Any top tips for aerial tips? JVC 9475 Restoration

DPaignall

Member (SA)
Dec 8, 2019
Just picked up this little JVC 9475 for £10 :-) . It's built like a tank but the aerial tips have gone walkies. Does anyone know how to reattach the missing ends on the aerials? I've extended them by inserting a tight fitting screw but would appreciate any advice you can offer.

Attachments

DPaignall

Member (SA)
Dec 8, 2019
caution said:
What you did is about as good as you can do without buying new aerials.
OK thanks, I've taken the unit apart to re-belt it but there is damage to two of the plastic gears so it looks like the tape section is a no go for now. It will get the refurb treatment (it smells like a scrapyard car), there's a line in so will still be useful. :-)

DPaignall

Member (SA)
Dec 8, 2019
I've used some flexible putty called Loctite Kintsuglue to make my own tips. It hardens into solid plastic/rubber and can be sanded and polished. From the right angle and distance it looks OK.

Attachments

jonny

Member (SA)
May 21, 2016
It took a bit of digging on eBay, but I eventually found some Fixapart branded antennas, sold by a UK based seller and available in a decent variety of sizes. They quote both retracted and extended lengths as well as diameter, whereas a lot of sellers just quote the extended length and leave the rest to guesswork!

Possibly a bit OCD but I wanted the antennas to look as close to my boxes' original ones as possible; these ones have cylindrical chromed tips, as opposed to plastic or mushroom shaped.

They haven't arrived yet so I can't speak for the quality.

Cool JVC by way!