogs stashed away ! Shop Rite as well !
I still have my first boombox, a Candle JTR 1249 purchased from Consumers Distributing. For those living in the UK I believe it's similar to Argos.

I still have a few PDF's of the old catalogs. Great memories

Robb

Member (SA)
Feb 29, 2012
Toronto Canada
jameswp67 said:
I saw one for sale many years ago on eBay, from a known canada seller. I wanted to bid on it but forgot.... it sold for about $120 usd or so.

That might have been me selling it when I did a big purge and sold an M90, M70, Big Ben, Sanyo 920, Tosh wx-1, and a few others when I was moving into a smaller place...
I saw your old video on youtube....old as in terrible video quality hahaha