Customized woofered Nat 5350

jronyc

Member (SA)
Mar 10, 2018
NYC
Thought it would be cool to incorporate a "subwoofer" into an old school BB. I had a shot I mean shot 5350. After 3 days of soldering the 5350'a cracked board. Getting it to power up and the tape deck to work I finally gave up when I couldn't get sound out of it for the life of me! The board was cracked end to end and was missing chunks in two places. I'm sure integrated circuitry was missing! Sooo... I decided this would be a cool box to build from because of the indentation on the rear case. I built a box out of wood from within the indentation, fiber-glassed and then bondoed it to give it a uniform look. I kept the stock 8 inch speakers, installed Bose tweets and a 6 inch aluminum "sub" in the back box. I purchased a 2.1 channel amp from Amazon. 50Wx2 L&R and 100W to the sub. Mounted on the inside of the box with the controls sticking out the side. Even though the sub is 2 inches smaller than the stockers, it hits hard!! The amp has separate vol and frequency controls for the sub. Great feature!

I've attached some pics of the process. I had a couple different color variations and a couple of failed hydro-graphics dips before finally getting it to work. I ended with shape shift galaxy blue on the rear and trims and went with oil slick hydro-graphics on the front case. With the way the paint changes color in the light it complements the oil slick front graphics. I found out in the process that the rear sub box and speaker after glassing and bondo was stupid rear heavy!! So I wired in a 8AH 12V dry cell rechargeable battery with a trickle charger wired in line with the power so charges when it's plugged in. With that big battery in the front and that heavy box and speaker in the back the box is even keeled now, although it weighs 50lbs!! I listened to it all weekend probably a good 5-6 hours a day and never plugged it in! I know some people will hate but BELIEVE me I saved this box from the scrap yard AND I kept ALL the stock components inside should someone in the future want to try where I failed!

Failed Soldering job.jpg
Soldering job fail.jpg
Back of Nat 5350.jpg
Start of speaker box integration.jpg
Fiber glassed.jpg
Bondo.jpg
First color scheme.jpg
Second Color Scheme.jpg
First Hydrodip Carbon Fiber FAILED Gray Spots.jpg
Second Hydrodip Failed.  Bare spots needed to be primed. Slid of bare spots.jpg
Third times a charm!.jpg
2.1 Channel amp.jpg
Tricklecharger.jpg
Dry Cell Batt.jpg
2.1 Channel face plate before paint and restencil.jpg
2.1 Channel face plate after paint and stencil.jpg
Close up of front with Bose emblem.jpg
5350 Straight on front.jpg
5350 Straight on front.jpg
20200224_162122.jpg
Rear Sub Box 5350.jpg
Top shift color.jpg

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
That is different but did you know that this unit has dual sided circuit board with built in resistors on such? That is probably why you couldn’t repair it.